Chart to help choose the right Neo Geo Multi Cart

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi Everyone,

I created several charts to help compare the different MVS multi carts out there. I took the list of offical Neo Geo MVS games on wikipedia and used it for the a better comparison. I am not sure if the list is accurate, but it was super helpful in weeding out the ROM hacks.

The new list is sorted 2 ways.

1. Sorted by rarity. The more multi carts the game is in the higher it is on the list.
  2. Sorted by game title.

This updated list really gives you a much better idea of how many games you get in each multi cart. For example here are the real game totals in each cart:

• 18-in-1 = 11 real games
  • 32-in-1 = 24 real games
  • 45-in-1 = 31 real games
  • 48-in-1 = 34 real games
  • 100-in-1 = 67 real games
  • 108-in-1 = 67 real games
  • 111-in-1 = 67 real games
  • 120-in-1 = 77 real games
  • 138-in-1 = 97 real games

I also have each game title linked to the Wikipedia article for that game. It should be helpful for those who do not know every title for the MVS.

Anyway, check out the updated lists, they are at the bottom of my blog post, and let me know if I have something wrong.

Here is a link to my blog with the charts:
http://www.tighelory.com/2010/01/choosing-neo-geo-mvs-multi-cart.html

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
thanks. it's a shame ninja masters isn't on the 120 in 1 because the dongle they have is too much of a hassle to deal with.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
I think it's fair to say the best multi cart would be none at all.

If you aren't going to play the real thing you may as well just stick to mame instead of buying one of those crappy things.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I think it's fair to say the best multi cart would be none at all.

If you aren't going to play the real thing you may as well just stick to mame instead of buying one of those crappy things.

Agreed. NeoRageX works fine. I use it to test out games I've never played BEFORE buying the cart.

It's MUCH better to play on a legit cabinet, or at least legit hardware. :)

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I got mine so when my nephews and niece visit they don't keep asking me to swap out metal slugs and KOF games for them.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
I got mine so when my nephews and niece visit they don't keep asking me to swap out metal slugs and KOF games for them.

The real beauty of the mvs format is that you don't really have to worry about others handling the carts.

Show them how to change the games, I'm sure they can handle it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The real beauty of the mvs format is that you don't really have to worry about others handling the carts.

Show them how to change the games, I'm sure they can handle it.

Do you have nieces or nephews? They're not exactly careful with things. My nephew was convinced he could get a Home System cartridge in my CMVS. I caught him a few times trying. And yes I told him not to try from the start.

Multicarts are great when other people's kids are around.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Do you have nieces or nephews? They're not exactly careful with things. My nephew was convinced he could get a Home System cartridge in my CMVS. I caught him a few times trying. And yes I told him not to try from the start.

Multicarts are great when other people's kids are around.

Hell, I can agree that anything of value to you should be kept out of reach of certain children, but I doubt most kids will cause harm to an mvs cart, and even if they some how manage to, it was only an mvs cart.

Teach them how to treat and enjoy it. Making a kid play a multicart is like making them read a photo copy of a comic book.......LAME.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Making a kid play a multicart is like making them read a photo copy of a comic book.......LAME.

It's not LAME if you paid a couple hundred for a classic, valuable comic and don't want various nasal secretions and/or peanut butter spread on the pages....

Seriously, if somebody values something, why would you rag on them for wanting to keep it in top condition? Most people on this forum most likely share at LEAST one thing in common: they are COLLECTORS.
And collectors don't spend all that time/money/energy acquiring their prized possessions just to let some snot-nosed punk grub it up.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Hell, I can agree that anything of value to you should be kept out of reach of certain children, but I doubt most kids will cause harm to an mvs cart, and even if they some how manage to, it was only an mvs cart.

Teach them how to treat and enjoy it. Making a kid play a multicart is like making them read a photo copy of a comic book.......LAME.

I wish it was as easy as you make it sound:D

I'm more worried about my CMVS than the cartridge to be honest.

I don't see darcotrigger ragging as much as pointing out that the Multi's are a waste of money.

I do own a couple (48 & 111) and I prefer the real thing but the multi's are great for kids, to me. Especially since I have a 1-slot AND I'm a lazy fuck.

Last edited:

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
It's not LAME if you paid a couple hundred for a classic, valuable comic and don't want various nasal secretions and/or peanut butter spread on the pages....

Seriously, if somebody values something, why would you rag on them for wanting to keep it in top condition? Most people on this forum most likely share at LEAST one thing in common: they are COLLECTORS.
And collectors don't spend all that time/money/energy acquiring their prized possessions just to let some snot-nosed punk grub it up.

Sorry , not trying to rag on ya. Honestly, I've bought a lot of high end collectables and understand the virtue of taking good care of your possesions. Hell, I can send you some pics of games I've owned since childhood myself that are still minty fresh.

Just that to me the beauty of the MVS format is that they are not high end collectables. They are a bunch of rad-ass games that are meant to be played and enjoyed and shared with the people you care about. No need to be fussy about it, if a cart gets scuffed it isn't going to kill the value. Seriously, just enjoy the games, that's what it's all about.

Nobody will ever be able to justify a multicart to me. PERIOD. Using one to protect your your MVS gear seems silly to me. If your that worried about it just keep them away from it all together. No need for the multi.

Those kids are probably more likey to spill grape juice on your carpet then hurt those carts. And what's that gonna cost you? Probably more then a SS0S MVS cart :D

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd worry more about the kids that actually try to change the carts. Let's say an impatient one tries to switch a cart in a slot WITHOUT turning off the power (most old cartridge based consoles would have a tab that prevents it, but not the mvs), or put it in the wrong orientation. That's a recipe to disaster as either a massive shock or a fire would be a real possibility.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
guys, my set up is a full up right MVS Woody. it's not a CMVS.

to change carts they have to open the coin door, unhatch the control panel, pull down the control panel, reach in (farther than they can reach BTW), pull out the cart, and put in the new one.

It took me a while to get the hang of it.

Also, once that CP is pulled down, that cart could easily hit a resistor or a capacitor and knock it off if you're rough putting it in. and since they're short (they're kids) they'd be putting it in blind unless another one got a chair and held a flash light over it and directed it 'to the left, up, down a little more, to the right..."

The kids come over, "Uncle Henry, can we play the arcade machine?" "Yeah sure." *opens coin door, unhatches CP, pull down CP, swap carts, power on.* and I'm not bugged until they beg to stay "10 MORE MINUTES"

as for the "it was only an MVS cart" dude, some of us treasure our stuff. MVS, AES, or NES. My stuff is my stuff and I don't like it getting damaged. I let out a groan when a microswitch died in an arcade stick I built 7 years ago.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Hey thaks for your work. I made an informed desicion using it to buy a 120-1. Im glad I waited for awhile and didnt get the 48-1s, this has a much better selection of games on it.

My quick review, the thing works damned near flawlessly. SO far Ive only found one game that didnt work right. Bang bead goes black at start up. Ive fired up over 20 games played the first level and so far havent had any problems.

4 slot, works with it, awhile ago everybody was saying these things only work with a one slot, works fine with mine. mv-4f I think. You couldnt put this out on a route though, you need to coin it then select the cart then it erases all credits and insert coins again and chooses a title. It erases credit when you reset it as well.

Works with the memory card. loaded up my level 8 save on puzzle bobble.

Campitable with the unibios, works with cheats, jukebox and the multi region and system selector. Ive tested in mainly US arcade though.

One of these days after i test it more and im broke Ill likely sell off my games I allready have on this list. So far its that good. Has at least 15 game I wanted but havent bought yet because they where cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

goldenegg

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have the 111-in-1 and love it. At the moment, it's being used in an AES w/ converter and works great.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd worry more about the kids that actually try to change the carts. Let's say an impatient one tries to switch a cart in a slot WITHOUT turning off the power (most old cartridge based consoles would have a tab that prevents it, but not the mvs), or put it in the wrong orientation. That's a recipe to disaster as either a massive shock or a fire would be a real possibility.

Kids and electronics DONT mix. When I was 13, my cousin (8) dropped his push pop on in my PS1....nice sticky saliva and sugar mix all over the laser and gear assembly. Took me hours to take it apart and clean it

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Great work. Might be useful to note all the general issues with the 138-in-1 though. I don't have one to confirm, but I've seen complaints about the JAMMA extender PCB's cable barely reaching the MVS cart on some 1 slot mobos, 2P coin input not working, games are slow to start up and when it finally switches from the menu to the game the demo mode is already in progress, etc.

I think the other multicarts have some minor limitations too like survival mode not working on Garou? But the 138-in-1 seems to have its own unique set of issues.

gerome-84

n00b
Hello, I recently bought a 120 in 1 for my american AES and use it with the super mvs converter 2.
It boots up fine and i get to the menu selection with the games. I can go up and down, add difficulty level etc but I can't run the games.
Does anybody know where this could come from? Thanks

gerome-84

n00b
Hello, I recently bought a 120 in 1 for my american AES and use it with the super mvs converter 2.
It boots up fine and i get to the menu selection with the games. I can go up and down, add difficulty level etc but I can't run the games.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey

Add difficulty level? That 120 must work different than my 108 - 1. I use my 108 in a US AES with a super converter 2 and it works great. A small percentage of games have issues, but I can throw it in the MVS CAB for those games.

gerome-84

n00b
I was thinking of something. Could it be that i can't select games on my 120 in 1 since it needs to have coin credit to do so? Would I have to install the Unibios to put credits?

Nice to see that we're getting such high quality new members.

MVS games are so cheap now. If you can't justify paying MVS prices for the real thing you should just head on over to Gamefaqs or some other shitty place to hang out.

tomboy2k3

NEST Puppet
I was thinking of something. Could it be that i can't select games on my 120 in 1 since it needs to have coin credit to do so? Would I have to install the Unibios to put credits?

Yes, with Unibios you can switch from Console to MVS Mode and so you can coin credits ;)