CIA watching you through your TV

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Slightly old news now, but just picking up on the recent wikileaks release about the CIA's latest eavesdropping attempts,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39210628

I had a thought.

Towards the end of the story there is a call for the US government to defends it's actions, I think I disagree.

For me, the arms race between those keeping things secure and governments wishing to snoop needs to be allowed to continue. I want the government to be able to pry on people that pose a threat, but I want it to be difficult to do so.

If someone wants to set off a dirty bomb in the middle of a football stadium then I want them to be able to find this out in advance. But I don't want them to be watching me while I pick my nose and jerk off to baywatch nights.

Any kind of formal agreement on this issue is never going to work, the government will always cheat. So this is where we are, an informal arms race to keep them out, and a way in if given enough resources, so only when it's deemed important.

I haven't really asked a question, but feel free to share any thoughts.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah they watch through your laptop's camera as well. I read an article a few weeks ago about Zuckerberg and some other billionaires put tape on their computer's camera all the time to obfuscate the image.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Yeah they watch through your laptop's camera as well. I read an article a few weeks ago about Zuckerberg and some other billionaires put tape on their computer's camera all the time to obfuscate the image.

One of the better Black Mirror episodes of the third series covers something along these lines - Shut Up and Dance. Well worth a download.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
one time i had like a 20 minute argument with this stupid fucker at my old job who insisted that the government can literally use your TV screen to look back at you as if they were watching TV too, like some star trek bullshit where the screen literally doubles as a camera. he argued with me after i tried to reassure him that as long as there's no device on his television technologically capable of recording video, then its impossible for him to be watched, and he got angry with me and started screaming about how they can shoot and kill us with a satellite laser.

StevenK

10 Year Member
one time i had like a 20 minute argument with this stupid fucker at my old job who insisted that the government can literally use your TV screen to look back at you as if they were watching TV too, like some star trek bullshit where the screen literally doubles as a camera. he argued with me after i tried to reassure him that as long as there's no device on his television technologically capable of recording video, then its impossible for him to be watched, and he got angry with me and started screaming about how they can shoot and kill us with a satellite laser.

Did he have bad hair and a reality TV show?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Did he have bad hair and a reality TV show?

he was 50 years old and he had a ponytail and a yellow Chevy truck with flame decals on the side and i tried to get him fired more than once

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
If you don't want someone seeing it, don't put it on a digital device.

Follow that rule and you'll be fine.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Slightly old news now, but just picking up on the recent wikileaks release about the CIA's latest eavesdropping attempts,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39210628

I had a thought.

Towards the end of the story there is a call for the US government to defends it's actions, I think I disagree.

For me, the arms race between those keeping things secure and governments wishing to snoop needs to be allowed to continue. I want the government to be able to pry on people that pose a threat, but I want it to be difficult to do so.

If someone wants to set off a dirty bomb in the middle of a football stadium then I want them to be able to find this out in advance. But I don't want them to be watching me while I pick my nose and jerk off to baywatch nights.

Any kind of formal agreement on this issue is never going to work, the government will always cheat. So this is where we are, an informal arms race to keep them out, and a way in if given enough resources, so only when it's deemed important.

I haven't really asked a question, but feel free to share any thoughts.

Top Secret has become the most abused power granted to the federal government. But they keep it secret because they know people wouldn't like it if they found out. They're finding out now, although I would say this shouldn't be surprising given the extent of data programs that have become known since Snowden.

I guess the question becomes, how much bullshit do people put up with before demanding legitimate change? Or just keep the Galactica off the network.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It's really time to dismantle the CIA and the state's other brown people killing apparatuses. Defund the leviathan that is our standing army.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Best commentary out of this whole CIA thing:
"I didn稚 know, honestly, that I could be watched from my television, even though it痴 off," McCain said. "That痴 a little scary when you think about it: Particularly given my behavior patterns. Throwing things at the set, yelling and screaming: 'It痴 a lie!'"

Pretty funny that McCain used that as an opportunity to give Trump shit. lol.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/john-mccain-wikileaks-cia-intelligence-235836

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's really time to dismantle the CIA and the state's other brown people killing apparatuses. Defund the leviathan that is our standing army.

I agree with the first, disagree with the second. The department of homeland security should go back to hell where it came from though. Repeal the Homeland Security and Patriot/Freedom Acts.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
All under the guise of protecting your freedom, they will remove all your freedom.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
All under the guise of protecting your freedom, they will remove all your freedom.

Adolf Hitler said:
“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
My laptops don't even have webcams.

What kind of TVs are capable of being tapped? Would be highly ironic if it's the glorious HDTV everyone has been tricked into owning. CRTs rule.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I have black tape over the camera on my laptop.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I have black tape over the camera on my laptop.

Seriously? And I don't mean that incredulously, I'm just wondering if this is something people are genuinely thinking about. Maybe I'm too trusting.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
the CIA knows where to find me on webcam weekly

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think my TV is listening, but my cable probably is... the Comcast smart remote has a mic in it.

I put a band-aid on my laptop's webcam/mic the day I bought it.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
My biggest complaint about the CIA/NSA snooping around in our electronics is that they do not offer to tell us what our passwords are when we forget them.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My biggest complaint about the CIA/NSA snooping around in our electronics is that they do not offer to tell us what our passwords are when we forget them.

They should make a phone app. "Ok, CIA... what's my password for neo-geo.com?"

I often ask mine "Show me something that makes it worth the money I'm paying you."

Ahahaha, no shit! I basically pay to have a fucking box sitting next to my TV. I hardly watch anything.

Last edited: