Classic Game Room HD-Pulstar NGCD Review

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Mark does a lot of good reviews and has done so for quite awhile, this being no exception.

I have to admit his typical voice over only game review style (for most of his reviews now) has worn a bit thin on me. He stresses high quantity over high quality just a bit too much methinks. That isn't to say his videos aren't good, just that they could be better and he is more than capable.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
i think he failed to mention how great the soundtrack is.

Maybe I'm off my hinges, but I believe you. I take whatever I said about this video being any good back. This guy is the worst thing to ever happen to Youtube review videos! Total mockery to the system. He even had the nerve to paste that royalty free elevator music over the intro of stage 2, one of the most elegant musical pieces to ever grace gaming!!!

GArRRRRR!

Someone email him and tell him to just shut it down, shut it all down. There is no use any more. The honeymoon is over. You don't make a video about Pulstar without even so much as a passing mention of how good the soundtrack is.

Maybe he can redeem himself through a Rot style dance video. Maybe. I don't know, I just don't know.

*stomps off*

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I am bored alot so classic game room kicks ass. It's always nice to sign onto you tube and see a new review EVERY day :) there are better reviewers out there... but nobody as hard working IMO

this specific review was entertaining.. never tried the neo cd version of pulstar but it looks real nice and accurate to me :)

Neist

n00b
The only thing I can say about Classic Game Room is that he is very rarely ever negative. This can both be refreshing and quite annoying.

His upbeat blabbering didn't bother me so much in this review though. It was entertaining, if nothing else.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Ok review, but at the end he mentions Ghost Pilots as being a another great NeoGeo shooter. LOL!!

Also he mentions the Saturn and Genesis as great shooter systems, but forgets the PC-Engine..... :(

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Ok review, but at the end he mentions Ghost Pilots as being a another great NeoGeo shooter. LOL!!

Also he mentions the Saturn and Genesis as great shooter systems, but forgets the PC-Engine..... :(

Ghost Pilots is a great shooter! :loco: I like it a lot anyway :)

And Yes the PC engine was the system for shooters back in the day.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Actually "Thunder Force clone" doesn't even make sense really. Thunder Force 1 was 100% top-down view. Thunder Force 2 was 50% top-down, 50% side-scrolling. It wasn't until TF3 that the "TF style" he's referring to really existed.

Fett

Camel Slug
I wish he would have mentioned the MVS version. No loading time, better graphics, and cheaper.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I wish he would have mentioned the MVS version. No loading time, better graphics, and cheaper.

Better graphics? Is Pulstar CD missing animation frames or something? I have the homecart myself, but I always thought the CD version had all the animation in tact...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ive never heard anything about Pulstar missing any animations at all? Plus the load times arent bad either. Shooters are what the CD system excels on load wise

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
They may all look identical but clearly the AES version has the best graphics of them all. Clearly. :loco:

Honestly, I'm inclined to say the CD version actually is the best version of this game. Better music, extra animations between levels, and a quick stage select so a decent player can bypass levels 1 & 2. If there are cut animations or missing sprites I never noticed them.

Grandmaster

Kula's Candy
also, you can turn the visual cutscenes off between stages to speed it up anyways. thats where he shot the video for showing the load times from. and not mentioning the soundtrack is a shame because its part of what makes Pulstar a great game.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Don't all versions of Pulstar have that Stage Select? I have the AES cart and a stock JP Bios. Game always gives me a menu that let's me start on Stage 4. Even without a memory card inserted.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I've been watching Mark do CGR for a long time now. I will say his reviews are become more of a chore to watch. Although a lot of you wandering why he didn't do specific things need to realize he doesn't put a whole lot of time into each review.

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
I've been watching Mark do CGR for a long time now. I will say his reviews are become more of a chore to watch. Although a lot of you wandering why he didn't do specific things need to realize he doesn't put a whole lot of time into each review.

Seconded, just... enough effort to get by. :rolleyes: He likes to crank them out per se, but, not bad, not bad!

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Are you kidding!? I love the reviews from CLASSIC GAME ROOM.

Granted, his voice-over videos may not have a lot of bells and whistles. But, why bother having a lot of bells and whistles at all? The meat-and-potato style of reviewing is refreshingly plain and simple. Plus, his voice reminds me of Harold Ramis from Ghostbusters. "Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

P.S. He did metion the music in Pulstar, even if only in passing. "This music reminds me of Darius Gaiden on the [Sega] Saturn, quite a bit." Oh, and he's also reviewed Ghost Pilots. Check it out, too. :cool: