Broken Neo Geo CD

Azuos

n00b
Hello people, as you can see I'm new here but I have visited the forum some times and, now, I come here in need for help.

A few months ago I bought a broken Neo Geo CD, I bought it because it was really cheap (~US$20), with box, 2 controllers, RF Cable, PSU and 6 complete games (Alpha Mission 2, Aero Fighters 2, Real Bout Special, KOF95, Samurai Shodown 3 and Super Sidekicks 2 ). The problem is, it was working all right but, they stopped using it 10 years ago, without turning it on even once so, when I turn it on the led lights and I can hear the bios music and just it. There is no video and the game does not start.

If you want I can post some video of it (not) working and some pictures of the inside.
Can any body help me? :(

it can be the video encoder.

you should try to boot up a game, best choice is alpha mission 2 since it loads intro attract mode not into the game menu.

after the bios music wait ~20 seconds for the system to recognize de game cd.

press start at controller 1.

wait a solid minute until the game loads up.

you should hear the game music if everything else is working.

Azuos

n00b
I tried a few times and, in one of them, did it with the tray open, while pressing the "detector", to see if the console is at least spinning and reading the disc but, even though I'm certain the system believes it's closed, the disc it not spinning. If I depress the pin and press again while the system is on (after the bios music) the disc goes round 1 or 2 times and them stop, like if the system don't see the disc there.

Btw, forgot to say, I already checked for blown capacitors, they all seems to be ok.

Does it means that I should change both the video IC and the CD Drive ?

just to be sure, have you pressed start? Games doesn´t start up automatically on the neo cd, you must press start.

You should plug the system on an old CRT TV, recent TVs doesn´t like neo video signal.

If it´s indeed not working, first you should deal with the video issue, replacing the Sony CXA1645 which is located at the system´s back sub board.

It´s also a good idea to check for continuity at the 5v, ground and sync line, displayed at the link below.

http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html?show=ngcdrgb

After you get the video working, then do the laser gain mod

Last edited:

Azuos

n00b
Thank you very much, guys, I try it all. I bought the IC today, I waiting until it arrives and them I'll tell you if it works. :)

sackashiet

Banned
Thank God I found this before I went to take my NeoCD to a Electronics Repair Shop! Took me 10 minutes (if that), and my NeoCD works flawlessly now. After I did the laser adjustment I played it all day, and into the late night! Good Times Man.

thats awesome man, $20 for the systrem and all you had to do was adjust the laser. pretty nice score

Breetai

New Challenger
Like the OP, I also picked up a Neo CD recently for the very same price. Not only the same price... but also the same problem (my AES issue is on hold until I feel like getting back to it).

I can hear all the audio; start up music, and also game music. The CD is definitely spinning and games are working. It is a video issue. Am I right in assuming that I ought to be replacing the Sony CXA1645? If so, where can I can one and for how much?

This is an extra unit (as is my AES with the video issue), so I'm not horribly bothered... but it is very annoying.

And, before anyone asks... it's not my TV. I'm using a Sony Trinitron HD-CRT and other Neo CD and AES systems work just fine on it.

edit: I just read else where that the CXA1645 can be found in a Playstation or Saturn. I can get either for $5.

Is it possible to just pick it out with a screwdriver and plop it in the Neo CD?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you test all connections? Composite, S-video and Composite via the AV socket? And no video? I doubt the encoder died as I have yet to see one die.

Make sure your console isn't a PAL one.

Breetai

New Challenger
Did you test all connections? Composite, S-video and Composite via the AV socket? And no video? I doubt the encoder died as I have yet to see one die.
Yup, tested all three video connections. Definitely no video. And, just because you haven't seen one die doesn't mean that they don't die. The very idea that they die was already proposed in this thread (and else where on the net).

Any other suggestions?

Make sure your console isn't a PAL one.
Good grief man. I'm in Japan and bought a Japanese console from a used Japanese electronics shop with a Japanese PSU that matches the console. It even has the receipt from the shop it was bought from in Japan back in September 1994. 100% Japanese.

I know you're trying to help and lots of people (including me) do miss obvious things, but this is definitely an NTSC-J console. I have four Neo Geo CD systems (3 top loader, 1 front loader). It's the same as the others.

Also, I checked under the sub-board (video board). Looks like I might be soldering for the first time in my life. Any tips?

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Any other suggestions?

dick-anim-mini.jpg

Suggestions? Yeah don't be such a dick! XX's questions are warranted, just be glad he offered his two cents to try and help you out! :shame:

Better yet..... go pick up a mame setup and play teh roms, douche!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yup, tested all three video connections. Definitely no video. And, just because you haven't seen one die doesn't mean that they don't die. The very idea that they die was already proposed in this thread (and else where on the net).

Any other suggestions?

Good grief man. I'm in Japan and bought a Japanese console from a used Japanese electronics shop with a Japanese PSU that matches the console. It even has the receipt from the shop it was bought from in Japan back in September 1994. 100% Japanese.

I know you're trying to help and lots of people (including me) do miss obvious things, but this is definitely an NTSC-J console. I have four Neo Geo CD systems (3 top loader, 1 front loader). It's the same as the others.

Also, I checked under the sub-board (video board). Looks like I might be soldering for the first time in my life. Any tips?

Well, since you're a repair n00b, you're going to get asked the obvious questions because n00bs miss the obvious sometimes. Chill the fuck out.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Any other suggestions?

Wow, welcome to the fucking forums. How may I serve you?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Wow, welcome to the fucking forums. How may I serve you?

Wow and here I thought we were all out of NOOB ass-wipes, looks like a fresh shipment just arrived.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
fucking moron

Hey douchemaster, XX was the sole person who fixed two of my NGCDs, one with the exact same problem as yours. Shut the fuck up. :shame:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Let's go easy on him, guys. The worst thing he said was "good grief." He's probably frustrated and I'm sure he'll apologize for being snippy. I want to see the solution.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Breetai, why on earth are you replacing the encoder when you haven't even verified that its the problem?

And no, you can't "plop" a surface mount IC out with a screwdriver. I suggest you take it to someone who knows what theyre doing, because you obviously don't.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Breetai, why on earth are you replacing the encoder when you haven't even verified that its the problem?

And no, you can't "plop" a surface mount IC out with a screwdriver. I suggest you take it to someone who knows what theyre doing, because you obviously don't.

You probably could with a screwdriver but I don't think the IC will have any legs afterward.

Breetai

New Challenger
Now I know why this site has the reputation it does...

I was asked a question that seemed silly to me (is your system PAL?), so I responded in a similar manner to how I've seen others act on this forum. Looks like I'm fitting in. :) Then again, I don't usually use much language beyond "good grief", so maybe I won't fit in. Who knows! At any rate, there are knowledgeable people here about Neo Geo stuff and I do appreciate the help given here. I'll try not to be so snippy (even though it's so fun! I really don't mean any harm.).

I'll admit that I'm absolutely new to repairing stuff, and I think that it's obvious if you're read anything I've wrote in the repair forums, which is why I ask the questions that seem silly to you. I'm sure I do deserve a bit of mocking for thinking I could remove a chip with a screw. I'd mock me, too.

I'm not sure what else it could be, but I'm grateful for any useful suggestions. I didn't spend much money on this system and getting a Saturn to rob the chip from is easy, so I figure I have very little to lose and a Neo CD to gain. Plus, I'll potentially gain some experience playing with a soldering gun.

And no, you can't "plop" a surface mount IC out with a screwdriver. I suggest you take it to someone who knows what theyre doing, because you obviously don't
I figured that after I looked at the bottom of the board and realized that it would take more than a screwdriver to get it out without destroying something. I have no idea what I'm doing, but you learn by doing, right? I'm not taking this to someone who knows what they're doing because that would cost more than this project is worth to me.

Let's go easy on him, guys. The worst thing he said was "good grief." He's probably frustrated and I'm sure he'll apologize for being snippy. I want to see the solution.
Kamsahamnida!!!

In summery, sorry for being a dick to Xian Xi and anyone else here. I really have nothing against Chinese people.* I'll try to play nicely.

*I realize that Xian Xi isn't necessarily Chinese that also that he's one of the more knowledgeable guys around here and is just trying to help out those who ask.

Trouble is that the NGCD is the only system that uses the pin version of cxa1645 (CXA1645P), all other systems that used this chip have the surface mount type, (CXA1645M).

You could use the surface mount type but it will require a little experience at soldering.

but since you´re in japan there´s hope of getting the CXA1645P at a component shop.

You should still do continuity tests at the encoder first, just to be sure that it is dead.

Breetai

New Challenger
You should still do continuity tests at the encoder first, just to be sure that it is dead.
Speaking for all "noobies", I need to ask how to do this. Actually, I do have an idea, but what is the actual name of the meter called that measures electrical current (I think that's what I'd need) so I can look for it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Do it from the main board to the encoder with the 5 pin harness that connects to the left side of the main board. That is the RGBS plug.

Also just try unplugging the harness and plugging it back in first. I would just reseat all connections to make sure it's connected.