ChatGPT

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Jordan Peterson's views on ChatGPT.
It might become a lot more powerful, in only a year's time from now.

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I lost track of how many times that guy said the ai has access to a large corpus.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
90% of the work force are fucking hopeless. We would be better off if AI took over.

It was crazy when I realised this first real job after Uni, I sorta thought adults had their shit in order. Not at all, everyone is fucking winging it or just doing the bare minimum.

Why bother with degrees, all these ‘degree’ level jobs could be done by a moderately intelligent 15/16 year old. At least they’d be happy to be earning some money.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Blue collar workers have nothing to fear unless they're replaced by robots or cheap foreign workers.
I am so fucking blue collar, that the promotion to plant supervisor i just *officially* was offered by HR yesterday literally comes with a set of new button up work shirts instead of t-shirts and they are white instead of the standard blue the operators wear 🤣
God even i hate my own career path sometimes. Lolll

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Computers and automation were fine when they replaced blue collar workers. Now white collar workers are losing their minds because their cushy desk jobs producing nothing of tangible value are threatened.

Honestly, this is nothing but a positive societal development. Unless your job cannot be replaced by AI, "learn to code" is going to become "learn to work".

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It was crazy when I realised this first real job after Uni, I sorta thought adults had their shit in order. Not at all, everyone is fucking winging it or just doing the bare minimum.

Why bother with degrees, all these ‘degree’ level jobs could be done by a moderately intelligent 15/16 year old. At least they’d be happy to be earning some money.
Hah I wish I could have “winged it” from day one in my career.

Anyway I hate this popular science shit about AI and if you think this is going to replace any kind of job that requires minimum levels of intelligence and information persistence, yeah you’re dumb. Be very afraid if your job consists of doing text collages that sound kinda right but don’t really work or make sense though.
Spoiler:
aka a junior developer :keke:

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Computers and automation were fine when they replaced blue collar workers. Now white collar workers are losing their minds because their cushy desk jobs producing nothing of tangible value are threatened.

Honestly, this is nothing but a positive societal development. Unless your job cannot be replaced by AI, "learn to code" is going to become "learn to work".
once AI competes with you on ebay and flip video game stuff better than you...you'll change your tune.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I recall a cool computer music documentary I saw where a composer was using very early computers to create music automatically with no user input. I want to say it was the early 60’s - I guess what is old is new again?

I can see some utility in typing to ChatGPT and telling it what you want it to do and then outputting it through some connected hardware.

“ChatGPT please create three LFOs at random frequencies limited to between 10-100hz on outputs 1-3.”

“Create a Trigger on output 4 that occurs every fourth division of the master clock”

“On Oscillator one create an arpeggios that ascends and descends through the following notes at the following BPM”

Etc.

Would be neat to have a control type module that you interfaced with in a conversational manner.

Conversational patching?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I recall a cool computer music documentary I saw where a composer was using very early computers to create music automatically with no user input. I want to say it was the early 60’s - I guess what is old is new again?

I can see some utility in typing to ChatGPT and telling it what you want it to do and then outputting it through some connected hardware.

“ChatGPT please create three LFOs at random frequencies limited to between 10-100hz on outputs 1-3.”

“Create a Trigger on output 4 that occurs every fourth division of the master clock”

“On Oscillator one create an arpeggios that ascends and descends through the following notes at the following BPM”

Etc.

Would be neat to have a control type module that you interfaced with in a conversational manner.

Conversational patching?
I think you are referring to Tristram Cary and his concerts involving automated compositions for a computer which he showed at various occasions. After the program was started, the computer made all the decisions in which direction the music will go for itself, it was an early form of AI used for composition. There's a great documentation about it on YT called What The Future Sounded Like, in it you can also see one of Cary's automated concerts. Good stuff, recommended.

There already are tons of programs/plugins for creating random stuff, many modern synths also have a feature like that. However, a voice-controlled semi-intelligent helper as you mention might be quite nice, dunno if musicians wanna work that way, tho. I certainly wouldn't, given that my most modern piece of computer equipment in my studio is a Atari Mega ST 2. :) Okay, I also have an old Mac Mini but only for audio recording with Reaper.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Maybe the next time a global issue comes up that we're inevitably all going to fall out over, we could ask chatgpt to shit out the two extremes and a moderate view, click our likes and all move on in 3 posts.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think you are referring to Tristram Cary and his concerts involving automated compositions for a computer which he showed at various occasions. After the program was started, the computer made all the decisions in which direction the music will go for itself, it was an early form of AI used for composition. There's a great documentation about it on YT called What The Future Sounded Like, in it you can also see one of Cary's automated concerts. Good stuff, recommended.

There already are tons of programs/plugins for creating random stuff, many modern synths also have a feature like that. However, a voice-controlled semi-intelligent helper as you mention might be quite nice, dunno if musicians wanna work that way, tho. I certainly wouldn't, given that my most modern piece of computer equipment in my studio is a Atari Mega ST 2. :) Okay, I also have an old Mac Mini but only for audio recording with Reaper.

Yes, that’s the documentary! Absolutely love it.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
This it is isane, how much shit gets decided by people who have absolutely no clue what they are doing. The business world is so weird in that regard.