Can any one here gave me a good reason to buy a PS4 Pro over a PS4?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Simple my launch PS4 is starting to die. My local Best Buy has those gun metal PS4 for $300.00. Or for $100.00 more I can get a PS4 Pro. I do not have a 4K gaming TV and have no plans to buy one in the future so that isn't factor. I currently have a 2tb SSD I plan on putting in it.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Well you already made a decision, if you have no 4k tv and don't plan on getting one in the near future than the pro is a waste of money for you. I have a pro but not a 4k TV but my TV situation might change in the moderate future.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
If you have the patience to wait maybe hold off for a PS5. They are suppose to be compatibile with PS4.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The gunmetal model is super nice looking. I want to grab one but really need to take care of my giant backlog before getting a PS4.

I thought the same thing about waiting for the PS5 but I’d imagine the launch model could have some problems and it will be worth waiting for a slim.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
VR supposed to run better on the Pro, correct?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
VR runs better, menus feel smoother, some games like RDR2 run a bit better on the PRO and the loading times feel a bit shorter to me, but is the pseudo 4K support worth it? Probably not.

If you don't own a 4K or a PSVR there's no real reason to get one.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
If you don’t have a 4K tv, then I don’t think ps4 pro is worth it. New consoles are so close though that I’d try to find a used one or an older bundle instead of paying $300.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I have a 4k TV and skipped the Pro because it doesn't support 4k blu-ray discs. I wouldn't mind better performance on some games, but at this point I'm waiting on the PS5 as suggested above. Name of the game now is 'stopgap'.

That having been said, I can see myself impulse-buying a Pro if there are reports that it runs Samurai Shodown better. :emb:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Run with the big dogs and get a PRO, only weiners choose the basic bitch model.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Pro can make use of the SSD speed, but not the slim. Other than that, it depends on what you plan to play and if you have a PC / XB1 X to make the games run better (not sure how they compare to base PS4 but games like Neir, Shadow of the Colossus and Nioh have 60 fps option).

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
A pro because it can run most games in 1080p 60FPS as opposed to running them in 30FPS with the standard edition. Much more easy on the eyes.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
A pro because it can run most games in 1080p 60FPS as opposed to running them in 30FPS with the standard edition. Much more easy on the eyes.

If a game runs at 30 FPS on the normal PS4, it still runs at 30 fps on the PRO, the hardware doesn't change that (unless the game is Pro enhanced).

Last edited:

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Now is a bad time to buy a PS4 Pro. The Pro's improvements over the original hardware are negligible. Most of the benefit is realized with a 4k TV and even then the shinier graphics come at the cost of a lower framerate. The PS5 has been announced and will be fully backwards compatible. It will likely incorporate the PS4 Pro's improvements and more. I would buy a used OG PS4 as most people will be looking to sell off ahead of the PS5.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Pro can make use of the SSD speed, but not the slim. Other than that, it depends on what you plan to play and if you have a PC / XB1 X to make the games run better (not sure how they compare to base PS4 but games like Neir, Shadow of the Colossus and Nioh have 60 fps option).

There's a fuller answer waiting for elaboration here. You will notice a speed difference in load times on either the PS4 or PS4 Pro, but the Pro model's SATA interface is SATA III, which at 6 gigabits per second, is faster than the 3 per speed of SATA II. You will notice the difference no matter what console you install it on.

I have a hybrid SSDs in my PS4 and my PS3, and though it's game-dependent, the load times for digital games on both platforms are much quicker than with a standard hard drive. In the case of the Hybrid SSD, the drive stores the most loaded data in its cache, decreasing the time it takes for things to load. As for the game actually running, I'm certain you won't see any great change in visual fidelity due to the storage choice. That will be up to your choice for what will replace your dying PS4.

Here's a measure of SSD use against a normal drive.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
If a game runs at 30 FPS on the normal PS4, it still runs at 30 fps on the PRO, the hardware doesn't change that (unless the game is Pro enhanced).

Yes, I believe it needs to be enhanced. But I find that list being pretty long.

Another thing. I also found the pro to be running a lot more silent than the standard PS4. Maybe the later standard models aren't as noisy as the first batches were though.

Last edited:

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Many games are enhanced on the pro even just for 1080p Pro has optical sound output which was striped on the slim. If you want quiet go with the slim. Though if you’re going ssd/digital the pro will be pretty quiet compared to first gen.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i just got a pro for Father's day from my kids, i dont see any difference from a regular one.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Well you already made a decision, if you have no 4k tv and don't plan on getting one in the near future than the pro is a waste of money for you.
This is absolutely untrue. The Pro can't really handle 4K. It often has to fake it with checker-boarding and the like. However, many games offer a 1080p mode with better frame rates, and that would be the real value of the machine to me, if I turned mine on.

edit: I tried to find a link with what enhancements are on what games, but, Jesus Christ, I don't wish any of those sites on anyone: NeoGAF, ResetERA, gamesradar, IGN, etc.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Pro can make use of the SSD speed, but not the slim.

It's a fucking joke that a 'next gen' console from 2013 only got SATA 3Gbps and not the SATA 6Gbps that came out in 2008/09. Oh but the 'PRO' model has it, what a feature you fucking cunts.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's a fucking joke that a 'next gen' console from 2013 only got SATA 3Gbps and not the SATA 6Gbps that came out in 2008/09. Oh but the 'PRO' model has it, what a feature you fucking cunts.

dangerous nerd talk there or do ya need Mot to describe a pussy for yez?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some games run better on the Pro than a standard PS4 if you set it to output 1080p.

Supersampling actually does look better, and is a very practical alternative to anti aliasing.

If a 30fps game struggles to hit 30fps consistently on a standard PS4, you may have better luck with the Pro's boost mode.

Last edited: