Bye bye UMD movies?

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Lagduf said:
:kekeke:

Kern takes no prisoners

But he does have a point. I mean who honestly thought that Sony would take over the handheld market.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
kobylka68 said:
But he does have a point. I mean who honestly thought that Sony would take over the handheld market.

uh, lots of people actually.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
kernow said:
uh, lots of people actually.

hehe true enough. I thought the psp had a shot then I bought one and was incredibly disappointed. Bought a DS and never looked back.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
*waits for Mark of the Wolves to show up with his blind rampant PSP fanboy comments*

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
The entire History of videogames has proven that nothing can beat the gameboy, sony is no different than what NEC/Sega/Atari tried, with the exception sony actually has a lot of game support for the PSP, but so does nintendo.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
..the psps is only good for emulation's:emb: ...why spend $$'s on crappy mini disc:rolleyes:

aria

Former Moderator
DashK said:
The entire History of videogames has proven that nothing can beat the gameboy, sony is no different than what NEC/Sega/Atari tried, with the exception sony actually has a lot of game support for the PSP, but so does nintendo.
:crying:

SNK tried too...

"Tried and failed?"
"Tried and died!"

[/vague movie quote]

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
eh?

it wasnt even a gameboy people

double nintendowned

hah,

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Maybe they will work in Blu Ray Players

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
kernow said:
yeah, but thats because you're a fucking idiot :shame:

Microsoft > whiny Linux nerds

Lagduf said:
:kekeke:

Kern takes no prisoners

Please change your avatar. Every time I see it I begin to wonder whether Shawn has donated webspace to the Special Olympics.

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Mark of the Wolves said:
:buttrock:

PSP is leading in the U.S. 'nuff said.

No it isn't...

http://www.999today.com/games/news/story/2520.html
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/D27174DA-98D2-46D4-AD1B-A532FB93694E.htm

As of January 6 the DS has sold 4 million+ in the US.
As of January 19 the PSP has sold 3.63 million.

The Game Informer article (where you initially got your bad information) only takes into account DS sales for 2005, which is the year the PSP launched. The DS on the other hand, launched in Nov. of 2004.

DS is beating the PSP in all regions. Hell, before long the DS will have sold as many units in Japan alone as the PSP has sold worldwide. :kekeke:

wcmiker

n00b
About time.

There is no reason to spend money on movies in a proprietary format that plays on a small handheld when one can pay the same amount for DVDs that are compatible with several different (and better) machines.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I really like watching anime and movies on UMD discs. Japan already has a UMD player?.:eek: :cool:

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Shawn Carr2o said:
I really like watching anime and movies on UMD discs. Japan already has a UMD player?.:eek: :cool:

I think it's like, pipe dreams or something, I just googled it and didn't find shit. But if I ever see any in Japan, I'll take pictures of it and show it to everyone. No idea when I will find one, I wonder if the department stores carry them?

BIG

sony fanboy
Last edited:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
jp. said:
No it isn't...

http://www.999today.com/games/news/story/2520.html
http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/D27174DA-98D2-46D4-AD1B-A532FB93694E.htm

As of January 6 the DS has sold 4 million+ in the US.
As of January 19 the PSP has sold 3.63 million.

The Game Informer article (where you initially got your bad information) only takes into account DS sales for 2005, which is the year the PSP launched. The DS on the other hand, launched in Nov. of 2004.

DS is beating the PSP in all regions. Hell, before long the DS will have sold as many units in Japan alone as the PSP has sold worldwide. :kekeke:

:emb:

Wow I just noticed I forgot the DS launced in November. Meh PSP is on pace pass it anyway.

Neon_Sonic

Setsuna's Owl Keeper
I wouldn't call the PSP a failure as a whole just yet, but the fact that UMD movies aren't selling doesn't really surprise me. I was kind of confused as to why they were putting so much into UMDs and so many stores were shelving tons of them when nobody really seemed to be buying them. I guess it was pretty inevitable, especially since an UMD costs around as much as a full DVD. Hindsight's a bitch, huh, Sony?

Bobak said:
When I was in Japan last spring (just before the US PSP launch), they had already launched a bunch of small UMD players (think smaller portable DVD players).

I'm shocked they didn't try that here (probably to make people buy more PSPs). A shame since they could've probably had a market for the extra-small portable DVD players.

Really? :spock:

Does anyone have a link to any of these online?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
:emb:

Wow I just noticed I forgot the DS launced in November. Meh PSP is on pace pass it anyway.

It's gonna hit a brick wall. Hard. The DS will keep truckin' though.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
bokmeow said:
I think it's like, pipe dreams or something, I just googled it and didn't find shit. But if I ever see any in Japan, I'll take pictures of it and show it to everyone. No idea when I will find one, I wonder if the department stores carry them?

I wish that the UMD player was released here in the US.:) :cool:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
DashK said:
you'll find the WMDs before you find a UMD stand alone player. :kekeke:

:buttrock:

oh dask - you sir, are >noobs

@ galfordo:

fuck you :kekeke:

wheres your pic galf?

Last edited:

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
who wants to spend 25-30 bucks on a psp movies when you could buy the dvd for 15-20 bucks? its a good wake up call for sony.

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
well its now time to play the waitting game for me :p going to see how low the prices are going to go down on both the PSP and the UMD moives :chimp: I'm willing to buy the moives when they are 5 bucks a pop :tickled: