California really takes the cake...er...a...BACON!

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Maybe I've been having some bad bacon luck over the last 10 years,
but it seems you need to spend like $9 to get some decent stuff.
If you don't go top shelf you're just buying a pan/fryer/skillet full of grease.
Anything else is just pure fat slabs.

I've tried buying the ones that have the plastic windows and looking at them and making sure I see marbles of meat.
You get it home and open it up and it's it's just a couple piece on the front in the plastic the back and rest is all just pure fat.
90% of the time I just get turkey bacon. Jenny-O,Buttball, Hormenl they are all pretty much the same and the stuff cost $2-3.

You know what's the worst is lamb.
Several times I bought like a leg of lamb and taken it home, followed the directions or recipe and ended up with two bites of meat and a tray full of grease.
Stuff has always been expensive too like $15-25+. That's somewhere around $10 a bite of meat.
You're pretty much just buying bone and fat.
Those guys are fatballs, I don't know what they feed them, they just eat plants right?
Cuts with no bones or maybe a small one are OK, Make sure they trimmed off most of the fat.
Otherwise just best to get it from a restaurant.

Crab can be like that too.
You are correct, you get what you pay for.

Additionally, bacon was traditionally sold in 1 poind packs. The last couple of times I've picked up either 12 or 10oz. packs.

So when I do the math it is close to 10 a pound already.

Lagduf, I agree bacon ends and pieces gets you some nice pieces for a good price.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Part of the appeal of bacon is the fat. Maybe you just don’t like fat?
Seconded, get a bacon grease jar. Using bacon grease instead of cooking oil or butter is your next stage of cooking evolution. The 1940s called and wants you to use that grease in everything.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you aren’t frying your potatoes in bacon grease you’re doing it wrong.

Also get some good Texas toast type of bread and fry both sides of it in the grease. Fry bread is great.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Seconded, get a bacon grease jar. Using bacon grease instead of cooking oil or butter is your next stage of cooking evolution. The 1940s called and wants you to use that grease in everything.
I've used duck fat, takes fried potatoes to the next level.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I just ate a bacon, egg, and cheese burrito 🌯
It was damn good. I feel bad for lactovegans. (Although, they can have make an almond flour tortilla, cashew cheese, coconut bacon, and tofu/yogurt egg sustitute breakfast burrito.)

I just don't want to pay $10 a pound for bacon.

Yesterday, at commercial business center Costco they had a pack with two racks of pork spare ribs for $56! $6 a pound for spare ribs seemed double the norm. I thought to myself, I can go to to a BBQ joint and buy two smoked racks of ribs and get sides for about the same price.

Almond flour is environmentally terrifying.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The problem is that runoff bacon fat turns to smoke pretty easily. It is better to use a clean oil with a higher smoke point and then add bacon fat towards the end.

Though we sometimes cook potatoes in the air fryer and hang strips of bacon over the potatoes. As the bacon cooks, it drips on them.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
They don't even have bacon in Japan. They just have canadian bacon (refuse to capitalize canadian due to what they've done to bacon), which is ordinary ham with a different label.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They don't even have bacon in Japan. They just have canadian bacon (refuse to capitalize canadian due to what they've done to bacon), which is ordinary ham with a different label.
same in china. yeah I miss bacon. Man. Crispy bacon, scrambled eggs and apple sauce. Never knew how good I had it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Do they have pork belly?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Is english bacon available in the US? I'm not saying it's better tasting than side bacon but it's a lot less fatty if fat isn't your thing.

Far as I can tell it's a cross between Canadian bacon and US bacon - it's like the round medallion bit but with a streaky fatty bit hanging off the end. Sounds sexy eh?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Is english bacon available in the US? I'm not saying it's better tasting than side bacon but it's a lot less fatty if fat isn't your thing.

Far as I can tell it's a cross between Canadian bacon and US bacon - it's like the round medallion bit but with a streaky fatty bit hanging off the end. Sounds sexy eh?
McDonald's had used round bacon in the past instead of strips. Wonder if it's related?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Proper UK bacon is not widely available. These ignorant savages think their inferior "bacon" is good enough.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
England has the worst food on the planet. Hands down. Tribesmen in the Amazon living off of insects and tree bark eat better than the English.

Flavorless? Okay, that sucks but whatever. But the part that mystifies me is how in the fuck can something simultaneously be boiled yet dry?? That is some crazy midieval alchemy shit.

If you like their breakfast, that's fine. Oh wow, they managed not to fuck up eggs. Fucking amazing. But everything after 11am is tough, dry, and without flavor. Seriously, name one first world country with worse food than England (that isn't also part of the UK). JUST ONE.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There are no other first world countries than england.
giphy.gif

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
England has the worst food on the planet. Hands down. Tribesmen in the Amazon living off of insects and tree bark eat better than the English.
Can confirm, we have some spicy tree bark in the weekends.

Man I can't cope with the notion that one day we're really going to be eating fried crickets or some shit, I love me some bacon.