CMV1B consolized MVS on Indiegogo

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've seen a few people post them on Facebook groups. Look decent but a bit top heavy lol

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
This looks pretty neat. I wonder if they change caps and do any kind of maintenance on the boards they use.

tangemo

New Challenger
Yea this looks interesting when comparing it to the recent Open MVS. Different MVS boards being used but this is cheaper for the whole kit (at least in the early bird specials). I like that it's already stereo and maybe the aftermarket arcade sticks will be cool? They gotta hit those stretch goals before we see that tho.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I would like to say the following.

EVERY Indiegogo campaign I've supported, I got burned on.

Fuck Indiegogo.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Do we really need for it to be that small? I mean, MV1C are OK sized for my liking.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Do we really need for it to be that small? I mean, MV1C are OK sized for my liking.

I know what you mean, small is good but when the cartridges are so massive it would make sense for the 'console' to have a larger footprint as it does look top heavy.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I'd rather support Avram and his Open MVS. He's a good dude.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Well the design is similar sure, but it's not like anybody can claim to have invented the idea of making a home arcade system, Superguns have been around since the early 90s.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If you think 200 Euro for a decades old board in a (stupidly shaped) box is a good deal then...I guess it must be.

What are you paying for? If you itemize it, it’s not too impressive. Kickstarting something SNK already built in their factory 25 years ago with a case (that looks like it’s designed to fall forward 10 times a day and fuck up carts) with a $10 SCART cable and a $3 power supply in the box...seems not great. I would give up on “the look” and concentrate on quality work, known builders, etc. You can build any MVS into something like this for $50-60 (minus the now nearly useless composite encoder...) I had similar criticisms with the Open MVS (bad name, 3D printing) but much more here. With the Open MVS guy you’ll get your CMVS or a refund. This stupid thing might never come out or take years or end up turned into a PC running MAME (a better choice?) before it ever gets released. If it does come out and there are any issues it will have sold more units than they can fix, Open MVS guy will never sell 50 most likely, he’ll be able to answer his email.

Don’t fall for...a case. It outputs RGB and stereo sound! Yeah, like literally every MVS.

And they are using jacked branding all over the place. And they are an airsoft company, I guess (a trash scene, utter trash). I’m super unimpressed.

“Durable ABS” is code for “We got nothin’.”

Last edited:

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
I agree the prototype looks a bit rough. But as they already mass produce plastic items I'm assuming the finished product will look better, and as the majority of consolized MVS systems on the market look something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm interested in anything that looks better :) Price wise, the CBOX is double the price and again looks homemade, if slightly slicker than the above. I'm not contesting that the sum of the parts is considerably less than 200 euros, but that goes for most things you can buy, an iPhone doesn't cost $1000 to make.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I agree the prototype looks a bit rough. But as they already mass produce plastic items I'm assuming the finished product will look better, and as the majority of consolized MVS systems on the market look something like this:

View attachment 59085

I'm interested in anything that looks better :) Price wise, the CBOX is double the price and again looks homemade, if slightly slicker than the above. I'm not contesting that the sum of the parts is considerably less than 200 euros, but that goes for most things you can buy, an iPhone doesn't cost $1000 to make.

Why do you equate “home made” with “bad”. My MVS is made by me and it blows the doors off of any of this goofy stuff. “Mass produced like a Barbie doll” is not the definition of quality.

I don’t think think product looks bad, I think it is bad. Having a silly tippy tower of a Neo Geo isn’t going to be less of a problem of they learn to kern their text properly. It’s still going to be “Power Wave! [CLUNK!]. “Dammit, I TOLD you not to pull on the controller!” That stuff has to not be in the design in the first place.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Something being tall doesn't automatically mean it's going to be unstable, look at a floor lamp. As long as the base (in this case console) weighs more than the cartridge, it should be no less stable than any other games console. And I'm not just concerned about things that look bad, I've seen plenty of home made or modded consoles with terrible soldering or poor quality parts, such as the CBOX. I don't know that this will be any better quality yet, but I'm not going to automatically assume it is worse. As it's impossible to 3D print something that looks as nice as injection molded plastic, at the very least I could buy one of these and tidy up any bad soldering or buy a better PSU etc.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
It's also worth mentioning that MVS (and for that matter AES) cartridges are huge, so unless a NEO GEO console is 6 feet square it's never going to look as elegant as a SNES or Genesis. The AES console with a cartridge in it looks almost as silly as this thing.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Do you understand design? Not visually, but functionally? I’m not saying it “looks” goofy, I’m saying it IS goofy to the core. The AES had a much larger footprint than this, as in, it cannot fall forward. It’s like a capital “L” and this is a capital “I”. “Look”-ing better isn’t going to fix anything.

To put it another way, don’t design a phone made out of glass and try to develop super glass or a crazy case...just don’t make it out of glass! Do people get boners from putting their electronics at risk or something?

This makes Neo “look” like mass market disposable trash but I’m more baffled by the practical aspects.

...wait, are you just going to put a multicart in it? I didn’t think about that. In that case, go ahead, it’s a perfect product. There are already more of those POS than any real cart, it will be no loss. :)

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Yes, as an aerosopace engineer I understand design just fine, however you have demonstrated you either haven't read my posts or don't understand physics. Being tall does not necessarily mean it will fall over. Look out of your window, there are plenty of examples.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
I also just checked the dimensions on the indiegogo page. This MVS unit is 12.2cm x 24.2cm. An MVS cart is 14.5 x 18.5cm. So an MVS cart does not have a significantly larger surface area than this console.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I also just checked the dimensions on the indiegogo page. This MVS unit is 12.2cm x 24.2cm. An MVS cart is 14.5 x 18.5cm. So an MVS cart does not have a significantly larger surface area than this console.

I’d agree, but I’m not sure why you brought it up...

An AES, a correctly designed system holding the same size and weight of cart is 32cm× 23cm and mounts the cart lower because the PCB isn’t stacked. Every MVS in period was screwed down. Tipping over is a 21st century innovation in Neo Geo technology. :)

Tall things can be stable, sure, with anchors or foundations, or by having a extremely low center of gravity, but in every case they are less stable than if they weren’t tall, just as an phone made of the most well developed glass is still massively more brittle than one made of plastic or alloys, just as basements are more stable than the buildings built on top of them. Why do you bring this up? We know everything that’s inside of this. We know there isn’t some clever way to keep it up, they just don’t care. We know the relative density of the machine is about the same from top to bottom. If they put 5mm thick lead base in it then that would work, but they didn’t. It’s shape is indicative of its true stability, I see no reason to assume different.

When a large plane crashes it just kills everyone. They lawyer up, burry what’s left and pay out to the families of the victims. It’s an established system. I’m the dipshit who thinks with care everyone can live but safe planes are impossible so...maybe that’s the disconnect here. Your standards for “durable” aren’t the same as mine. I treat my carts like a Gutenberg Bible because...they die! They are tough but they are complicated. If you treat Geo stuff like Super Nintendo stuff you will have failures and they will be expensive to fix. I’m not rich so that bothers me. Not everyone is like me.

I made my MVS to be as close to totally indestructible as possible. You can’t see or touch any SNK parts from the outside, only DB15s and industrial grade buttons. It’s built into a cart rated for 1/3 of a ton and easily supports it’s own CRT and a 2-slot. It’s lab grade SNK, vastly tougher than anything in-period as it was built mostly from reclaimed industrial parts originally costing $1000+ while outputting not only RGB but composite, s-video, component and 480p over HDMI because when you have space you can easily fit all that in.

This vertical thing here on the other hand...is a string bikini, a novelty keychain...

Last edited:

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Don't worry, I see where you are coming from. It does look unstable in the photos on their website. But the unit is almost exactly the same dimensions (in fact slightly larger) than your average external hard drive. I have three on my desk, and they are not going to fall over even with something a foot long attached to the top of them. Of course I don't own one of these, but I'd imagine they have considered and tested stability.

I also get what you are saying about your personal preferences and ability. I am also perfectly capable of making a crude consolized MVS, I have rewired JAMMA cabinets and modded most of my consoles myself. However what I, and the majority of people, are not capable of is injection molding a nice looking case. 3D printing just looks shit, as my example above shows. And I don't think it's unreasonable to want something that functions well AND looks good. As above, even if everything apart from the shell is junk, I can sort out all of that myself. But I cannot manufacture a shell at home. That's all.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks like a toaster.

tostador-una-ranura-larga-blanco-900w-800x800.jpg

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
It's also worth mentioning that MVS (and for that matter AES) cartridges are huge, so unless a NEO GEO console is 6 feet square it's never going to look as elegant as a SNES or Genesis. The AES console with a cartridge in it looks almost as silly as this thing.

The AES looks pretty elegant, even with the giant carts. And so does the Omega, I love the way it looks.