Can Americans and Canadians tell each other part by their accents?

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
usually with how they pronounce words with the letter 'o' in them

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did this happen before or after you tried to invade them? Pretty sure Canada was founded later. You should probably blame the Brits for it.

Head of State of Canada is his Majesty Charles III.

Limeys and Canucks are the same. Dominion of Canada be damned.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Canada burned down the White House 200 years ago.

We’ve forgiven the Canucks.

But we haven’t forgotten.
You sure we should forgive?
They did give us nickleback, Avril Lavigne, and Justin Bieber.
Then again they also gave us Rush...

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Head of State of Canada is his Majesty Charles III.

Limeys and Canucks are the same. Dominion of Canada be damned.
I know that of course but back then they were still just colonies. Hopefully Canada will follow when the Aussies will finally leave.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Living in SE Michigan I can tell in seconds if someone is Canadian.
Living in West Michigan, it's more difficult. Lots of yooperish accents around here. Not everyone, though, it's weird. Like my next door neighbor who's lived here his whole life sounds like anyone from Detroit/Toledo (like me). But my neighbor behind my house who has also lived here her whole life sounds like a yooper. (Oh, yah, you betcha. We took de bo-uht out yestuhday). It's weird. But this area is like 50/50 with that accent.

That said, the more common Canadian pronunciations of "ou" words like "oot" instead of "out" and things like "a-gain" instead of "a-gen" isn't really a thing around here. Words like that are always tell-tale signs of a Canadian.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
One thing I noticed Norm MacDonald do is in an effort to leave no letter silent, is transpose the W and H in a WH word like "White". Making it kind of "Huh-wite". I don't know if this is common to all Canadians, or just a tic specific to him. "Whale" becomes "Huh-wale", etc.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
One thing I noticed Norm MacDonald do is in an effort to leave no letter silent, is transpose the W and H in a WH word like "White". Making it kind of "Huh-wite". I don't know if this is common to all Canadians, or just a tic specific to him. "Whale" becomes "Huh-wale", etc.
Someone's going to mention cool whip so it might as well be me.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
CGbdtvDWsAAzaRl.jpg
Perhaps not by accent but by how the milk is kept.

Not in Alberta. We get our milk in cartons like normal people.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I know a few Canadian families. All very nice, polite, and easy to get along with. Makes me want to move to Canada. The accents are obvious, but I haven't heard any of them say "hoose" or "aboot". My father's good friend says, "don't cha know" and ends some sentences with "ay".

Funny thing... one of my best friends growing up was a down ass cholo dude. He would say "ay", but in a different way with a cholo Mexican accent. "Eeeee, come on ay. Let's roll homes." We'd clown, and say something that usually included "ay" and calling him a "hoser" in a Canadian accent. Then he'd get pissed and look at us like we were stupid, which made it even funnier, lol.