Car Enthusiast Thread

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I feel like there is untapped design inspirations in those old cars. It worked for the Mustang, but I guess it could also flop like the Thunderbird.

I'm gonna need to get back to Cars and Coffee after the winter break. I'm on year 3 of shopping for a new vehicle.....can't decide.
Man, I love those 02-05 Thunderbirds. I wonder if it was a 2+2 it would've been more successful.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Man, I love those 02-05 Thunderbirds. I wonder if it was a 2+2 it would've been more successful.
Yeah. that was a big miss IMO. I almost bought one a few times, and the 2 seater was definitely part of the reason I never pulled the trigger. They held some decent value for those that still own them.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Yeah. that was a big miss IMO. I almost bought one a few times, and the 2 seater was definitely part of the reason I never pulled the trigger. They held some decent value for those that still own them.
I think I saw one on the street recently when I was visiting Florida. They definitely have a cool look to them.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Anyone in this thread ever drive/own a Nissan Gloria?
I’m real keen on the front end, and it seems like a nice saloon car.

Now that beater 25 year old Skylines in my area have jumped from ~$9000 (before covid) to 20k as of last week, I’m looking to scoop a rhd late 90s JPN car before the Highscore Girl where they play Gran Tourismo comes out and the price jumps again.

7EB98DB5-68A4-4FD6-9CD9-EFAC9B42B63C.jpeg

Last edited:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Built a 992 out of the classic 911 set. I used Firas Lego Car's instructions. I raised the roof as I feel it's a bit squashed in Firas's design. I just think it's impressive they were able to pull this off. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty damn good 992 model.

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_170048892.jpg
    PXL_20230226_170048892.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
If it helps, here's my actual car :P I've order the pieces to make the model match, except mines a 991 so not sure I can pull off the tail light differences.
Beautiful 991. A 2013?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If it helps, here's my actual car :P I've order the pieces to make the model match, except mines a 991 so not sure I can pull off the tail light differences.

Lovely car, a couple of gens newer than mine. Is it manual or PDK? If memory serves me correctly the PDK was much improved in this model over the 997, which makes the Mercedes automatic box in my 996 look prehistoric.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Lovely car, a couple of gens newer than mine. Is it manual or PDK? If memory serves me correctly the PDK was much improved in this model over the 997, which makes the Mercedes automatic box in my 996 look prehistoric.
996s can still be had at an incredible value, at least around my neck of the woods. I was so in love (still am) with the 993, I think it took a while for the 996 to grow on me when they first came out - water cooled, the fried egg thing, etc. but I’ve come to have a special place in my heart for the 996 too.

I’m assuming you’ve had the IMS bearing replaced?

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Beautiful 991. A 2013?
Thanks! It's a 2014, had it just about a year.

It's a manual. I've never driven a 996 but I'd like to someday, is it a .1 or .2?

I don't really have any experience with the PDK, I really like manuals so they tend to win out for me. I do wish it was a 6 speed instead of 7 though. 6th and 7th took a while to get used to, but to be fair they really only come into play on the freeway.
I was so in love (still am) with the 993,
Yeah tell me about it. Such a gorgeous car. I've come to peace with knowing I'll never own an air cooled :P

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m assuming you’ve had the IMS bearing replaced?

Ha…ha…no…

It’s done many miles now and would have gone pop in the last 23 years if it was going to in my opinion. Plus my car is an early dual IMS model that were supposedly more reliable. I check the oil fairly regularly and if there was ever a hint of metal flakes I’d get the IMS done.

Agreed the 993 is a lovely 911. It’s probably that gen or the 997 that appeals to me most ‘looks wise’ of the 911s, although I confess I quite like the blade runner rear lights on the latest model.

It's a manual. I've never driven a 996 but I'd like to someday, is it a .1 or .2?

I don't really have any experience with the PDK, I really like manuals so they tend to win out for me.

Mine is the early gen 996, although one of the last of those as it was first registered in March 2000.

PDK now gives a better acceleration than a human can and last I read the majority of Porsche owners choose it over the manual option - but there’s something to be said for the satisfaction of a manual gear change, that’s true.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ive considered upgrading my 997 before this Porsche bubble bursts. It's insane how well these retain value, but it's also not logical at all.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
PDK now gives a better acceleration than a human can and last I read the majority of Porsche owners choose it over the manual option
Based on Autotrader listings it seems to be about 10 pdk cars for every manual car. That sadly means you almost always pay a premium for manual.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Out with the old and in with the... Older?
View attachment 63605View attachment 63606

How did the LS treat you? V8? Always liked them, thought the Getrag manual would have been fun but only available on the V6.

Also is that a Grand Marquis corner in the driveway in front of it?

I keep kinda dreaming that I'll be back in a sedan with my next car and wondering what the new (lol new, already been discontinued a few years) Conti might look like on the used market in 5-10 years.

Reactions: wyo

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The Continental is nice but if you want a full size sedan you should consider a V8 300.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
How did the LS treat you? V8? Always liked them, thought the Getrag manual would have been fun but only available on the V6.

Also is that a Grand Marquis corner in the driveway in front of it?

I keep kinda dreaming that I'll be back in a sedan with my next car and wondering what the new (lol new, already been discontinued a few years) Conti might look like on the used market in 5-10 years.
2005 LS sport 3.9 V8.
The LS makes me smile a little every time I get in it no matter how bad my day was.
Essentially an S-Type jaguar.
I wouldn't say it's 100% premium but damn.
Just too expensive to maintain as it gets older vs the value of the car. Requiring premium gas doesn't help either.
It's still pretty low miles considering, I bought it with something like 87k and right now it's a little over 118k.
Had no plans on the truck but it just fell in my lap.
2k Sonoma with under 40k miles on it for $4500, ok.
If I could find a way to keep both I would but realistically I just can't.
I'm going to be sad when it's gone.

That GM was my brother's, an 83 or an 84.
Oddly enough @wyo , he replaced it with a 300c Hemi.
Mine was an 86.

1986 grand Marquis.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
DF549AB7-C45C-4338-909F-4A0985B2247D.png
Nice cars and cabs, but this is my favorite thing in your garage-lol.

We just mini split the entire house; it’s 100 yrs old. Weird joists runs, no attic, no room for ductwork…stucco and grey stone, no way for traditional hvac. Loving it this winter!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
2005 LS sport 3.9 V8.
The LS makes me smile a little every time I get in it no matter how bad my day was.
Essentially an S-Type jaguar.
I wouldn't say it's 100% premium but damn.
Just too expensive to maintain as it gets older vs the value of the car. Requiring premium gas doesn't help either.
It's still pretty low miles considering, I bought it with something like 87k and right now it's a little over 118k.
Had no plans on the truck but it just fell in my lap.
2k Sonoma with under 40k miles on it for $4500, ok.
If I could find a way to keep both I would but realistically I just can't.
I'm going to be sad when it's gone.

That GM was my brother's, an 83 or an 84.
Oddly enough @wyo , he replaced it with a 300c Hemi.
Mine was an 86.
Nice! I've had one for 6 years. Best car I've owned tbh.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Nice cars and cabs, but this is my favorite thing in your garage-lol.

We just mini split the entire house; it’s 100 yrs old. Weird joists runs, no attic, no room for ductwork…stucco and grey stone, no way for traditional hvac. Loving it this winter!
That’s awesome, bud. Some day I need to come visit your place. It looks fantastic.

The mini split is my fave thing in the garage believe it or not. Hot summers and the abnormally cold winter (for us) this yr got nothin’ on this thing.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
we put one in each kids bedroom on the 2nd floor, makes a hell of difference and the main unit isn't as strained.