Cobra Kai: Anyone watching?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Sony is rebooting the film series again, and again they're making a movie about Kung Fu and calling it Karate Kid.

This time a Chinese kid moves to Brooklyn and teaches a grown man Kung Fu for some reason.
These movie producers must be the same people that go to a Japanese restaurant and ask for chow mein.

Japan and China are different in almost every way except for the slanted eyes and area of the world they reside it. But don't tell them that.

Anyways, I'm both excited and reluctant for season 5. Cool that they're bringing in the grandaughter of Kreese and Silver's sensei, but I feel like the show is dangerously close to jumping the shark. The plot contrivances started getting ridiculous in season 4, even by the show's already silly but fun standards, to the point where it's hard to take seriously at all.

The show needs to cut bait with the member-berries and come up with some fresh plots and new characters that are more grounded. Also, ditch the whole high school thing. It's been 5 years. Unless they're all being held back for crap grades or...I dunno...terrible violence on school grounds, it's time to move on.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think this season will wrap up the Karate Kid Part 3 stuff and next season will tie into Next Karate Kid for sure, but after that there's no more source material to pull from anyway. They've already explicitly stated multiple times that the Jackie Chan movie is not set in their world.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think the character that will die will be the big boobed crazy girl that tried to kill Daniel’s daughter.

Either that or Johnny’s son.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I also think it’s interesting that i’ve watched 4 seasons of this show and I can’t remember any of the kids names except for Hawk.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Watched the first few episodes of the new season. Pretty good stuff so far, some surprises
Spoiler:

Mike Barnes face turn was unexpected
Terry Silver confirms he has no children of his own. Significant because most people assumed Snake from KK Part 3 was his son
Miguel's dad is a shithead as expected
No scenes with Kreese yet
Chozen is a fucking badass

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’ve seen the first two, really liking Chozen’s arch so far.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Finished off the season
Spoiler:

Nobody died like they teased. Several fakeouts (Kreese, Chozen especially)
No sign or mention of Julie Pierce
Daniel's wife is the cousin of Jessica Andrews, the female lead of Part III
Seems like Chozen is still the best fighter overall. Silver beat him but it was due to Chozen being super drunk and distracted momentarily
Johnny had a really good final fight scene
Daniel finally got to beat down Silver
Robby and Miguel drama, Sam and Tory drama finally seems buried
Seems like next season will be about the world tournament?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Also, Macchio is officially the worst actor on this show. Even the kids who started out really rough (Robby especially) have surpassed him with this season.

He's also the worst character on this show.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I don’t think I enjoyed this season. Felt like a chore to watch...main reason I kept going was to see who was going to die...

:eye::eye:

I was pleased to see Kreese’s girlfriend back tho...so that was good.

:eye::eye:

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Watched the first 2 episodes of season 5. I really don't want to watch the rest. It feels like a bad 90's tv show.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched the first 2 episodes of season 5. I really don't want to watch the rest. It feels like a bad 90's tv show.
Yeah, it's transformed from a fun self aware homage into a terrible mid 90s YA soap opera with completely over the top villains. It's just too much now.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They completely wrapped up all the soap opera shit this season. It was the least soapy season.

Johnny and Daniel stayed friends the whole time, Miguel and Robby are friends now, Sam and Tory don't hate each other anymore, all the romantic pairings are resolved. You guys are nuts.

It was always going to be over the top once Terry Silver got involved. He's an 80s villain made entirely out of cocaine.

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
That banquet beer placement though, how many people buying coors banquets now that they watched cobra kai?

BTW it is good beer regardless

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I also think there is a small possibility Kreese could further corrupt Miguel, take over Cobra Kai, and Johnny might actually join up with LaRusso and mend his relationship with his son. I think that is a bit far fetched but possible. Some of the dialogue at the end of the final season led me to believe this.

From post 1. Turns out it was pretty predictable stuff eh?

Still entertaining / bubblegum TV though :)

famicommander

15 Year Member
The show has been renewed for a sixth and final season. The showrunners say they hope to continue the Miyagiverse with future projects/spin offs, but this will be the last year of Cobra Kai itself. They say it is "coming soon" but no specific date.

Hopefully they finally got Hilary Swank.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
makes sense. the kids are all growing up.
time for "Karate Kid Goes to College"

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I've enjoyed it for the cartoony trash tv it was, but I'm glad they have the sense to end it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
makes sense. the kids are all growing up.

Yeah, Anthony has gone from looking 8 years old to halfway through his senior school years in a canon 2 years.

The older kids are going to look like a bunch of ‘tards aged 25 years old but still in highschool.