Buying a Supergun - Recommendations?

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Back in the 90's the choice was easy - MAS. I LOVED my Mas supergun, but alas I had to sell it eons ago. Anyway, everybody and their grandmother's mother makes "superguns" these days.

Before I spend hours of research, I thought I'd see what you nerds use and what you recommend. I'd prefer a component or HDMI out for my setup, but I do have an old Micomsoft XAV-2s SCART to S-Video (in box no less) I can use for SCART solutions.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Seems like alot of people use the Has supergun. I personally dont like the setup with having a arcade psu wired to the sg, looks messy.

I use a Sigma Av7000. Have been for years. They're nice and compact, built like tanks, and the TB sticks are probably the best sticks I ever used.

There is a bit of a price difference though.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
HAS supergun by RGB

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?board/62-rgb-s-lab/&ccf8a684

Minigun or Project Sentinel supergun by Frank_fjs
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?board/87-project-sentinel/&ccf8a684

JNX Supergun by Xian Xi. Not sure if he is taking orders at the moment

Those three are the only options I would consider for new superguns. The sigma AV7000 and other japanese all in one superguns are pretty cool as well but rather expensive for what features they provide. With that said the build quality of the metal case is quite cool.

What Razo said is true about the HAS/Minigun/Project Sentinel they do come off a little messy. If you build a little setup they are perfectly fine and look organized. What they do excel in is customization and features. Autofire and programmable support right off the bat.

but if you want one consolidated to make traveling with it more console like/for tournaments JNX wins hands down. Everything is built into one box including the PSU.

Also keep in mind if you need RGB to component you can always grab a Shinybow SB-2840 or Mike Chi's RGB to component.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Awesome! This gives me a good starting point of where I should begin my research. Thanks for the quick, informative replies!

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
If you want something long-lasting professionally built and built to last - that looks good and is a clean setup - RAZO is spot on. The Sigma AV7000 is the only model to consider. If you want that, with the control sticks built in for an even cleaner (but less portable) look - the Sigma Raijin or Sigma Thunder.

I've owned them all at one point or another - Blasts, Vegas, MAS - the Sigma's are just the most reliable and best built.

If you're on a budget - then one of the others mentioned - they won't be as clean and I always had sync issues here or there, which requires more connected cleaners and hodge-podging cables together - just avoid that unless you really need to stay under $200 or something.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
If you want something long-lasting professionally built and built to last - that looks good and is a clean setup - RAZO is spot on. The Sigma AV7000 is the only model to consider. If you want that, with the control sticks built in for an even cleaner (but less portable) look - the Sigma Raijin or Sigma Thunder.

I've owned them all at one point or another - Blasts, Vegas, MAS - the Sigma's are just the most reliable and best built.

If you're on a budget - then one of the others mentioned - they won't be as clean and I always had sync issues here or there, which requires more connected cleaners and hodge-podging cables together - just avoid that unless you really need to stay under $200 or something.

Thanks for the added info. Price isn't much of an issue - I'd like something reliable. Gonna be another month or so before I make the purchase, so all this extra info from everyone will be helpful in deciding exactly what I want and how much effort I want to put into the project.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
+1 for the HAS. I own two of them (one for CRT use and one for OSSC upscaler use) and they've handled everything I've thrown at them. Plus having the expansion hats for 4 player support is really cool.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Build your own.

End's up being the best bet if you're just not lazy. It's not hard. Just takes a bit of time. Also, it's costs next to nothing when taking that route.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Build your own.

End's up being the best bet if you're just not lazy. It's not hard. Just takes a bit of time. Also, it's costs next to nothing when taking that route.

Thanks. It's a consideration for sure. I'm okay with light electronic repair, and from the FAQs I've read it doesn't seem terribly hard - just time consuming as you said.

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I have a cheapo barebones supergun available. I’m not a big fan of the pieced together setups. I have a couple Japanese control boxes too. I like those the most. I want a Sigma Raijin and the 7000 too. Those are the coolest! I don’t usually play on my superguns since I have JAMMA cabs, but I like to keep them around in case I want to take an arcade game somewhere to let people play without having to move a whole cab.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Windy Guns are affordable, simple, and well built if you can find one. I got a JNX.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Windy Guns are affordable, simple, and well built if you can find one. I got a JNX.

Just make sure you don't flip the attenuation switch in the wrong way or else you are sending amplified 12v audio down your scart output lol.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Just make sure you don't flip the attenuation switch in the wrong way or else you are sending amplified 12v audio down your scart output lol.

People make a huge deal about “accidentally” flipping the switch. Check, and double check if you pick it up and move it. No different to me than those who “accidentally” plug in the JAMMA harness backwards.

Granted, I don’t use a SCART switch, but otherwise yeah, exaggerated.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
People make a huge deal about “accidentally” flipping the switch. Check, and double check if you pick it up and move it. No different to me than those who “accidentally” plug in the JAMMA harness backwards.

Yeah, sounds like s scart switch problem and not a supergun problem...

JoeAwesome

My use of the Windy alone has been great for me. I’ll leave it with that.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member

It wasn't exaggerated though. A few users had their expensive GSCART/OSSC fried because of it. Keep in mind it wasn't right away though. To make matters worse there was no way to know if the switch was in the attenuated position without looking at the manual directly. It wasn't labelled on the box itself since there was no silk screen indicating position afaik. Cdamn eventually printed out a sticker to remedy this.

I reckon a lot of these were taken to tournaments or setup in a place.Very easy to forget about the switch if it gets flipped especially during travel. Sending amplified audio through scart is only asking for trouble. Best thing would be to make a dedicated output for amplified audio. If you look at HAS, minigun, or even a JNX supergun afaik they don't do this shit unless you specifically go out of your way.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851&p=1281402&hilit=windy+gaming#p1281402

Yeah, sounds like s scart switch problem and not a supergun problem...

Sending 12V amplified audio is not SCART spec. Even if you didn't plug this into an OSSC/Frameister, say you plugged it into an amplifier directly you would still be hosed if attenuation is off potentially. Either your onboard amplifier in your receiver would blow out eventually (depending upon volume of the board, lower usually makes it safer) or blowing out the jamma amplifier on your expensive boomer board.

http://martin.hinner.info/vga/scart.html

With that said I think its a pretty well designed and compact supergun overall if you keep that switch in mind. I just feel that switch is setting people up for failure even if it is a literal case of rtfm.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

“Easy to forget...”

Check, and double check.