Boxing thread

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
There's no reason to revisit the Lomachenko fight. Loma fought scared and lost the first seven and the 12th cleanly. Maybe it could've gone differently but it didn't and now Loma has to live with the result. Lopez can't make 135 anymore and Loma would be crazy to move up to 140.

Anyway, Fulton vs Figueroa is a hell of a fight on Showtime right now.
I think Lomachenko would put up a much better fight, but it is not going to happen.

Lots of good boxing these last few weeks of 2021.

I'm recording the Showtime card. Ill.check it out tomorrow

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't think Lomachenko can take Lopez's punches. That's why he was so terrified in the first half of that fight. He had to tire Lopez out before he could open up and actually try to box him.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Cards were too wide on the Fulton vs Figueroa fight but I don't have a problem with the actual result.

I scored it 6-6 but I would have been fine with 7-5 either way.

famicommander

15 Year Member

I know these boxer vs MMA sideshow fights are getting popular and I know there have been some upsets on both sides.

But people need to acknowledge there's a difference between matching retired, out of shape, or out of their weight class boxers against MMA legends versus what happened tonight.

Pulev is an active heavyweight contender. He's not 58 like Holyfield, he didn't miss weight by 5 pounds like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, he's not a bum like the 0-4 boxer they put in there against the 2-1 MMA fighter on this gong show card, he's not Paulie Malinaggi breaking both of his hands in his bare knuckle boxing debut. Pulev has lost two fights, both in world title challenges, against Wladimir Klitschko and Anthony Joshua. That's it.

They could've gotten Frank Mir killed with this nonsense. It's a good thing Pulev was smarter than the ref and decided not to finish him off. Very classy thing to do.

If you'll recall, Frank Mir fought former cruiserweight boxing champion Steve Cunningham on an earlier Triller gongshow card. Cunningham took the fight on late notice, hadn't boxed at all in over four years, peaked at cruiserweight way back in 2007, and was outweighed by Mir by 70 pounds in that fight. And Cunningham still won 6 rounds to 0, and it looked like he could've knocked Mir out at any point past the third round if he'd wanted to.

There was absolutely no reason to expect any different result than what we got here.

famicommander

15 Year Member
riEWQmV.gif

L3NOFbS.gif

Fire this ref. I've seen him in UFC and BKFC in the past but I've never seen him do something this stupid. These fighters' lives are in the hands of referees and this ref could've gotten Mir killed if Pulev were more aggressive.

famicommander

15 Year Member
8-4, was off, maybe 7-5, but 6-6 would've lead to a great rematch.
Fulton offered him a rematch after the decision was read anyway.

Fulton can make the second fight, if it happens, much easier on himself by staying at the midrange. He decided to engage in a firefight with Figueroa this time, but whenever he was keeping the right distance and counter-punching he was easily winning. He fought Figueroa's fight and still walked out with the belts; next time he needs to fight his fight like he did against Angelo Leo.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Actually, I guess after the fight Figueroa said he's moving up in weight.

So he claimed robbery, got offered a rematch in the ring, and turned it down. That says a lot.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah but those in ring rematch offers don't tend to hold water. He said that about moving up because he was piesed. I dunno I think he did enough to win.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah but those in ring rematch offers don't tend to hold water. He said that about moving up because he was piesed. I dunno I think he did enough to win.
Both guys are promoted by PBC, there's no reason to think the rematch couldn't happen if Figueroa wanted it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Right, he was just not in the right mindset. I thought he conducted himself pretty pathetically
He acted shamefully.

Like I said, I personally scored it a draw. I would've been fine with 7-5 either way.

But Brandon should roll with the punches, even if he thought he won, because those of us who remember his fight versus Julio Ceja feel he was fortunate to have been handed a draw in that one.

This was a close enough fight that it's ridiculous to call it a robbery either way, no matter whom you had winning.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Anthony Joshua has suggested that for the right price he might accept step-aside money, waive his right to a rematch with Usyk, and allow Usyk to fight Fury for the undisputed heavyweight championship.

Hopefully that's what happens. Imagine this PPV:
Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk for the undisputed WBA, WBC, WBO, IBF, IBO, Ring, and Lineal Heavyweight Championship
Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua in an eliminator for a mandatory title shot
Andy Ruiz, Jr. vs Dillian Whyte for the WBC interim title in an eliminator

Of course that probably won't happen because it would be awesome and boxing is boxing.

And of course, Whyte doesn't actually want eliminators or title shots. He just wants the WBC to strip Fury and declare him champion. Whyte is literally suing the WBC right now over what he figures is too low of a purse split with Fury, which is why Fury is even free for a possible Usyk fight. Whyte could drop his dumbass lawsuit and get the Fury fight any time but he won't.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Hilarious that Ryan Garcia, Gervonta Davis, and Devin Haney suddenly want to fight for the lightweight title now that a lesser puncher like Kambosos has the belts.

All them boys was oddly quiet when Lomachenko and Lopez were champion.

I hope Kambosos whoops all those cherry picking cowards.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fulton again calling out Figueroa to accept the rematch today. Let's see if he takes it or if he really intends to move up.

If not, Fulton should immediately try to fight Murodjon Akmadaliev. That would be for all the belts and the vacant lineal title, as TBRB currently has them ranked #1 and #2 respectively and each man has two belts.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lots of big fights just got fucked by COVID travel restrictions.

Gennadiy Golovkin's WBA/IBF/IBO unification fight against Ryota Murata has been pushed into next year
Kazuto Ioka's WBO/IBF unification with Jerwin Ancajas also postponed

Former two division world champion Victoria Bustos cannot make it into the US for her fight with undisputed WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO/IBO/Ring/Lineal welteweight champion Jessica McCaskill tomorrow, and has been replaced with the much less exciting journeywoman challanger Kandi Wyatt.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Big week for lightweights

Going by the TBRB rankings

Tonight:
#4 Devin Haney (WBC Champion) vs #9 JoJo Diaz (WBC interim champion, former IBF super featherweight champion)

Tomorrow:
#8 Gervonta Davis (WBA "Regular" champion) vs #6 Issac Cruz

Next Saturday:
#2 Vasiliy Lomachenko (former 3 division champion) vs #5 Richard Commey (former IBF lightweight champion)

This is actually the highest ranked opponent Davis has ever faced, which just goes to show you how soft his resume is. This will be his 26th pro fight and only his 3rd opponent ranked in the top 10 of the division he's fighting them in at the time of the fight. His usual MO is to fight a former world champion several years after their prime in a much higher weight (he did it with Cristobal Cruz, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Leo Santa Cruz, and Hugo Ruiz). The only person he fought who actually was ranked AND held a belt at the same time was when he took the IBF super featherweight strap from Jose Pedraza, who was the lowest ranked belt holder at the time at #7.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I also respect that Kambosos is still in the US and showing up to the media events for all these other lightweight contender fights.

He wants to fight the winners of these three fights. He could easily take all his belts back to Australia and defend them against mandatory challengers for years, but instead he's calling out the rest of the division.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Haney got the win tonight but he got rocked badly again, multiple times, against a much smaller fighter.

If Haney fights Kambosos he'll get knocked out. Haney is huge for the division and Diaz is tiny for the division and Haney still almost got put down more than once.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Gervonta Davis got a gift tonight.

I had it 114-114 but the judges handed Davis the A-side decision.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Media complicit running with this broken hand narrative.

Wilder broke his hand in both losses against Fury. Guess what? Nobody cares, Fury won.

Floyd broke both of his hands in about 7 of his final 10 pro fights. Again, nobody felt sorry for him.

Davis got exposed. This was the highest ranked opponent he's ever faced and he got backed up and hurt multiple times by a much smaller man.

It's no wonder he's been ducking Lomachenko for years. And he'd better stay FAR away from Kambosos.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Andrade dropping the WBO 160 belt to avoid his mandatory challenger.

He plans to go up to 168 and become the mandatory challenger to Canelo there, even though he KNOWS Canelo won't fight at 168 again. He's going to cruiseweight and then back to 175.

Andrade just wants to continue pretending like he wants to fight the best all while never stepping into the ring with any legitimate contenders. He's the biggest fraud in boxing right now.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Roy Jones Jr, James Toney, Miguel Cotto, Holly Holm, and Regina Halmich have been elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame class of 2022.

Extremely well deserved across the board.

Jones: 66-9, 4 division world champion (middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight)
Toney: 77-10-3-2, 3 division world champion (middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight)
Cotto: 41-6, 4 division world champion (super lightweight, welterweight, super welterweight, middleweight)
Holly Holm: 33-2-2, 3 division world champion (super lightweight, welterweight, super welterweight)
Halmich: 54-1-1, multiple world titles (she fought most of her career before the big 4 recognized women's titles at all, but she won 3)

famicommander

15 Year Member
Because the last two induction ceremonies were canceled due to COVID, the 2020 and 2021 classes will go in at the same time. So it will be the most stacked induction of all time.

Class of 2020:
Bernard Hopkins
Juan Manuel Marquez
Shane Mosley
Christy Martin
Lucia Rijker

Class of 2021:
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Wladimir Klitschko
Andre Ward
Laila Ali
Ann Wolfe

Class of 2022:
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Miguel Cotto
Holly Holm
Regina Hamlich

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Media complicit running with this broken hand narrative.

Wilder broke his hand in both losses against Fury. Guess what? Nobody cares, Fury won.

Floyd broke both of his hands in about 7 of his final 10 pro fights. Again, nobody felt sorry for him.

Davis got exposed. This was the highest ranked opponent he's ever faced and he got backed up and hurt multiple times by a much smaller man.

It's no wonder he's been ducking Lomachenko for years. And he'd better stay FAR away from Kambosos.
Come on now. I'm a Davis fan but seeing Cruz go forward the way he did all through the fight, like Mexicans do, I was rooting for him (though he didn't have enough tools for the job).
Would not say he got exposed, was just a very unconfortable fight for him, a more orthodox fighter such as Lomachenko would get rocked and shoock against Davis in my opinion. Just a different type of fight.
I thought Davis won but not convincingly. Still, when he showed the goods I thought he looked very impressive. Some fighters (Mexicans) just don't read the script. Time after time making trouble for the top tier fighters. Hoping Cruz get's some good fights from here on outt, he's only 23.

I don't see him having ducked Loma that much. He's just now reaching an age where he has the experience and maturity enough to face someone like him.

Maravilla Martinez is going to fight has 3rd fight since he came back, good for him though i'm not too interested in watching him, I remember when he was actually pretty great and beat a few decent fighters some 11 years ago and more. After that zzz. Met his grandad by chance one night. Dude was about 85 and pretty drunk, blind in one eye from boxing the old days. Still had good strengh for an old man through a few punches, arma where still in good shape. Was really cool night, had a long chat with him.

Last edited: