Car Enthusiast Thread

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Also, I learned this weekend that a Hyundai Elantra will apparently do 140mph. What a world.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Also, I learned this weekend that a Hyundai Elantra will apparently do 140mph. What a world.

the amount of pride i am feeling for my people is indescribable.

lithy

20 Year Member
the amount of pride i am feeling for my people is indescribable.

virginia-slims-cigarettes-ads-1025x1024.jpg

junkyard-find-1988-pontiac-lemans-sedan.jpg

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
View attachment 65566

Saw this Saturday night, soft spot since my first car was a gen 2 Taurus. This is a 94 or 95 with just 67k miles. Pretty base model car but pretty amazing shape for Pennsylvania.

Then, today was the car cruise at the drive-in. I didn't take pictures of everything, just a few things that stood out to me.

View attachment 65568
71 GTO

View attachment 65569

Hemi Cuda

View attachment 65570
View attachment 65571

Factory Five Shelby Daytona Coupe replica

View attachment 65572
Model A hot rod

Then did some driving after the show and followed this 66 Lemans around for a while.

View attachment 65573
Fuck all of those (bad ass) cars, where are the close ups on that sick ass van!?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I misspelled Excel in my post, but yeah- Juche car was a rough ride. The car ate clutches. Never bump-started so much in my life.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
mine got on two tyres in a sand dune and was never quite the same afterwards

Sigh, goodbye little buddy. Started cleaning her up today to take pics and list her for sale this week. Owned it a little over 6 years. The money and effort that has gone into keeping this car a nice clean and close to stock example is kind of insane. First and last bmw I will ever own. I know Ive posted this pic before but its my favorite one.IMG_3027.png

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Got a new ride over the weekend. Well - after months of research. Upgrade my 2020 Subaru BRZ to a 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S - the logical upgrade due to it's supreme handling and incredible balance with its mid-engine chassis. Took a short trip to Chicago for the buy, but got to visit Galloping Ghost arcade while there so I had a lot of fun.

The 5 hour drive back to Cincinnati was the most fun I've had in months - even in shitty Chicago traffic and endless miles of construction.

And no - this is unrelated to my current AES fire sale. :sneaky:

20230610_184609.jpg20230610_184552.jpg

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Sigh, goodbye little buddy. Started cleaning her up today to take pics and list her for sale this week. Owned it a little over 6 years. The money and effort that has gone into keeping this car a nice clean and close to stock example is kind of insane. First and last bmw I will ever own. I know Ive posted this pic before but its my favorite one.View attachment 65783

Those BBS wheels have a bit of value if you sell seperate.

Theyve already been separated and I had the stock bbs style 42’s blasted and powdercoated and put back on with a fresh set of contis. It also has a super perfect condition hard top. So curious to see if I get some crazy offers for that.

Im officially old enough I prefer stock wheels to ALMOST anything.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member

lithy

20 Year Member
Ran the PVGP Kick-Off Rally today. Rained all morning but decided to brave it in the Miata (has no roof on it) since it looked like it was moving out. Drizzled on us on the way over, but stayed dry the entire route. 8 year old served as my navigator, we missed the fourth turn.

It's a time/distance rally with target times from checkpoint to checkpoint. Penalty points assessed for each second early or late to the checkpoint, plus there is a bit of a road sign scavenger hunt to answer as you go too. We finished 4th. Just out of the running for a plaque and case of beer.

Now sitting at Sonic eating something to see how many cars might show up for their car cruise. Not many so far, but will add some photos. Below are a few highlights from the Rally parking lot.

PXL_20230709_144534564.jpg
PXL_20230709_154922574.jpg

PXL_20230709_154958383.MP.jpg

PXL_20230709_154911254.jpg

lithy

20 Year Member
Few minutes of video from the car today. Nothing exciting, but first time taking our knockoff GoPro out on a drive and I took the time to upload it, so might as well put it in here.

Kid took tons of video, maybe I'll edit it down into something more interesting but for now this was the best single chunk I could find to just clip and upload.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
That view with the pop-up headlights up is one of driving’s greatest pleasures. Vintage Car rallies with a kid sounds like a great father son/daughter activity.

I was a little surprised to see an old MG in those photos, they were common in the UK and are still fairly cheap here - but I didn’t know they were sold or cared for much overseas. The ones over here tend to rust very badly as they are from a time long before galvanised bodywork was a thing.

I’ve just had a weekend away in Crieff with my wife, apparently at the same time that the Ferrari Owner’s Club were having a get together at the same hotel. Some beautiful cars were parked up, with a sign saying ‘Ferrari Owners Club Parking only’. At breakfast this morning they had a private room booked, I could see in and yup it was alot of grey haired guys in their 50s plus, some with wives. I guess that’s one way to network with the rich and powerful.

Anyway, here are some pictures of their cars. I wouldn’t mind a F355 one day. Or a F360. Or a 328…
IMG_6918.jpeg
IMG_6919.jpeg
IMG_6920.jpeg
IMG_6921.jpeg
IMG_6922.jpeg
IMG_6923.jpeg
IMG_6924.jpeg
IMG_6925.jpeg
IMG_6926.jpeg
IMG_6927.jpeg

lithy

20 Year Member
That view with the pop-up headlights up is one of driving’s greatest pleasures. Vintage Car rallies with a kid sounds like a great father son/daughter activity.

I was a little surprised to see an old MG in those photos, they were common in the UK and are still fairly cheap here - but I didn’t know they were sold or cared for much overseas. The ones over here tend to rust very badly as they are from a time long before galvanised bodywork was a thing.

I’ve just had a weekend away in Crieff with my wife, apparently at the same time that the Ferrari Owner’s Club were having a get together at the same hotel. Some beautiful cars were parked up, with a sign saying ‘Ferrari Owners Club Parking only’. At breakfast this morning they had a private room booked, I could see in and yup it was alot of grey haired guys in their 50s plus, some with wives. I guess that’s one way to network with the rich and powerful.

Anyway, here are some pictures of their cars. I wouldn’t mind a F355 one day. Or a F360. Or a 328…
View attachment 66830
View attachment 66831
View attachment 66832
View attachment 66833
View attachment 66834
View attachment 66835
View attachment 66836
View attachment 66837
View attachment 66838
View attachment 66839

There was a 924S at the rally, should have grabbed a photo, but didn't really think about it until you replied.

Ferraris...meh? Obviously nice cars, they just don't do it for me. Even if I had the millions necessary it seems like there are so many other things I'd go for first, many for half the price. There are some nice ones in that lot though and I'm glad they're being driven at least.

Interesting to see purple on the one, silver is boring.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had to take a break from RCR. I really enjoy his stuff, but i think his videos became too frequent and the comedy gets a little stale.
It's more fun to catch them once and a while.

I will give him tons of credit for making regular cars a thing. Cars and Coffee and in general. I pay attention when I see a grandma's 1998 Ford Tempo in pristine condition. My nephew and I will share finds.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Speaking of Miatas, mine is in excellent mechanical shape but the paint has long since failed. I finally decided to do something about it but I couldn't do the sensible thing and just get it painted. No, I thought to myself "why don't I learn how to paint?" I had zero equipment btw.

First experiment, with an old busted fender I was keeping around to test:

fender.jpg

I didn't have the spray gun adjusted correctly so it was laying the paint on too thick and spitting a little. But I think my spray technique was pretty good since I I laid it on nice and evenly, it just has too much texture to it. I could still sand it down and polish it pretty well. I was messing with the spray gun last night and have it adjusted much better. I think I'm probably going to sand it down and try again.