Button Colors: Capcom vs SNK

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
OK this isn't a Neo-Geo game, but I am sure you guys would have an opinion on this. I recently restored this Namoi with CVS.

According to the manual the button color configuration is this:

manual.jpg

This is mirrored from the Neo setup. Even though the button colors are mirrored what they do is the same:

LP LK
HP HK

I have been playing with making the colors match the buttons

Red Green
Yellow Blue

What do you guys think?

control_panel.jpg

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
you're obviously good at following directions.
good job.
nice setup though.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hmm, turns out I've never seen a CVS with the right color buttons before, or the orange joysticks.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
I really like the mixture of colors. I always thought the top 2 buttons were yellow, and the bottom 2 red. Learned something new.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hmm, turns out I've never seen a CVS with the right color buttons before, or the orange joysticks.

Yah, most operators just cram it in a cabinet with whatever buttons that were with it. The orange sticks were my idea, the marquee and CP have orange in them and I thought it would look better than red (my MVS and MK1 both have red sticks) and yellow.

I really like the mixture of colors. I always thought the top 2 buttons were yellow, and the bottom 2 red. Learned something new.

So should I 'correct' the colors to match a MVS configuration better?

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Where did you get those sweet button overlays with Chunli on em?!

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Where did you get those sweet button overlays with Chunli on em?!

I was thinking the same thing

Those were part of the kit from Capcom. It was on the machine when I got it. It is an overlay on the standard Capcom Diamond Plate control panel that is hot-glue ironed on. I am sure someone must have a kit for sale somewhere.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Those were part of the kit from Capcom. It was on the machine when I got it. It is an overlay on the standard Capcom Diamond Plate control panel that is hot-glue ironed on. I am sure someone must have a kit for sale somewhere.

Thanks for the info I have a naomi with capcom vs snk just sitting and I'v been looking for some artwork to spruce up the cab I just painted. I'm glad I saw your cab it looks great. Now all I have to do is track those baby's down:buttrock:

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the info I have a naomi with capcom vs snk just sitting and I'v been looking for some artwork to spruce up the cab I just painted. I'm glad I saw your cab it looks great. Now all I have to do is track those baby's down:buttrock:

Great! Now you have to give me your opinion on the color configuration.

Should I leave it

Green Red
Blue Yellow

Or switch it to

Red Green
Blue Yellow

I am thinking I am going to switch it, it must be a mistake in the manual.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
So I swapped them:

Now they match the colors of a Neo-Geo correctly:

2010-08-18-time-21-57-53-day-3.jpg

2010-08-18-time-22-01-35-day-3.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, nice job. Damn I love them Dynamo cabs, I want 2 so bad!!!!

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Here is what it looked like when I got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rbs0XcQW-Q

It had broken buttons, with leaf switches (yuck) bad monitor, and the wiring harness was hacked to hell. I replaced the 25" standard def monitor with a 27" VGA monitor (Naomi will do VGA). That was a tight fix in a Dynamo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbtyBGCoowg

I replaced the sticks, buttons, plexi, and cleaned up everything.

I am thinking about painting the cabinet too. I was thinking keeping the front black, but making the sides the same orange as the sticks, and getting some side art.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I just sold a few cabs and I'm planning to own just 2 candies and 2 woddies. I want them to look uniform thus it's gonna be two EIIs and two Dynamos, I'm gonna theme one towards the Capcom side of things and the other I'm gonna theme after SNK's big reds. I mean I had a Big Red and a Big Blue but the Dynamos are awesome 'cause they can be tated and that gives me plenty of flexibilty plus a nice uniform classy look.

Good job on the cab, I for one I'm getting those plastic bezels so I don't have to hassle with them cardboard ones, I mean sometimes they're nice and all, but for the most part I like the plastic bezels better and yet if I get me a dedictaed bezel out of a kit for some reason I can still use it and do whatever.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just sold a few cabs and I'm planning to own just 2 candies and 2 woddies. I want them to look uniform thus it's gonna be two EIIs and two Dynamos, I'm gonna theme one towards the Capcom side of things and the other I'm gonna theme after SNK's big reds. I mean I had a Big Red and a Big Blue but the Dynamos are awesome 'cause they can be tated and that gives me plenty of flexibilty plus a nice uniform classy look.

Good job on the cab, I for one I'm getting those plastic bezels so I don't have to hassle with them cardboard ones, I mean sometimes they're nice and all, but for the most part I like the plastic bezels better and yet if I get me a dedictaed bezel out of a kit for some reason I can still use it and do whatever.

I can appreciate unity, sometimes the cabinets look very random.

I completely agree about the plastic bezels! Only my Galaga (had to replace) and my Radikal Bikers have the plastic bezels. They are $25 each, which doesn't seem like much, but when you buy 5 at a time they get expensive! :-)

As for the CVS I couldn't use a plastic bezel because the monitor is now a 27". I do want to get one for my Marvel vs Capcom and my MVS. I have MK1 with cardboard, but it is in converted 25" Bad Dudes cabinet, so I don't care so much about how it looks.

dscn3893.jpg
dscn3895.jpg
dscn3892.jpg
dscn3899.jpg

I have the smoke tinted plexi between the glass bezel and the plastic bezel, and it look phenomenal, check it out:

dscn2534.jpg