Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
wow. how did this show break the netflix curse?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No sign of Mike Barnes in the trailer.

The actor has said he is willing to return, so either they're saving him for season 5 or they want him to be a surprise in season 4.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What a shit albeit kind of enjoyable series. Too California soapy for my taste. Anything which is filmed in and around the vicinity of Holywood no matter how raw has that twang to it, that obnoxious fake sunyness. Season one was fun, the rest is just... blah

(Edit: sorry for having little regard to the spirit of the thread, it is rude of me I will concede)

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Trailer looks like it'll be fun, but I'm starting to wonder how much they can stretch the plot and show concept out until it jumps the shark.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Trailer looks like it'll be fun, but I'm starting to wonder how much they can stretch the plot and show concept out until it jumps the shark.
With one or two more seasons they'll run out of movies to mine.

I think Hilary Swank can add a lot to the show if they can manage to get her.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I just hope they'll be brave enough to put all of the past movies behind and focus on completely doing their own thing if they keep the show going past season 5.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I just hope they'll be brave enough to put all of the past movies behind and focus on completely doing their own thing if they keep the show going past season 5.
To me the show at its worst is still better than any of the movies, so as long as it doesn't drop off a cliff I'm fine.

1. Cobra Kai S1
2. Cobra Kai S3
3. Cobra Kai S2
4. The Karate Kid
5. The Karate Kid Part II
6. The Next Karate Kid
7. The Karate Kid Part III

I thought S3 made Part II a better movie in retrospect. If S4 can make me like Part III more, I'll consider that a big accomplishment because Part III sucks. Terry Silver is a hilarious villain but the movie itself is a chore to watch.

Fygee

20 Year Member
IMO TKK Part II is still my favorite, otherwise I agree with the order there.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
IMO TKK Part II is still my favorite, otherwise I agree with the order there.
I think I prefer the one student dynamic in the first half of season 1, but the darker tone of season 2 and that ending was intense

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Halfway through season 4. I still don't know if I actually like this show much at all or just watching it to feel like I've not missed out on the storyline set forth by the movies.

In general the kids are acting decently enough. But the adults in the show? Holy shit is the acting crap. Macchio & Zabka are esp trash. Are they rly that bad at acting, or is it written like that and they're just doing it as directed? Because Henggeler is doing ok with what she's been given...

I didn't go through and re-watch all of it before starting S4. But off the top of my head I'm not recalling some of the atrocious cheap sets as I've seen so far on occasion in S4. The "grocery store" and "corner store" sets look so unrealistic it's like they're straight off one of those Disney/Nickelodeon kids comedy shows that have a $50 budget per ep. Like holy shit I know Cobra Kai is cheesy and all that. But for a show that's a 4K "big Netflix show" to have such trash as a set?... SMH

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The kid playing Kenny, Dallas Young, has a very bright future. The way they introduced him was great. An interesting character he portrays.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Indeed. I'm about haflway through ep 9 right now but I'd say he's been one of the best things about Season 4 (so far at least).

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
6 episodes in. This is probably the dumbest show I like. Taking a bunch of characters with varying degrees of unlikeability and setting up their eventual ass kickings is a winning formula.

Their take on karate in the San Fernando Valley kind of reminds me of the Speed Racer movie, which is set in some alternate universe where the whole world actually gives a shit about racing.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Spoiler:

So it seems clear that Terry Silver is going to call Mike Barnes for next season. Probably pushes anything to do with Next Karate Kid into season 6.

Daniel and Chozen teaming up.

Maybe Kreese meets Dutch in jail?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Characters that still haven't showed up
Spoiler:

First and second films:
Dutch (last member of the OG Cobra Kai gang; said to be in jail is season 2)
Freddie Fernandez (Daniel's neighbor; they apparently go to train in his freezer in season 3 but he doesn't appear)
The Referee from the All Valleys

Third film:
Mike Barnes (Daniel's rival)
Jessica Andrews (Daniel's would-be love interest that was rewritten to platonic friend)
Snake (Terry Silver's son and incompetent henchman)

Fourth film:
Julie Pierce
Louisa Pierce (Julie's grandmother, who is shockingly still alive and was still acting in 2020 at age 88)
Ned Randall (Julie's rival)
Eric McGowen (Julie's love interest)
Colonel Dugan (Julie's Kreese)

That's pretty much all I can think of. Everyone else was either too insignificant to get a name or were played by an actor who is now deceased.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Overall I'd say

S1 > S4 > S3 > S2 > Movie 1 > Movie 2 > Movie 4 > Movie 3

S4 better than S3 and S2? I dunno buddy, I am 4 episodes into S4 and I am just not getting into it as much as I thought I would. Hopefully things pick up. Will try and finish in the next couple of days.