Capcom Fighting Evolution panned by Gamespot (and IGN; now updated)

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Twas already panned in EGM and a few other mags.

Ripped on it for having taken sprites from other games and just throwing them into this one.

LOLZ

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Twas already panned in EGM and a few other mags.

Ripped on it for having taken sprites from other games and just throwing them into this one.

LOLZ

I thought maybe, and I do mean "maybe", Gamespot would be a little more forgiving being they love fighting games and all over there

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
roke stAr said:
I thought maybe, and I do mean "maybe", Gamespot would be a little more forgiving being they love fighting games and all over there

Meh, they did their jobs really. The 2D fighting industry (lol) has been lazy for years now. Just ripping and reusing sprites all over the place. Hardly anything "new" has come out in years that wasn't mostly made of older sprites.

It's a valid criticism, especially for those who may be looking for something to get into. Maybe that's why we can't get more people into this stuff. :(

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
this game screams slapped together, i almost can't believe capcom made it, it looks fan made, i'm sure none of the classic teams worked on this, it's all re-used graphics, moves, engines. it's left over scraps basically.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
it's also lacking in characters from what i can see. there had better be a lot of secred characters, or that had better be just one page of characters. if capcom is gonna make their attempt at putting their fighters into one game i want it to have more fighters than this. KOF 94 was a fusion of fatal fury, art of fighting, psycho soldier, ikari warriors, and several original characters. that was ten god damned years ago. capcom is just now getting to this kind of "game fusion" and so far seems to be sucking at it. where's Ken? where's hugo? where's vega? this had better not be a final version of the game with only this scant amount of characters.

25 characters in a game that's supposed to encompass capcom's fighters into one game.... for shame.

Last edited:

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
Pretty much what I expected. Capcom would never spend any REAL money on a 2D fighting game in this day and age.

Unless Playmore can breath some new life into the genre, then I'm afraid the end of 2D fighting games is nigh my friends... :crying:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
DashK said:
this game screams slapped together, i almost can't believe capcom made it, it looks fan made, i'm sure none of the classic teams worked on this, it's all re-used graphics, moves, engines. it's left over scraps basically.

So, you are saying they took a page from the Mugen book of game design that Playmore seems to have been the author of?

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I tell you, any healthy company (or entity period) needs a healthy rivalry to truly bring out the best work one can offer. Is it really any coincidence that Capcom went on hiatus after making CvS2, which came right after SNK went belly up?

Without SNK making the likes of Garou, Last Blade 2, and KoF'98, there's no reason for Capcom to make another Alpha 2 or SFIII:Third Strike, or Vampire series game.
One cannot exist without the other.

Playmore makes shit, and still makes money. Capcom figures it can follow suit.
If you guys spend money on shit, they'll keep selling it to you.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Loopz said:

or if we don't spend at all they just axe 2D fighters all together

double edged sword baby

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
or if ywe don't spend at all they just axe 2D fighters all togther

Between sorry-ass new shite like CFJ and SVC, I'll just remain in the past and play SFAC against people online on the Box.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
roke stAr said:
or if we don't spend at all they just axe 2D fighters all togther

double edged sword baby

Unfortunately I have a feeling it will happen anyway. The writing is on the wall. Lord knows Playmore isn't going to revive the genre. They just don't spend enough time or effort to enhance what SNK has already done before them. They will ride the old SNK gravy train until it gives out completely and even the die-hard fans don't care anymore.

At least we have more than a decade of great 2D fighting games to fall back on. And I know I'll get flamed for this, but I even enjoy the occasional 3D fighter when it's apparent that the developers spent some serious time on them (Virtua Fighter 4 Evo and Soul Calibur are gems IMO).

syringe

Banned
I sincerely doubt that 2D fighting will ever dissapear in it's entirely, but if it is inevitable....it's demise has only been hastened by the endless barrage of recycled shit coming out of Capcom.

I'm not buying it, because I'm not going to encourage their shortcuts and endless recycling with my money. It's really time for a new game and with the rights to SF going to Capcom USA there's at least hope of an all new 2D fighter on the horizon.

I do realize that it's somewhat hypocritical of me to bash Capcom for doing what SNKP has turned into an art form, but SNK games...even where a majority of sprites have been recycled, have never been visually offensive because they've never mixed sprites of various styles like Capcom did in CVS/CVS2. There's something about putting Alpha sprites together with SFIII and several redrawn sprites that have turned their last several games into something I would consider the equivalent of a horrific visual "meat grinder".

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
It really pains me to dis 2D, but I really don't see anything noteworthy in this game. Unfortunately, I won't be able to scream fuck t3h mainstream! this time. :oh_no:

Evolution??!! From what, Street Fighter II? Seriously, the title alone is enough to make me feel insulted. Let's see a litte more of an effort in your next attempt - k Capcom?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
I tell you, any healthy company (or entity period) needs a healthy rivalry to truly bring out the best work one can offer. Is it really any coincidence that Capcom went on hiatus after making CvS2, which came right after SNK went belly up?

Without SNK making the likes of Garou, Last Blade 2, and KoF'98, there's no reason for Capcom to make another Alpha 2 or SFIII:Third Strike, or Vampire series game.
One cannot exist without the other.

Playmore makes shit, and still makes money. Capcom figures it can follow suit.

its true, there is no one else out there pushing the 2D fighter envalope, in the past it was SNK and other companies, and capcom always had to one up them to get floor space in arcades or get hot home ports out. who is left to one up? guilty gear x is all i can think of, and i don't even think capcom cares much about that series. not to mention the 2D fighter market isnt what it used to be.

CFJ looks sorry as shit, i'd rather play alpha 2 on saturn than even buy that. and this is coming from a born capcom fanboy.

capcom has not made a new fighting game since 3rd strike. everything since has been re-used shit in one form or another.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
broken said:
So, you are saying they took a page from the Mugen book of game design that Playmore seems to have been the author of?

lolz

OH NOS sprites slapped together.

If it plays like shit, then it's shit.

I guess I'll know soon enough because I'm buying it.

But I'll sure as hell still be playing a shitload of SF3 and HSF2 online. God damn SF Anniversary is great. Probably my favorite game in a LONG time.

Now if I could just get SFA2/3 online... :drool:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If this games comes out to be recycled, hackneyed junk.

Then Collesum is gonna really blow it out fo the watter.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Not enough fighters to choose from. :shame:
It's probably going to lame. :oh_no:

Capcom get off your lazy ass's. :kekeke:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Then Collesum is gonna really blow it out fo the watter.
It must be just my impression, but I seem to remember first hearing about CFJ and NBC both around the same time, but CFJ has already hit arcades and is about to come home in a matter of hours. NBC, on the other hand, is still being put together, which is either a great sign that SNKP is taking their time making the game, or it means Capcom was better at keeping their game secret longer.

10 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
It must be just my impression, but I seem to remember first hearing about CFJ and NBC both around the same time, but CFJ has already hit arcades and is about to come home in a matter of hours. NBC, on the other hand, is still being put together, which is either a great sign that SNKP is taking their time making the game, or it means Capcom was better at keeping their game secret longer.

I'm pretty sure CFJ was announced before NBC by a bit.

But NBC looks like a much better put together game, for sure.

We'll see how it plays. Hopefully excellently.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Loopz said:
Between sorry-ass new shite like CFJ and SVC, I'll just remain in the past and play SFAC against people online on the Box.

And isn't SFAC just another re-release of an old game (SF3 TS) and another recycle exercise (HSF2)? I see your point that they are now on-line, but if I wanted to play these games I could just fire up the Saturn and DC versions of the equivalent games. I'd rather see "new" (OK, this one is totally rehashed, but at least they don't charge you full price, just 30$) games in the new consoles, for old games I already have the old consoles.

Last edited:

10 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
And isn't SFAC just another re-release of an old game (SF3 TS) and another recycle exercise (HSF2)?
but its done so well
Its not rehashed sprites on a broken system
its good old fashioned SF

SwordPlay

Crossed Swords Squire
There's no reason to play this game really, I doesn't bring anything new, or at least anything every remotely interesting to the fighting genre.

You've seen it all and done it all before in Capcom games, only much better and not nearly as rushed (which is exactly how this game feels.)

I'm sure people will buy and play it, but I honestly don't see the point.

It's a novel idea to try and combine all of Capcom's previous fighting incarnations into one game, but it's not something that's going to work out well when you put little-to-no effort into making the game, which sadly, is the case with CFJ. I'm not bashing this game for the sake of bashing it, because I really wanted to like this game, but it's just sad to see a company, who produced such a high-quality piece of material like Third Strike, follow-up with something like this; it's quite disheartening really.

First it was SNK and now it's Capcom.

At the very least, now SNK [SNKP] has moved to the Atomiswave, and seems to be putting a bit more effort into things, but now it's looking like it's Capcom's turn to take the plunge into fighting mediocrity.

Last edited:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Gee... hmm... I wonder what score they gave Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3.