Castlevania II English Re-translation (+Map)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So I saw the enhancement featured on My Life in Gaming and decided to give it a shot. Appears it is being updated regularly. Last update was in 2022. I downloaded 2.12.1.1 as suggested by the site not the most recent revision 2.12.1.2.

It works great on my NES and AVS:

After firing it up, this is by far the longest I’ve played the game … ever. Music is great (as expected) and for an 8 bit game the graphics are really good. Game is still mid-tier. It’s not going to blow away 1 and 3 or anything crazy like that but y’all should check it out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven’t played the most recently revision but yeah, the QoL patches make this a pretty great game.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm a fan of this project. Helps to realize the potential of a flawed gem. I just wish they'd find a way to use the Disk System soundtrack.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
This is what i like to see in hacks quality of life improvements for games that have flaws.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I'm a fan of this project. Helps to realize the potential of a flawed gem. I just wish they'd find a way to use the Disk System soundtrack.
Couldn’t you play it on an actual fds system for acurate sound?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Why? Is there a problem with versioning?
Of course not. I think everything is great and nobody should ever be reductive of anyone’s efforts at anything. Anyone who tells you anything anywhere is bad or stupid is really just horribly lonely and sad and really hates themself, not the thing they are knocking. That sort of hater is only trying to make himself feel better by attacking others and I for one feel sorry for those people.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I_am_Error.png

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Version 2.12.1.1 is just fine. I didn't respond to that post because there was no context. It's still a cryptic weird game and this hack doesn't fix that part of it (although clues are more decipherable with the retranslation), but it went from being unplayable bullshit to an interesting yet sometimes fun curiosity. I mean the graphics and sound make it worth it alone.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It's fine to be critical of whatever you want, really. Comprehensive versioning is a sign of giving a shit about what you're working on in software development though, so writing something off because of that feels a bit weird.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Let me nitpick something minuscule that could be the product of many collaborative fixes so that I'm setting myself apart from these sheeple.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It's fine to be critical of whatever you want, really.

OH THANK YOU FOR THE PERMISSION.

Oh, and thanks also for writing the very bullshit I was mocking already. You couldn’t have done a better job.

Since we’ve established that everyone has the right to complain and also that you guys lack subtly almost totally, I’ll explain myself.

I’m not mocking the concept of version numbers, or this specific version, or anything like it, fuck. You can’t make anything complex or collaborative without version numbers. What I find stunningly inbred is the idea that someone would fuck with someone else’s 35 year old so-so game to the point where they actually needed version numbers to keep track of it. That’s really really really…deep. That’s along the same lines as making your own custom edit of Star Wars or forensically retracing every place Dylan was in August of 66 via period magazines. It’s He Man fucking Rainbow Bright fanfic stuff. It’s shows a lot of skill but also how small some peoples world’s are.

Verdict: needs smoke machine.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
You still haven't explained why the versioning turned you off.

You did manage to come off like an utterly insufferable know it all fuckboy, as always though. So nice job on that, I guess?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Maybe Zeta is actually trying to contextualize a reply and to him it sounds eloquent and well outlined. Like he has an actual point, and he tries his damndest to type it out to get his point across. To him it's plain English.

I mean, its not, but I think thats what he sees.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Maybe Zeta is actually trying to contextualize a reply and to him it sounds eloquent and well outlined. Like he has an actual point, and he tries his damndest to type it out to get his point across. To him it's plain English.

I mean, its not, but I think thats what he sees.
Everything makes total sense when you're always right.

Last edited: