Castlevania Animated Series - On Netflix

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I enjoyed the series for what it was. I didn't think it was anything stellar. I think all the "fucks" and flipping-off seemed out of place and kind of forced.

Didn't really like how Trevor became sort of a secondary character in the Second season.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I enjoyed the series for what it was. I didn't think it was anything stellar. I think all the "fucks" and flipping-off seemed out of place and kind of forced.

Didn't really like how Trevor became sort of a secondary character in the Second season.

I agree with the comedy. I think that they could have had tension between Trevor and Alucard without lowering the bar. But after Game of Thrones, I expect most of the gutter humor in western feudal/fantasy type stories to mimic the template. It is very much 'normie' humor.

As for the show pivoting off of Trevor, I kind of saw this 'season' as the completion of the first season. Trevor's character was established and had most of his arc completed in the first four episodes last year. The only thing he had left to do was understand the value of companionship. He'd returned to his family's vampire hunting roots after half a life running from it and opening up to others was the culmination of his arc.

I honestly would not be surprised if the series moved away from a Belmont and portrayed Hector and Isaac as the main characters next time. After all, we're going to have to wait a while before Simon is born, presumably to Trevor and Sypha, if they go that way.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Well I aint going through that trauma again to take pics :p

So you will have to wait till I get around to Simons quest and ile take a pic of that for ya ;)

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Yeah, while Castlevania 1 and 2 were great at the time, I would never ask anyone to play them now. I would tell people to start on the third game and go from there.

As for the series I just finished episode 5 of S2, will watch the rest tonight. I appreciate the world building and character motivations from Dracula's side. I like that he is so broken that nothing matters except the end goal. There is no fire in him, only the end matters. The "fucks" and stupid humor need to go; it is always jarring when it happens. Godbrand's voice actor is the only one who sounded like a Saturday morning cartoon character, the rest of the crew are great. The animation quality is still sketchy but good enough overall to not be a major issue. I did actually freeze the screen once out of horror when Isaac and Hector are talking on their walk when they come across a fox. Go back and pause that exact scene and it makes you wonder if it was something added in after they already ran out of money.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Just finished the second season, and wow is it good. Not going to offer any spoilers, but it seems like they are setting it up for a 3rd or 4th season.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yeah, while Castlevania 1 and 2 were great at the time, I would never ask anyone to play them now. I would tell people to start on the third game and go from there.

As for the series I just finished episode 5 of S2, will watch the rest tonight. I appreciate the world building and character motivations from Dracula's side. I like that he is so broken that nothing matters except the end goal. There is no fire in him, only the end matters. The "fucks" and stupid humor need to go; it is always jarring when it happens. Godbrand's voice actor is the only one who sounded like a Saturday morning cartoon character, the rest of the crew are great. The animation quality is still sketchy but good enough overall to not be a major issue. I did actually freeze the screen once out of horror when Isaac and Hector are talking on their walk when they come across a fox. Go back and pause that exact scene and it makes you wonder if it was something added in after they already ran out of money.

That scene with the fox was weird to me. I was like 'why is the fox just sitting there?' Was it a reanimated fox and I missed the detail?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I would also advise someone to start with 3, but I don’t think 2 is worth skipping entirely.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
They must play both 1 and 2.

Before 3.

They must know our joy (1) and our pain (2) before they can stand up and be welcomed into the brotherhood.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
I finished the series off last night and the castle fight was very impressive. I loved Alucard's fighting style with the floating sword and the transformation was a nice touch. They showed that Dracula is truly godlike and even Alucard gets tossed around by him.

I assume for season 3 it will be about:

Spoiler:
Isaac bringing Dracula back and taking down Carmilla's new army.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I finished the series off last night and the castle fight was very impressive. I loved Alucard's fighting style with the floating sword and the transformation was a nice touch. They showed that Dracula is truly godlike and even Alucard gets tossed around by him.

I assume for season 3 it will be about:

Spoiler:
Isaac bringing Dracula back and taking down Carmilla's new army.

Spoiler:
It seems like they're going right in to Curse of Darkness for PS2, which takes place after Dracula's Curse but while Trevor is still alive. If they do this, it indicates to me that Hector will be the main character and he'll do battle with Isaac. The only question is how, exactly, he gets away from Carmilla. Unless they are using the characters but not the story of Curse of Darkness.

Also:

Spoiler:
Where the hell was Grant? I really hope we see him in this show at some point.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I liked the series, but my hangups weren't with the pacing rather the story with Dracula after the war already begun. Carmilla seemed needless in the grand scheme of things. They made Hector kinda pointless though that might be the case just to get him in there for fanservice. I wanted to like Hector, but it felt necessary to villify Hector to make Issac relateable. It had a Fantastic Four (Josh Trank version) feel where you're made to feel one way then everything switches to force you to feel another even though it feels very unnatural. Lastly Trevor was barely important at all. Considering he was the main character that seems a bit off.

Again I do like it, but I just accept it for what it is. A fan story lovingly done that's fun to watch.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Spoiler:
Grant was dropped because: Due to the limited time, Ellis opted to drop Grant Danasty, a pirate character in the game; Ellis noted that besides "the stupid name", he felt the pirate was misplaced in the setting and that the limited run time would not allow him to develop the character fully, per wikipedia.

Also, very wrong to have the main final fight be Al and Drac instead of Trevor and Drac.

edit: fuck, just realized Dracula never turned into a second form. I know I'm sounding like a whiny bitch but come on. Castlevania needs a second form Dracula.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
After I watched the series (but before I played the first game) I read up the general storylines.

Holy shit what a confusing tale!
Especially the whole Dracula/Trevor/Alucard relationship.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Well I aint going through that trauma again to take pics :p

So you will have to wait till I get around to Simons quest and ile take a pic of that for ya ;)

Trauma? Are you serious? I used to 1 CC the 1st game in my sleep. The only hard fight for me was Death if you didn't have the Cross/Boomerang to handle all his mini-scythes.

Speaking of classic music. Ran across this last night..

Good shit.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Trauma? Are you serious? I used to 1 CC the 1st game in my sleep. The only hard fight for me was Death if you didn't have the Cross/Boomerang to handle all his mini-scythes.

Speaking of classic music. Ran across this last night..

Good shit.

You probably can 1cc it if you play the hell out of it but the game does not hold that higher status for me.
I lost count of how many times I died!

Those little monkey goblin bastard things before Frankenstein drove me nuts!

I think the only game I have played so much that I can 1cc it with 0 effort involved would be Streets of Rage 2.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Spoiler:
Grant was dropped because: Due to the limited time, Ellis opted to drop Grant Danasty, a pirate character in the game; Ellis noted that besides "the stupid name", he felt the pirate was misplaced in the setting and that the limited run time would not allow him to develop the character fully, per wikipedia.

Also, very wrong to have the main final fight be Al and Drac instead of Trevor and Drac.

edit: fuck, just realized Dracula never turned into a second form. I know I'm sounding like a whiny bitch but come on. Castlevania needs a second form Dracula.

Yeah, the whole second to last episode was weird to me. Pacing seems rushed for that episode.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ellis wasn't trying hard enough. Grant doesn't need a complex character motivation. Maybe he's just mad at one of Dracula's minions for changing him into a monster and killing his crew and he wants revenge so he asks to tag along. He has agility and is sneaky and seems capable in a fight beyond average human ability so they take him along. He and Trevor drink and sing songs and Grant is blamed for being a bad influence on Trevor. He can be the uncouth one, leaving Trevor to lead the team. What I'm saying is that Grant doesn't have to have layers as a character. When it's all said and done, he can head for the coast and try to join up with another pirate crew, maybe to be used again later on in some capacity.

As for 'DaNasty' as a last name, they could easily just say that's his pirate nickname because all famous pirates have nicknames, to which Trevor can say 'I've never heard of you' and Grant can respond 'Well, now you have' or 'Welll....you will.' Bam. Character established.

So in the case of Grant, Ellis is full of shit.

I'm not that bitter about Alucard and Dracula being the central focus of the final conflict. Trevor and Sypha contributed greatly and it would have been a lot harder for Dracula's arc to come full circle had he not been trying to kill his own son in the room where he grew up.

But I DO think that when Isaac resurrects him, there will be some chicanery where the human elements will be weeded out and Isaac can tell Dracula 'Now you don't have to worry about any of that anymore because I've made you perfect.' I mean, they COULD go that way if they wanted to.

Then we'll get our transformation boss fight.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Taiso, it is such a shame I will never watch a show that you wrote for or set ideas/made a show bible for. I truly do admire your vigor in how much thought you put into all the media you experience.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Taiso, it is such a shame I will never watch a show that you wrote for or set ideas/made a show bible for. I truly do admire your vigor in how much thought you put into all the media you experience.

Thanks for the kind words.

Also, don't be too sure that it'll never happen.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
"I'll never see your show."

"Well, you will."

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
"I'll never seen your show."

"Well, you will."

In truth, I've had a few chances to get my foot in the door but I've had some pretty good support around me telling me "I know who you are and you will feel like you are selling yourself short if you do this."

It was me being starstruck at opportunities I thought would lead to greater things but, upon further review, I chose to abstain because I knew that as long as I couldn't call the shots and dictate the creative direction, I'd be selling my soul to have my name on something that wasn't really 'mine' but which could claim me as part of its collective and that's not the underlying principle that defines me as a person.

I mean...we ALL have to sell out at some point but until you sign it over, you get to choose which devil owns you. I'm still waiting for mine.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Also:

Spoiler:
Where the hell was Grant? I really hope we see him in this show at some point.

ONLY thing I did not like about the series.

I could not beat Draculain his final form without him.