Cart Fixing Issue.

Shogeki

n00b
I got a big lot of mvs for free, but they are in awful condition (apparently some were stored for a while in a very humid environement).

Most of the carts worked after a little clean up but for some, the pcbs were so much damaged that i had to use some old mvs pcb and transfert some the roms on them.

Some carts are apparently having dead roms as well, I managed to fix a few with eproms (and emulator roms), i didn't even bother for big games (since it would cost me more than buying the actual cart).

I'm just having troubles with a Neo Drift Out now , the prog board looks like it was in contact with water for a while and is completely ruined (the cart didnt even have a label anymore, I had to check the master list to see what game teh numbers on the roms corresponded to).

I tried to put the original roms back on a new prog board but the game wouldnt boot (the roms are full of rust) , so I burnt a new p1.

Now the game is booting and working fine exept that the samples are garbled, i decided to burn the 2 V roms from a rom set i found on the web.

Now the sound is better, but the effects are still quite odd, it seems that some of the adresses to the sound effects are wrong and the sound is just acting weird, and i have no voice at all. (see the video attached).

So do you think there is a problem with the emulator romset I used ?

Or it could be the cha board ? the rom used for replacement ?

My Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ZiDB925zY

Normal game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Is9i5zONQ

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you don't need to set any jumpers on the CHA then I would say the rom file is either wrong or corrupt.

Shogeki

n00b
If you don't need to set any jumpers on the CHA then I would say the rom file is either wrong or corrupt.

Yeah I tried to look for some different rom sets but there aren't any apparently.

I guess i will have to find another neodriftout cart, dump the v roms and burn them.

The cart is super rare in Japan I never even saw one in shops.

Ill let you know how it goes, there are some other carts I haven't started to fix too.

sagouin256

n00b
What kind of eproms did you use for V Rom ?
It's a 8bits bus so 27c322 cannot be used since its's 16bits only...

Shogeki

n00b
Les 2 roms V sont des 27c160, pas d'erreurs de programmations dessus a priori.

je savais qu'il n'était pas possible de mettre des 27c322.

Donc soit il y a un problème avec le fichier que j'ai utilisé sur le roms V.

Soit un problème de jumper, mais j'ai suivit le modèle de la cartouche originale donc pas de problèmes a priori. (JV5/JV6/JV7/JV8)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2 V roms are 27c160, they were programmed properly apparently.

I knew it was possible to use 27c322.

So the problem is either due to the file I used to make the V roms.

Or to a jumper problem, but I copied the jumper settings from the original prog board I have, so it shouldn't be an issue (JV5/JV6/JV7/JV8)

Last edited:

Shogeki

n00b
P ROM - 68K program (16-bit)
V1 ROM - ADPCM-A port (8-bit)
V2 ROM - ADPCM-B port (8-bit)

C ROM - VDP object tiles (32-bit)
S ROM - VDP overlay tiles (8-bit)
M ROM - Z80 program (8-bit)

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Well that makes sense. However I thought all the EPROM used are the same type.

Shogeki

n00b
The V roms are 8 bits , so the 32mbit mask roms used by snk for the V roms (TC5332204AP) are different from the ones used for the P and C roms (TC5332205AP).

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I have always thought all the chips were the same for some reason (because they look the same I guess).

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
A thought- did you pad the rom? I have seen problems with NES games when you have the chip not filled all the way up. Just duplicate the code on the chip until you fill it all up, otherwise sometimes you can get erratic behaviour. Downloaded romsets often remove this padding.

Shogeki

n00b
A thought- did you pad the rom? I have seen problems with NES games when you have the chip not filled all the way up. Just duplicate the code on the chip until you fill it all up, otherwise sometimes you can get erratic behaviour. Downloaded romsets often remove this padding.

No need to pad the roms since they already have the full code on them.

I changed the jumper settings and it's still not working, ill try to get a copy of the original cart and dump it to compare the roms.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
No need to pad the roms since they already have the full code on them.

I changed the jumper settings and it's still not working, ill try to get a copy of the original cart and dump it to compare the roms.

Afaik there is only one Neo Driftout rom set, you could always compare CRCs with the mame set.

PS a fine game too, and fairly rare.