Car Enthusiast Thread

Royal sapphire pearl with the typical terrible tan interior.

Passed on it, just not quite up to my standards even at a steal of a price, enjoyed driving it though, that non vvti 2jz just isnt quite enough in that car. I had a 2000 GS300 and boy howdy the vvti version is what you want in a car that weighs that much. I can already tell Im going to start watching the sc400 market now… old lexus addiction coming in nicely.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Yass!

I’ve ordered a copy, ETA is Tuesday 😊
It's a little confusing going through it at first, but I can tell the main part of the game is completing the Cafe section. I finally got a Civic Type R (EK) and an Integra Type R (DC2). Probably my favorite cars.

I hope a future update will include the Tesla Model S Plaid.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It's a little confusing going through it at first, but I can tell the main part of the game is completing the Cafe section. I finally got a Civic Type R (EK) and an Integra Type R (DC2). Probably my favorite cars.

I hope a future update will include the Tesla Model S Plaid.

Yup I’m enjoying it so far as a driving simulator but Forza is much, much, much more intuitive on the interface front. Gran Turismo 7 still prentends its 1999.

Having said that, I’m loving the mix of good and classic (even common) cars, the friendish license tests, the music rallies and mix of real life locations and tracks from older Gran Turismo games.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Yeah I am super excited for the rest of this year, i want to take more long trips. Talking about heading with a friend and his car and me in the sc430 and doing tail of the dragon this year or baby tail. I read the stock brakes on the sc430 are terrible once you push them so that sounds perfect. Also going to start going to car shows, want to check out some cars and coffee type events this year.

Are you going to track that car syn? Or is it for backroads? I imagine you might have some cool roads and scenery down your way.
Tail of the Dragon is great! Hitting it up this year for Deals Gap Rotary Rally (and Minis on the Dragon) for the fist time since I got the turbo engine for the FC.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Walking in the house from that drive, to get a call from the shop that was inspecting for vibration in my E36. Its the drive shaft u-joint, which on an E36 is a ~non serviceable~ part, which means…

New driveshaft $1200 for a cheapo aftermarket?!?!?!

Welp after the 5k in service ive spent on that car in the last two years, Im not paying that. Have to stop the bleeding at some point, bye bye E36.
I'm assuming it's getting sold? Sad to hear, but I feel like bimmers will bleed you dry faster than anything domestic or Japanese

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I really like the SC430. Never driven one but the folding hard top with back seats and near 300 hp is class. UK Top Gear hated them, never fully understood why (Porsche / Jaguar bias was rife in the early seasons of Top Gear.)

My 1991 Proton GLS 1.5 will be going into storage soon, just in time for the 911 996 C2 to come out to play. I’ve decided to use the funny old shit Proton in the winter months and use the Porsche in April till September when the Scottish weather is at its (relative) peak.

MOT and service for the 911 is due soon as well and I know the hand brake and engine mounts need looked at. I’ll be eating breakfast cereal 3 times a day in April no doubt to cover the bill. Worth it.
The Jag and Aston bias I understood because they're British manufacturers.

There was an absurd amount of love for Mercedes because Clarkson had one.

Not as sure about the Porsche thing.

The SC430 Hate was largely because it's a heavy GT car rather than a sports car. Tho they had more appreciation for other cars of that ilk - like the Alpina Z8

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The Jag and Aston bias I understood because they're British manufacturers.

There was an absurd amount of love for Mercedes because Clarkson had one.

Not as sure about the Porsche thing.

The SC430 Hate was largely because it's a heavy GT car rather than a sports car. Tho they had more appreciation for other cars of that ilk - like the Alpina Z8

The Porsche thing is easy to explain as well - Hammond had a 911 from the start of Top Gear series 1 (a 80s one). Clarkson has a soft spot for the 928 - you best hearing why from him directly on that one:

Yeah the Alpina Z8 was mainly hated by the Clarkson/Hammon/May trio for being slower with a smaller engine than the standard spec, yet more expensive. It probably made a more comfortable car to drive, but you know… where’s the POWA…

I'm assuming it's getting sold? Sad to hear, but I feel like bimmers will bleed you dry faster than anything domestic or Japanese
Nah, after some internet rabbit holing Ive got it solved with a cheap option my import mechanic didnt give me.

She will get one more warm season, this time with a boatload (like 5k) of fresh parts, this time with the 430 as drop top competition. I figure this season will let me know if I need to keep a lighter inertia car like the E36 in my lineup.

It sucks you are so far man, I would love to show you the wild forrest roads around me, move to cinci or something.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Got more than 6" of snow yesterday, so no Miata this weekend.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had a dealer quote me $3k for what turned out to be a dying battery. This isn't the first time I've had a completely off-target diagnosis from mechanic for what turned out to be a battery problem.

Mini Copper - Just recently dealer said we need an entirely new infotainment system because it was rebooting 30 seconds after starting the car. I asked if he could reflash, upgrade, or erase it all. He said no because it was going bad. I asked how he knew it was going bad...no response. So winter comes and it's slow to start. Put in new battery and all the electrical gremlins disappeared.... It's been 2 months and not a single problem.

Similar story with with my Lincoln years ago, but the dealer said it was a timing chain. Could be $5k because it's in the back. Turns out the engine just clicks when battery is dying. Very common behavior. Also the timing chain is in the front.

With the Porsche it is well known you get all sorts of computer errors after connecting new battery. You need to drive awhile for the computer to check everything is OK.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Nah, after some internet rabbit holing Ive got it solved with a cheap option my import mechanic didnt give me.

She will get one more warm season, this time with a boatload (like 5k) of fresh parts, this time with the 430 as drop top competition. I figure this season will let me know if I need to keep a lighter inertia car like the E36 in my lineup.

It sucks you are so far man, I would love to show you the wild forrest roads around me, move to cinci or something.
Agreed, buddy. Not THAT far tho - we should do some day trips and hang out again.

I'll be passing near ya on the way home from Deals Gap this year! Maybe we can grab dinner or something!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Got more than 6" of snow yesterday, so no Miata this weekend.
Do you drive the Miata at all in the winter? My GF wants to get one (for cruising, not for driving to work and whatnot) once we get our own house, but figures she will only be able to drive 8 or 9 months out of the year.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Do you drive the Miata at all in the winter? My GF wants to get one (for cruising, not for driving to work and whatnot) once we get our own house, but figures she will only be able to drive 8 or 9 months out of the year.
That's what I do. Spring, Summer and Fall.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
That's what I do. Spring, Summer and Fall.
OK, thanks. We probably won't be getting a 3-car garage :lolz: so I guess we can just cover it up and let the snow pile on it outside. If we end up getting one. I hope she does. That'll give me an excuse to get a 240 or a 300.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

I have, usually out of necessity, so not often. First, I have the roof completely off. Second, between the salt and shit roads I don't think I'd enjoy it. Third, right now it has 'summer' tires on it and worn ones at that. They're slick.

Maybe one day I'll buy the wheels I want and I can mount snow tires to the current set and go for some top down snow drives.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I have, usually out of necessity, so not often. First, I have the roof completely off. Second, between the salt and shit roads I don't think I'd enjoy it. Third, right now it has 'summer' tires on it and worn ones at that. They're slick.

Maybe one day I'll buy the wheels I want and I can mount snow tires to the current set and go for some top down snow drives.
Cool - thanks for the info.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Miatas can be perfectly fine in the winter, it all depends on the tires. Put some snow tires on it and it will go on the snow as well an anything out there. I used to drive around in all seasons during the occasional snow here, it's a lot of fun but I don't necessarily recommend it. It was fun coming to work where most people stayed home and the parking lot was 4 SUVs and a Miata.

The thing to worry about is the salt, if you don't clean that off it will rust like a motherfucker like most Mazdas. If you're in an area where the salt stays all winter I'd park it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Miatas can be perfectly fine in the winter, it all depends on the tires. Put some snow tires on it and it will go on the snow as well an anything out there. I used to drive around in all seasons during the occasional snow here, it's a lot of fun but I don't necessarily recommend it. It was fun coming to work where most people stayed home and the parking lot was 4 SUVs and a Miata.

The thing to worry about is the salt, if you don't clean that off it will rust like a motherfucker like most Mazdas. If you're in an area where the salt stays all winter I'd park it.
Oh yeah it’s salt city around here. I don’t even wear my good sneakers in the winter because everything it touches gets fucked up.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been watching that guy that added a Train Horn to his Miata. It comes in handy when these SUVs don't see you.