Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Come on now. I'm a Davis fan but seeing Cruz go forward the way he did all through the fight, like Mexicans do, I was rooting for him (though he didn't have enough tools for the job).
Would not say he got exposed, was just a very unconfortable fight for him, a more orthodox fighter such as Lomachenko would get rocked and shoock against Davis in my opinion. Just a different type of fight.
I thought Davis won but not convincingly. Still, when he showed the goods I thought he looked very impressive. Some fighters (Mexicans) just don't read the script. Time after time making trouble for the top tier fighters. Hoping Cruz get's some good fights from here on outt, he's only 23.

I don't see him having ducked Loma that much. He's just now reaching an age where he has the experience and maturity enough to face someone like him.
Davis is 27 years old and he has never faced anyone ranked above #6 in the world at the time of the fight.

And he literally said he wanted no part of Lomachenko. He said anyone who wanted him to fight Loma was, "Tryna get me beat"

Davis has a garbage resume. Cruz had 0 top 10 wins and he's by far Tank's best win. That's pathetic.

3 top 10 wins in 26 fights at age 27. That's Tank's whole resume. His modus operandi is to face 37 year old former super bantamweight fighters at super featherweight, or featherweights at lightweight.

Naoya Inoue is the same age as Tank and has faced 9 top 10 fighters and 8 world champions. This despite recently going on the Bob Arum bum diet. 3X as many top 10 fighters in 7 fewer fights.

Teofimo Lopez is 24 and he has already faced 4 top 10 guys in 17 fights. He was 22 when he beat Lomachenko from pillar to post.

Devin Haney is 23 and has faced better competition than Davis, despite his own soft resume.

Shakur Stevenson is a 24 year old super featherweight and he's calling out Lomachenko right now for a fight.

Tank is a manufactured bum-blaster hypejob. By the time Floyd was his age he'd already beaten Genaro Hernandez, Gregorio Vargas, Jesus Chavez, Carlos Hernandez, Diego Corrales, Jose Luis Castillo twice, and DeMarcus Corley. His next fight was Arturo Gatti. I bet you any amount of money Tank doesn't fight someone as good as Gatti next.

If he's not in jail I'm sure his next opponent will be much softer than Cruz (Tank has 14 pending charges from his hit and run and other pending charges from choking the mother of his children at a basketball game).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah you make great points. Still, I think Davis is an exiting fighter, but what you say is undeniable

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah you make great points. Still, I think Davis is an exiting fighter, but what you say is undeniable
It's easy to look exciting when they build your name by feeding you names like Cristobal Cruz, Hugo Ruiz, or Yuriorkis Gamboa.

All very good fighters in their own eras and their own weight classes.

But for Cruz, that era was 5 years prior to the Davis fight and 1 weight class down. He was 0-4-1 in his previous 5 when Davis got him.

Hugo Ruiz was 3 weight classes and 3 years from his title reign when Davis fought him.

Gamboa was 2 weight classes and 8 years past his title reign.

He's a talented guy but so was Adrien Broner. And Tank is already getting arrested with the same frequency of Broner, and fighting softer names than Broner. In 3 years he'll literally be Broner, except Broner won legit titles in 4 divisions while Tank has a legit title in 1 division on top of several fake ass "Regular" belts.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mmmh... Time will tell. Broner has skills deffo, but he got beat up and that was that. Talked too much. Davis is different.
I think he has the punch that better fighters don't. We'll see what happens as long as he can stay straight.

The previous fight to that one with the lanky Mexican Fundora was just no. Watched him fight before. Seems like a nice guy and has some good fundamentals. But I really dislike these freakshow bouts. A ridiculous fighter.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Mmmh... Time will tell. Broner has skills deffo, but he got beat up and that was that. Talked too much. Davis is different.
I think he has the punch that better fighters don't. We'll see what happens as long as he can stay straight.

The previous fight to that one with the lanky Mexican Fundora was just no. Watched him fight before. Seems like a nice guy and has some good fundamentals. But I really dislike these freakshow bouts. A ridiculous fighter.
Davis has the WBA "Regular" belt at both 135 and 140.

That means he could force a mandatory fight with George Kambosos (or Teofimo, or Loma when they had the WBA Super) or Josh Taylor any time he wants. Especially since the WBA seems to do whatever Al Haymon/PBC tell them to do.

No excuses. He can literally fight the lineal champion in two different weight classes any time he wants and he continues to duck them.

Broner is a stupid clown and should be in jail but he has wins in the ring over Daniel Ponce de Leon, Antonio DeMaco, Gavin Rees, and Paulie Malinaggi all during or near their title reigns in their natural weights.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah part of Broner's problem was his lack of humility which he could play with when he was still unbeaten. That Maidana fight has gone down as a cautionary tale. You're not Mayweather, you can't cash that check so don't go there.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah part of Broner's problem was his lack of humility which he could play with when he was still unbeaten. That Maidana fight has gone down as a cautionary tale. You're not Mayweather, you can't cash that check so don't go there.
Tank has been following in Broner's path every step of the way, except he's fighting softer competition.

Beating women, losing belts on the scales, pretending to be the next Mayweather, talking trash.

All Tank needs now is a substance abuse problem.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not the same breed of boxer or mindset. Troubled yes, but spurred on by a different type of fire. Also he is just more attractive as a prospect than Broner ever was. Say what you will he pulls in the crowds. Maybe he will get beaten sooner rather than later, but I bet he has a better chin on him than Broner

famicommander

15 Year Member
Not the same breed of boxer or mindset. Troubled yes, but spurred on by a different type of fire. Also he is just more attractive as a prospect than Broner ever was. Say what you will he pulls in the crowds. Maybe he will get beaten sooner rather than later, but I bet he has a better chin on him than Broner
Davis was hurt badly multiple times against the much smaller dude in this recent fight. He especially didn't like those body shots.

I'd take Lomachenko or Kambosos to ice Davis and Kambosos isn't even a very big puncher. But he's a natural lightweight in his prime, so of course Davis won't fight him.

Teofimo would've launched Tank's skull into the third row.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sounds like the WBO is going to sanction Lomachenko vs Commey as a final eliminator. The winner will get a mandatory crack at George Kambosos.

Hopefully Kambosos can get the Haney fight beforehand, that way the whole WBC/WBC Franchise bullshit will be settled at we'll have a true undisputed champion.

So yeah, Kambosos is hopefully looking at Haney and Lomachenko in 2022.

Maybe by 2023 Tank Davis will finally accept the shot he has in his back pocket, but I doubt it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tomorrow on ESPN:
Vasyl Lomachenko vs Richard Commy
Jared Anderson vs Oleksandr Teslenko
Nico Ali Walsh (Muhammad Ali's grandson) vs Reyes Sanchez
Also on the card is US Olympic Silver Medalist Keyshawn Davis

On Showtime tomorrow:
Nonito Donaire defends his WBC bantamweight world title against interim titlist Raymart Gaballo
Brandun Lee vs Juan Heraldez

On DAZN tomorrow:
Conor Benn vs Chris Algieri
Katie Taylor defends her undisputed WBA/WBC/IBF/WBO/Ring/Lineal lightweight title against Firuza Sharipova

Not on TV tomorrow:
Sunny Edwards defends his IBF flyweight title vs Jason Mama
Donnie Nietes returns in a tune up
Dmitry Bivol defends his WBA light heavyweight title against Umar Salamov
former WBO super welterweight champ Patrick Teixeira vs Magomed Kurbanov

Two surefire Hall of Famers fighting tomorrow in Loma and Donaire. Watch these guys while you can.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Damn, that's a lot.
I wish they would show the Bivol fight
Might be able to find a stream but it's in Russia so it'd be on at a crazy hour.

John Riel Casimero was supposed to be fighting too but he missed weight and now says he has gastritis. The WBO will have Butler, the guy he was supposed to defend against, fight 41 year old Joseph Agbeko for the interim title instead. Then they will have independent doctors examine Casimero to determine if he has a legitimate medical reason to pull out of the fight or if he's just making excuses for not being in shape. If his reason is ruled legitimate, Casimero will defend the title against the Butler/Agbeko winner when he is able. If not, Casimero will be stripped of his belt and the Butler/Agbeko winner will automatically be elevated to full WBO bantamweight champion.

This is what sucks about the alphabet soup governing bodies. Agbeko is a former 2X world champion, but he's 41 years old and his title reigns ended in 2007 and 2011 respectively. Neither he nor Butler is ranked in the top 10 of the division by TBRB, Ring Magazine, BoxRec, or ESPN. There is no way this should be a world title fight.

Just a reminder that the WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO aren't usually interested in crowning champions. They're interested in filling vacancies.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Kambosos says that Gervonta Davis has no interest in a fight, so his next fight will either be Lomachenko or Devin Haney, depending on who's available.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It was a horribly boring fight. Bivol won every round easily, didn't seek the KO.

Donnie Nietes got a draw. I thought maybe he deserved the win but he looked old and slow, and his opponent thought it was supposed to be a 12 rounder but it was changed to a 10 rounder midweek and nobody told him.

Katie Taylor defended her belts but she looked pretty bad. If they actually make the Serrano fight next year, Serrano will destroy her.

Sunny Edwards easily defended his belt. Got rocked a couple times early but won at least 10 rounds.

The Teixeira fight was canceled as the opponent woke up with a high fever and is now in quarantine.

The Edwards/Nietes card ended up being broadcast on AXS TV here, which was unexpected but appreciated.

Algieri vs Benn is about to start, and then all the Euro fights are done and we switch to the ESPN and Showtime cards.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nico Ali Walsh got a gift tonight. He deserved a draw, got handed a W.

ESPN pushing him as the second coming of Muhammad Ali but he's a novice. Also weird that they seem to be going out of their way not to mention Laila Ali or show her on camera. They kept showing Nico's parents on camera but cutting Laila out of frame even though she was sitting right next to them.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Saying that Lomachenko is the complete package is the most obvious thing that one could soy. A sportsman above all else.
Commey is pure heart, it wasn't really a fair fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Loma was just too much for Commey. I think this is probably the end of the line for Richard. Got blown away by Lopez, overwhelmed by Lomachenko.

Brandun Lee looked good again.

Abdukakharov god the fuckin' shit beaten outta him by Cody Crowley. Lost his mandatory challenger status for Spence's IBF title. Probably for the best because Spence would've murdered him.

Donaire up next.

Lomachenko fight ended just in time to see Nunes get destroyed by Pena's jab at UFC 268. Shocking upset there too.

Crazy day of fights overall.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another KO win for Nonito Donaire. Unlike his fellow 39 year old countryman, Donaire does NOT look old or slow.

Also, dude didn't even bring a trainer for his world title defense. Just a cutman and his wife. What a badass.

famicommander

15 Year Member
BqJnlWB.gif

I believe that's the 23rd knockdown Donaire has scored off a left hook in his career.

famicommander

15 Year Member
February 5, Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs Carlos Cuadras II for the WBC Super flyweight Championship.

Cuadras beat Sor Rungvisai for the same belt in 2014.

The winner is expected to face the winner of Chocolatito vs Juan Francisco Estrada III, which is for the WBA/Ring/Lineal titles.

As I've said many times before, these are the modern day Four Kings. Every single time any of the four are in the ring together, it's an epic war of a fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
November 17, 2012: Chocolatito def. Estrada UD 12
May 31, 2014: Cuadras def. Sor Rungvisai TD 8
September 16, 2016: Chocolatito def. Cuadras UD 12
March 18, 2017: Sor Rungvisai def. Chocolatito MD 12
September 9, 2017: Sor Rungvisai def. Chocolatito KO 4
September 9, 2017: Estrada def. Cuadras UD 12 (robbery, but still a great fight)
February 24, 2018: Sor Rungvisai def. Estrada MD 12
April 26, 2019: Estrada def. Sor Rungvisai UD 12
October 23, 2020: Estrada def. Cuadras TKO 11
March 13, 2021: Estrada def. Chocolatito SD 12 (robbery, but great fight)

Look at this. And now Cuadras and SSR are fighting each other for a second time and Chocolatito and Estrada are going at it for a third, to set up yet another showdown between the winners.

Can you imagine if the best fighters in EVERY division did a round robin like this?

Spence, Crawford, Ugas, and Garcia?
Kambosos, Lomachenko, Haney, and Davis?
Fury, Wilder, Usyk, and Joshua/Ruiz?
Inoue, Donaire, Casimero, and Rodriguez?

At super fly none of the top names are afraid to take an L, or to put in the work it takes to get back to the top after a loss. They just keep on fighting the best guys they can find.