Catoblepa's art

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Your art really reminds me of late 80s early 90s anime. It makes me want to go re-watch samurai troopers
Thank you SnowxSakura, that's the mood that I've tried to achieve (this is a retro game, after all). Well, it's also the kind of anime I grew up with: here in Italy anime was imported and dubbed as soon as the seventies, and it's been part of our childhood - instead of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, we watched Hokuto No Ken 😁
Impressive even if I could care less about the game.
Caring about the game is not strictly required, thanks Lach 😉👍

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Second (and maybe last) batch of pics...

One of the things that I had to decide very early was the level of detail of the insert illustration: the scene included many different elements, but my scanner can only take A4, so I couldn't afford painting on large sheets of paper. Even character faces would be very, very small on that kind of format, so I decided to use a hybrid system: using most of the A4 height for the bodies, and making separate (bigger and more detailed) heads, then putting them together with Photoshop. It worked pretty well, 'cause it's very difficult to notice the variation in the thickness of the ink lines (and I've made sure to draw them a bit thicker, on purpose). 😉

cEhxomO.jpg

B2GygMf.jpg

All the backgrounds are separate elements, too - the floor being the only one bigger than A4 (so I had to take it to a printing service to make a scan).

JMl7Ajw.jpg

And finally, here's a couple of ink-only scans of the postcard illustration. I've used brown ink for some of the details, but that wasn't very wise... I'd suggest NOT to use it if you want to paint watercolours over that - only black indian ink is waterproof, any other colour will smudge. I've learned the hard way.

two0jHr.jpg