Candy Cab MAME/Mister Build Help/Tips

OmegaMan

n00b
The card does need to support analog over DVI (some cards do, some don't) or have an analog VGA output. And yup, JAMMA blows. If the card supports analog over DVI any DVI -> VGA converter will work.
Are new cards still made that support analog out via DVI? I did some research and it seems they're calling it DVI-I. It's a bit confusing as to what cards for sale actually support this format. Any recommendations? Not looking to run any crazy cutting edge stuff. If I can run stuff on GroovyMAME that came out up until 2000-2010 I'll be pretty happy.

OmegaMan

n00b
Awesome. Price seems reasonable as well. I think I will go with something like that and a refurb Win10 box -- at least for starters. Are there any other hardware solutions out there outside of the J-PAC for going in between the video card and the JAMMA harness?

I've stumbled across this one that has a plug for the kick harness:

While I didn't see anywhere on the site to order I do see them for sale on ebay from what looks to be the same guy. Bit pricey though, around 270 USD. Seems like the JPAC might be the most economical solution to get this project off the ground at present and I can just wire buttons 5&6 from the kick harness to the screw-down connectors on the JPAC.

Thanks.

OmegaMan

n00b
A little update bundled with a cry for help. Got all the key pieces of my setup ordered and in -- JPAC, video card, etc. Was able to hook up the video card to the JPAC and followed Calamity's tutorial to set up CRTEmuDriver (and it's tools) as well as GroovyMAME. I'm able to run GroovyMAME on my Impress CRT and the games look really good when it's running. The issue I'm grappling with now is that there's a ton of flicker on the CRT when I'm either in my MAME frontend (I'm trying to use FEEL), or simply navigating in Windows. I've tried to read up as much as I can and it sounds like it's likley due to the interlaced resolution I'm running in (640 x 480 I think).

Tried messing around with the Arcade_OSD tool that is in the CRTEmuDriver suite of tools, which allows you to mess with some of the attributes of the resolutions that VMMaker builds. Someone mentioned trying to increase the VTotal setting under 'modelines' for the resolution I'm working with. I've not seen any real marked improvement with regard to the flickering.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Forum searches seem to devolve into the nuances of screen resolutions and I'm admittedly a bit green when it comes to all of this. Seems like I'm somewhat close given that I can get MAME launching games on the CRT and they look good. The big hurdle is to find out how to run a frontend that doesn't have an annoying level of flicker to it.

Much thanks all,
OM