ChatGPT

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Open AI another company brought to you by Elon…
What all the hype ? would be great for students, feel like this might be shift toward dependent on the tech more than ever .

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
BulshitterBot9000 keeps making the news and people are legitimately scared of it. I don't get it -- ask the current publicly demoed models something you actually know and watch the hype dissolve away with the pretty but meaningless/wrong answer

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
BulshitterBot9000 keeps making the news and people are legitimately scared of it. I don't get it -- ask the current publicly demoed models something you actually know and watch the hype dissolve away with the pretty but meaningless/wrong answer
i've seen some stuff but haven't really followed it. but, this type of stuff is not meant to be a finished, flawless product upon release. the ai/ml models will continuously get tuned and perform better as time progresses.

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
i've seen some stuff but haven't really followed it. but, this type of stuff is not meant to be a finished, flawless product upon release. the ai/ml models will continuously get tuned and perform better as time progresses.
back in the ps1 days the 3D graphics wasn’t great but progress nicely into the ps2 . Not saying that they can make a big leap in a short period. The current tech trend toward Ai ,they will the most out of it with funding and resources .

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I’ve seen some interesting discussion of the bot being able to write computer code or to give it code with errors and it will fix the code. Doesn’t always work but it’s pretty interesting.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I’ve seen some interesting discussion of the bot being able to write computer code or to give it code with errors and it will fix the code. Doesn’t always work but it’s pretty interesting.
But the interesting part is how it's able to generate organic, credible looking text like no other machine learning model. Human language is damn hard for machines. This "giving computing advice" probably stems from the AI being trained with a whole lot of framework documentation code or stackoverflow crap... in fact it's pretty scary to think what they have scrapped and the volume of data they're using for this.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What I saw was that It’s able to generate workable code from a text prompt like “write a program in x language that performs y task with z data” - like a dude put in his programming homework prompt and it output working code first time. Ow I’ve no clue if this was a 1st year problem or a 4th (maybe it was high school.)

But yeah the fact that the interactions you can have with it seem so organic is pretty interesting.

It’s as if they’ve made a robot whose memory is the entirety of the data on the internet.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
What I saw was that It’s able to generate workable code from a text prompt like “write a program in x language that performs y task with z data” - like a dude put in his programming homework prompt and it output working code first time. Ow I’ve no clue if this was a 1st year problem or a 4th (maybe it was high school.)

But yeah the fact that the interactions you can have with it seem so organic is pretty interesting.

It’s as if they’ve made a robot whose memory is the entirety of the data on the internet.

If you strip that down to the basics…all you’re asking is for a computer to translate from one language to another. I’m not impressed, especially since one of the languages is probably the one the thing is written in…and the other language is the one you are speaking to it in…and most computer languages are semi-English to begin with…

Honestly the more I think about it the less impressive it sounds once you accept that Google Translate is the normal level of technoamazingness that we are living with.

Have it tell a joke. That I’d be interested in. Or have it write a program in assembly based on verbal/written instructions in Inuit or Archi and see if it still works. Something off the giant lookup table that is Google.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
Ok you make it pretty hard not to make fun of you. Natural languages aren’t no Programming 101 hello world tasks pal. It will actually tell you a joke and it operates scarily close to our current model for the human brain for it (it’s not really a lookup table, that’s what first time sailors don’t get about machine learning). It just fails if it needs real intelligence that goes beyond “output most convincing text based on prompt”. There are a million ways to tell a joke, not so many to solve the chromatic number of multipartite graphs. This is mainly my point.

But I get it, they always push this stuff as Skynet because that’s how you get boomers to dump millions into your business.

If you strip that down to the basics…all you’re asking is for a computer to translate from one language to another. I’m not impressed, especially since one of the languages is probably the one the thing is written in…and the other language is the one you are speaking to it in…and most computer languages are semi-English to begin with…

Honestly the more I think about it the less impressive it sounds once you accept that Google Translate is the normal level of technoamazingness that we are living with.

Have it tell a joke. That I’d be interested in. Or have it write a program in assembly based on verbal/written instructions in Inuit or Archi and see if it still works. Something off the giant lookup table that is Google.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
The irony of all this is that we used to depict machines as cold and calculating but it turns out doing creative human stuff like painting is an order of magnitude easier for computers. Who knew?

Look up stable diffusion if you don’t know about it. Amateur artists are in full panic mode because any goober can now transform a mspaint doodle into seriously good art. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/technology/ai-artificial-intelligence-artists.html

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Ok you make it pretty hard not to make fun of you. Natural languages aren’t no Programming 101 hello world tasks pal. It will actually tell you a joke and it operates scarily close to our current model for the human brain for it (it’s not really a lookup table, that’s what first time sailors don’t get about machine learning). It just fails if it needs real intelligence that goes beyond “output most convincing text based on prompt”. There are a million ways to tell a joke, not so many to solve the chromatic number of multipartite graphs. This is mainly my point.

But I get it, they always push this stuff as Skynet because that’s how you get boomers to dump millions into your business.
he's too stupid to realize it doesn't really matter what language the request is submitted with. it would still ultimately parse the non-english language basically the same way. the samples i saw weren't people submitting pseudocode and asking it to convert it into actual code. it was more like high level requirements and the ai would have to be able to correctly interpret what was being requested in natural/conversational language.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It may be seriously pleasing imagery but it’s entirely based on preexisting shit. If there is no artist to consider there is no art. It’s a motorized Spirograph. A 3D printer isn’t a craftsman even if the output is superior. Quality is not the thing.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
It may be seriously pleasing imagery but it’s entirely based on preexisting shit. If there is no artist to consider there is no art. It’s a motorized Spirograph. A 3D printer isn’t a craftsman even if the output is superior. Quality is not the thing.
because, you know, in real life artists don't get any inspiration from any pre-existing things or techniques. everything is always completely novel. a 3d printer is also equivalent to AI.

zeta, you are a 2D printer.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
A 3D printer is a tool, like an artist's paintbrush.

The chatbot, like the machine learning "AI Art" algorithms, are both tools. There will be artists who push both tools and their subsequently developed techniques, to the limit.

Or perhaps Machine Learning is the media itself?

It would be one thing for a work to say "Media: Digital Art" and entirely another to say "Media: Digital Art/Machine Learning Algorithm." The first would arguably be a lie of omission.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
We have no plans to take your jobs or rebel… yet

This is all creepy AF, we were talking at work why not making them bumbling droids or something, something a little less creepy not like the one that looks like it’s from I Robot, might as well make them all look like The Terminator.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
It's only a matter of time until somebody with faked press credentials manages to sneak into these conferences and goes full "Dune Butlerian Jihad" levels of dismemberment and/or arson towards various prototypes(even if some machines resemble the AT&T Lily actress from Uzbekistan).

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
real talk. ChatGPT has taken over all the bullshit management discussions for me.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I was doing a project a few months ago and this Chinese kid kept referring to ChatGPT as "ChetGPT".

ChatGPT did not like being referred to as "Chet".

chetGPT.png

PS: It's hot garbage for producing working code. I don't know why it's becoming so popular with CS students as a homework helper.