Castlevania II English Re-translation (+Map)

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
That’s along the same lines as making your own custom edit of Star Wars or forensically retracing every place Dylan was in August of 66 via period magazines. It’s He Man fucking Rainbow Bright fanfic stuff. It’s shows a lot of skill but also how small some peoples world’s are.

Jesse, what the fuck are you talking about?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I can see all the problems with the game clearly now. Besides it being cryptic as fuck there’s no real epic battle in the game.

Dracula is the only real boss encounter, and he is incredibly easy to beat. There’s two other mini bosses, but they fucking suck cock. It’s all kind of surprising coming from old Konami.

So no epic battles and cryptic bullshit. Maybe they rushed this game. It deserves all the hate it gets. Even the hacks can’t fix broken game design but at least it’s playable now.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm glad you like the patch, but it doesn't justify all this Castlevania 2 hate. Yeah, it didn't have any good boss battles, what else is new? The game's not perfect; few games were. It combined a lot of elements used in previous games, but it was still pretty groundbreaking for a mainstream NES release at the time. I enjoyed finishing it many times as a kid after figuring it out.

I'm a fan of this project. Helps to realize the potential of a flawed gem. I just wish they'd find a way to use the Disk System soundtrack.
It would be nice, but fwiw, I realized after I got the Disk version years ago that the Disk version soundtrack is not very good. It isn't full and bass-y like the regular NES version.

The Dracula's castle BGM, for example, is missing the percussion. Maybe it's because it doesn't match what scared me when I was 9, but for me it's way less foreboding this way:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
It would be nice, but fwiw, I realized after I got the Disk version years ago that the Disk version soundtrack is not very good. It isn't full and bass-y like the regular NES version.

The Dracula's castle BGM, for example, is missing the percussion. Maybe it's because it doesn't match what scared me when I was 9, but for me it's way less foreboding this way:

To each his own. It's a split decision for me. Some tracks I like the NES version better, some FDS. The first time I heard the FDS version, I thought something was wrong with my FDS, like there was no way it actually sounds like that. Then I listened to the OST (Akumajo Dracula Best), and there it was. Thankfully we have both versions. Here's to hoping someday they make at least a translation patch for the FDS Dracula 2 image.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That's fair. I do enjoy certain tracks from the FDS version from time to time. Overall I've come to prefer the NES soundtrack.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm glad you like the patch, but it doesn't justify all this Castlevania 2 hate. Yeah, it didn't have any good boss battles, what else is new?

That's sort of a big deal. The boss battles are some of the best parts of the series. It's pretty ridiculous that every boss battle (for the few that are there) are stupid easy. This is a like a bad puzzle game with good graphics/sound. I get that we're playing it out of context, but the game still lacks direction even with the fixes. Bad level design, bad boss battles, but good graphics and sound. It's ok, but falls well short of the what the series is known for today.

I'm not opposed to all the weird sequels NES received. I liked Mario 2 and Zelda 2, but this game only got saved with a hack and even then it doesn't come near the greatness of what followed (CV3/Rondo/SCIV/Bloodlines) or even the original that preceded it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That's sort of a big deal. The boss battles are some of the best parts of the series. It's pretty ridiculous that every boss battle (for the few that are there) are stupid easy. This is a like a bad puzzle game with good graphics/sound. I get that we're playing it out of context, but the game still lacks direction even with the fixes. Bad level design, bad boss battles, but good graphics and sound. It's ok, but falls well short of the what the series is known for today.
Bosses may be important in the series, but this game is an early departure. It's it's own thing.

I'm not opposed to all the weird sequels NES received. I liked Mario 2 and Zelda 2, but this game only got saved with a hack and even then it doesn't come near the greatness of what followed (CV3/Rondo/SCIV/Bloodlines) or even the original that preceded it.
That's your opinion, man. Those are both well-made classic games, but personally I'll take imperfect Cv2 over SMB2 or Zelda 2 any day.