Buriki One; the revisit

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm kicking myself for not getting a board after that first video you did. Love what I've played.

The game feels moulded in the legacy of pre-SFII fighters like Karate Champ. Savaki on Saturn is also reminiscent. Buriki may be the most polished game I've seen in that style.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm kicking myself for not getting a board after that first video you did. Love what I've played.

The game feels moulded in the legacy of pre-SFII fighters like Karate Champ. Savaki on Saturn is also reminiscent. Buriki may be the most polished game I've seen in that style.
Yeah Hyper prices have jumped. I fear I caused it. Stupid internet

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It's an interesting but ultimately terrible game, like all the H64 stuff. It's slow, ugly, clunky and confusing, it's more of an experiment than a real game. Even after becoming somewhat proficient at it it was more frustrating that fun.

I don't think any of the H64 stuff is actually worth owning. Back when you could get a NOS mobo and the 4 fighters for $250 shipped it was different but nowadays I wouldn't waste my time or money.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I don't think any of the H64 stuff is actually worth owning. Back when you could get a NOS mobo and the 4 fighters for $250 shipped it was different but nowadays I wouldn't waste my time or money.
When was that price?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
When was that price?
Around 04 maybe. There was a guy in the UK that had a ton of NOS on eBay and he sold bundles crazy cheap. Back then you could also get Batrider for $150. Different times, no one except people like us wanted Japanese arcade gear. They weren't earning money on site anymore and there wasn't a collectors market like there is now.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I got mine for free, had trouble giving it away because noone wanted to pay postage. Pity because the 2D in wr was really good

Let's face it, if the games or hardware was any good it wouldn't have been the catastrophic failure it ended up being. There's still NOS sets now, what does that tell you.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I’d still want to try it, preferably with the proper control orientation.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bit of a rant:

One of the main reasons H64 stuff got expensive is because so much of it was NOS. Collectards love anything that comes in a box, if they had all just been loose, beat up old carts no one would care.

There's also a romanticized vision of what a lot of this stuff is and 99% of the time it's total bullshit.

There's a difference between something being cool to try out for an hour or two and spending a bunch of money on mediocre shit just to own it. Which in all likelihood the owner is still only going to barely play once or twice before it goes on the shelf forever. That's just another thing checked off a list and a bragging right, onto the next thing. That's the real problem.

Look at Dolphin Blue, that games sucks. Nobody cared about it when it came out or for years afterward. Then some dingus makes a YT video and all of a sudden it's some supposed hidden masterpiece and the price skyrockets. It's no Metal Slug, it's not even Gunners Heaven. If people that actually owned it did more than credit feed their way through it once, they'd know that. They'd never admit it though because they have a stake it it being a super awesome rare game and they're one of the few people that own it.

DB is playable on the DC now but it's the same thing, credit feed through it and assure yourself that it's worth owning to justify the outrageous price. That's not actually playing it.

I wish more people would really play this stuff without blinders on, then there wouldn't be all this hype and mystery around it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Bit of a rant:

One of the main reasons H64 stuff got expensive is because so much of it was NOS. Collectards love anything that comes in a box, if they had all just been loose, beat up old carts no one would care.

There's also a romanticized vision of what a lot of this stuff is and 99% of the time it's total bullshit.

There's a difference between something being cool to try out for an hour or two and spending a bunch of money on mediocre shit just to own it. Which in all likelihood the owner is still only going to barely play once or twice before it goes on the shelf forever. That's just another thing checked off a list and a bragging right, onto the next thing. That's the real problem.

Look at Dolphin Blue, that games sucks. Nobody cared about it when it came out or for years afterward. Then some dingus makes a YT video and all of a sudden it's some supposed hidden masterpiece and the price skyrockets. It's no Metal Slug, it's not even Gunners Heaven. If people that actually owned it did more than credit feed their way through it once, they'd know that. They'd never admit it though because they have a stake it it being a super awesome rare game and they're one of the few people that own it.

DB is playable on the DC now but it's the same thing, credit feed through it and assure yourself that it's worth owning to justify the outrageous price. That's not actually playing it.

I wish more people would really play this stuff without blinders on, then there wouldn't be all this hype and mystery around it.
I don't own Dolphin Blue...but its def doesn't suck. Its pretty decent IMO

But yes I don't get the NOS collecting. Gotta let those capacitors juice up. Use it or lose it lol

I also don't buy NOS because $$. Lightly used or broken and I can fix for me. Like I got a Crypt Killer pcb for $100 dead and it took me two hours to get it running. Saved hundreds

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Around 04 maybe. There was a guy in the UK that had a ton of NOS on eBay and he sold bundles crazy cheap. Back then you could also get Batrider for $150. Different times, no one except people like us wanted Japanese arcade gear. They weren't earning money on site anymore and there wasn't a collectors market like there is now.
it sucks the retro market increases have hit arcade boards hard too. I am seeing stuff like The Simpsons go for $750+. Like common stuff just commanding wild prices.

Good thing I just love random obscure cheap shit lol

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
New video! The masterpiece that is dodonpachi 3 bee storm!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
He's the guy that makes 17000 posts per week on 17,000 different gaming forums with 14000 subs and sometimes the videos are okay
lol I like to think of myself more as the person who talks about fun stuff, buys and gives away unreleased betas and games / source codes...and generally has fun. But Sure!

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Bit of a rant:

Was with you until Dolphin Blue hate lol. I like Dolphin Blue. Overrated though I'll admit, like every valuable game. And it's pretty too, which is more important than how it plays when all you're doing with it is posting pics on twitter of your cabs.

I appreciate Buriki One for trying something different and the world needs more Karate Champ/Karateka style simulation fighters
No single video game should be worth more than $100-$200
Scarcity is a scam, rarity is for losers, don't treat your hobby like an investment and play your shit

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Was with you until Dolphin Blue hate lol. I like Dolphin Blue. Overrated though I'll admit, like every valuable game. And it's pretty too, which is more important than how it plays when all you're doing with it is posting pics on twitter of your cabs.

I appreciate Buriki One for trying something different and the world needs more Karate Champ/Karateka style simulation fighters
No single video game should be worth more than $100-$200
Scarcity is a scam, rarity is for losers, don't treat your hobby like an investment and play your shit
Exactly. I own some rare shit...but I didn't buy it when it was rare. But it still gets played. Even the Sam Sho 64 prototype...I play that...because its worthless if not being enjoyed

RastafaJones

Super Sidekicks 2
It'd be interesting to know what percent of the members here buy stuff to preserve them on a shelf.