Cable Cuttin' thread.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Tried it and gave up with Comcast long ago. The hassle just wasn't worth it.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Its been 2 weeks cable free.

I barely miss it at all.

The PVR box is working great for live recording (plus unlike a tivo there is no subscription fee). I am going to add a second powered mohu leaf to the living room tv via a cable splitter to amplify what it does (some channels are a little wonky). I will also put a leaf and a second pvr box in the bedroom and eventually a third on the big screen.

Once that is done i will run the existing cable line to the big screen in the basement and use the living room antennas to feed it. Hulu has really put this change over the top with current shows and the comedy central programming (which is one of the channels i watched the most).

Final bill: 37.99 for internet + 7.99 for netflix + 7.99 for hulu plus. All in for about $54/ month. I may add redbox streaming, but i have not decided. If i do, I also get 4 kiosk rentals per month as well included in that deal for new releases.

Parts bought:
Mohu Leaf Plus: $65
Homeworks PVR Tuner: $40
WD 500gb External HDD: $45

Total Live OTA TV Hardware investment: $150.

Rebump-

my internet bill was dropped to $30/ month after some negotiating.

And the reason for the bump: sling.com

new standalone streaming channel from dish- basically a "most popular" list of basic cable channels (all live- not on demand) comprised of what ive been really missing: espn/ espn 2, adult swim, tbs, tnt, and shit my wife misses- (hgtv, food network, a couple other like that). its steep compared to other streaming services at $20/month- but with that and hulu (they also have comedy central here) plus my on/off netflix (based on when shows i like come back) i am between 59 and 68 bucks a month all in with internet and tv.

it took years, but everything that i actually want for tv is finally available.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Got rid of cable a while ago now and moved to Netflix and other streaming services.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Got 1 more hdr reciever to go here, took the last one back day after super bowl. Comcast here is expensive w/ internet, some damn crooks. I hate tv so im good only the wife watches it.

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rebump-

my internet bill was dropped to $30/ month after some negotiating.

And the reason for the bump: sling.com

new standalone streaming channel from dish- basically a "most popular" list of basic cable channels (all live- not on demand) comprised of what ive been really missing: espn/ espn 2, adult swim, tbs, tnt, and shit my wife misses- (hgtv, food network, a couple other like that). its steep compared to other streaming services at $20/month- but with that and hulu (they also have comedy central here) plus my on/off netflix (based on when shows i like come back) i am between 59 and 68 bucks a month all in with internet and tv.

it took years, but everything that i actually want for tv is finally available.

My wife told me about that. Looked tempting, but I'm gonna wait until I can stream it via my PS3/4 and my Chromecast before jumping in. I'm hoping that they'll at least allow 2 devices to be streaming at the same time since I'd want to watch something different the same time my wife or kids are watching something.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
My wife told me about that. Looked tempting, but I'm gonna wait until I can stream it via my PS3/4 and my Chromecast before jumping in. I'm hoping that they'll at least allow 2 devices to be streaming at the same time since I'd want to watch something different the same time my wife or kids are watching something.

chromecast works with screen mirroring. thats the workaround being used until there is an official patch for it.

not having 2 at once thing is a little disappointing, but it's early yet. plus amc and a couple other channels are due on the basic plan soon- so it looks like it should be an evolving thing.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'm barely breaking even at my job, so I can't afford that shit. It's a waste of money anyway. The only thing I'd watch is pawn stars and the walking dead, and I can do that at my parent's house when I visit them.

I use Netflix and over the air TV. If I have to work and miss Gotham, Flash, or Survivor, I just stream it on the station's website. I've got a comfy-ass office chair and a big screen.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Bumping with my new rig.

HS3Iyo7.jpg

L to R: Tablo 4 tuner streaming OTA DVR, 2 TB drive for OTA recording, Cable Modem, Router, Shared 500 gb cloud drive.

The tablo streams live tv to any of the tv's in my house via my network. I want to get a better antenna and modem (need moar horsepower). I also switched providers back to comcast from uverse and i'm running at a pretty respectable 75 meg speed. Uverse engaged in some fuckery with my bill so i got triple the speed for less than i was paying by moving elsewhere. Anything i want to watch is doable via Roku now. I'll eventually add a plex server for my movies as well and then everything will be streamed via the one roku box per set.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it's common here for families to have something called LeTV, i dunno htf it works but it's jacked into the net and then pretty much any current TV show/movie (everything foreign) is at your disposal...and old shows as well. outputs at HD too. no idea what it costs but internet only cost me like $85 a year so pirate TV must be cheap as hell too.

chinktube also has loads of foreign tv shows/cartoons/movies as well for free to watch streaming. only downside is nudity and extreme violence are censored (but cartoons like rick and morty/south park are left uncut).

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
This looks tempting to do (Sling + OTA DVR), but the lack of Bravo for my fiancée is seriously going to kill any hope. Suggestions? Besides find a new fiancée

:keke:

-SD-

Camel Slug
I haven't had a TV license or any broadcast telly for a good ten years. Doing the whole thing legally though is more of a recent thing. I was always willing to pay, and now the services and content are getting there I'm finally happy to pay for Netflix, Amazon prime, Crunchyroll and Animax. And it's certainly a lot easier than maintaining a stack of HDDs and messing around downloading and encoding stuff.

TurboCro

AESwipe,
$12 hdtv antenna = around 60 channels of crap, but better than the cable bill...

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
This looks tempting to do (Sling + OTA DVR), but the lack of Bravo for my fianc馥 is seriously going to kill any hope. Suggestions? Besides find a new fianc馥

Seriously you need to get your broad off Bravo. You don't want any woman watching those shows thinking that shit is real life. Mine used to watch that shit when we had cable. It's fucking mind numbingly retarded programming.

We've been cord free for about a year now. I have an OTA feed to all rooms. I've got an XB1 in the main living room. A shield TV in the master bedroom. We subscribe to Sling TV, hulu and share that with someone for netflix. Between that and having Kodi w/Exodus/Phoenix/Castaway plugins on the Shield TV there honestly isn't a need for DVR or a cable sub. Reddit MBLStreams/NHLStreams/NBAStreams/NFLStreams has links for live sports.

As for hardware, I cannot recommend the Shield TV enough. It really is a boss ass piece of equipment. It's fast. The sticks and rokus have nothing on this thing. Add in the gaming side of it emulators, nvidia gamestream from pc. It's the one and only piece of equipment you need in your setup outside a good 5ghz wifi router.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
$12 hdtv antenna = around 60 channels of crap, but better than the cable bill...

I'm amazed you get that much. We get maybe 12 channels here, and maybe 30 in nearby Houston (1/3 crap, yes).

Seriously you need to get your broad off Bravo. You don't want any woman watching those shows thinking that shit is real life. Mine used to watch that shit when we had cable. It's fucking mind numbingly retarded programming.

You're preaching to the choir, but "reality" TV is still very popular in general, regardless of how fake it is.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I haven't had cable in a little over a year, the prices were getting too ridiculous in my neck of the woods too, so, it had to go. I don't watch much TV anyway, but when I do, it's all online now.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Bumping with my new rig.

HS3Iyo7.jpg

L to R: Tablo 4 tuner streaming OTA DVR, 2 TB drive for OTA recording, Cable Modem, Router, Shared 500 gb cloud drive.

The tablo streams live tv to any of the tv's in my house via my network. I want to get a better antenna and modem (need moar horsepower). I also switched providers back to comcast from uverse and i'm running at a pretty respectable 75 meg speed. Uverse engaged in some fuckery with my bill so i got triple the speed for less than i was paying by moving elsewhere. Anything i want to watch is doable via Roku now. I'll eventually add a plex server for my movies as well and then everything will be streamed via the one roku box per set.
These work suprisingly well I've been running a TP-Link brand set of these for over a year now, hardwire an additional wireless router in the room you want access.. works like a charm

AV2 is the one you want

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=powerline_adapter-_-33-124-574-_-Product

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have no cable service since over a year or two now. I have the OTA antenna set up using a combination of cheapo with neodymium magnets attached. I end up not watching TV broadcasts usually. Most time is watching videos on Youtube or Twitch.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I cut the cord 8 years ago and never looked back.

Don't really care about tv, tbh.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Haven't had cable in over 4 years, but still have a beefy internet plan with the service provider here. Luckily wife and I work from home so that's a writeoff anyhow.

As for shows, mostly just stick to what's on Netflix. Could give a shit about the hottest new shows or HBO, as long as there's something decent to watch once in a while, and Netflix provides that very cheaply.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I've had my Nvidia Shield setup for a while now. When I do watch TV it's something on Netflix, or Youtube. No regrets cutting the cord.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Netflix, Hulu, my roommate's HBO GO subscription, torrents, and an OTA HD antenna. I'm a happy camper.

My internet bill is $90 a month though, and that's only for the middle speed connection. Cox is a ripoff and they charge premium prices for individual services in order to force you to bundle their shit.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
This looks tempting to do (Sling + OTA DVR), but the lack of Bravo for my fiancée is seriously going to kill any hope. Suggestions? Besides find a new fiancée

hulu has bravo. they have 10 shows on it right now, but it updates and changes often.

also- my antenna is a pair of amplified mohu leafs run into a 2 -> 1 coupler. you really get what you pay for in antennas. i had a cheapie one first and i got 14 channels. now i pull in 68.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
hulu has bravo. they have 10 shows on it right now, but it updates and changes often.

also- my antenna is a pair of amplified mohu leafs run into a 2 -> 1 coupler. you really get what you pay for in antennas. i had a cheapie one first and i got 14 channels. now i pull in 68.

Interesting, never knew you could chain them together.

I'm using this one mounted up in the attic and run to all the coax plates in the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gets everything in my viewing area, maybe 30ish distinct channels, a lot of absolute crap of course, but all the networks, PBS, and some other sometimes good things.