"Collectors Are Stripping Japan痴 Rare-Game Paradise Bare" - Wired

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/akihabara-4/?

Visitors to Akihabara, Tokyo痴 famed home of nerd culture, looking to mine the district痴 renowned cache of mint-condition classic videogames might be disappointed. As game collecting continues its meteoric rise in popularity around the world, Akihabara is being scoured clean, and what痴 left commands astronomical prices.

A visit to the delightfully named Super Potato (mascot: a potato with a face), one of the district痴 most well-stocked and delightfully decorated classic game emporiums, turned up many empty shelves. In particular, the growing popularity of the TurboGrafx-16, known in Japan as the PC Engine, has virtually cleared out that section of the store.
More at the link, but I guess this was bound to happen one day..

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
To be honest I'm surprised it took this long. It's disappointing for the collector side of me, but the gamer side says screw it, I've got Everdrives.

Looks like prices are going to get even higher before they fall.

The article should really be called, Re-sellers are stripping Japan bare...

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just read Akihabara and Super Potato and laughed it off. What the fuck are you going to buy there that isn't overpriced as fuck?

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
I just read Akihabara and Super Potato and laughed it off. What the fuck are you going to buy there that isn't overpriced as fuck?

That's besides the point. The problem is that there isn't anything to overprice. When I was there in May it was barren - just like the first pic.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That's besides the point. The problem is that there isn't anything to overprice. When I was there in May it was barren - just like the first pic.

Don't blame Gaijins, blame people like Yamatoku and Hit Japan who rape these stores and then sell on eBay. Funny they don't mention that.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Hit Japan really got expensive over the last 2 years. I feel like a long time ago, they were a bit of a go-to of mine. Maybe the prices were just at market value or slightly more, but not as bad as today. Either that or I was just more ignorant to how much I was paying years ago :lolz:

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
It's a shame this is happening. Re-sellers is right. Most of these games will never be played by people that appreciate them.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The resellers wouldn't have a market if collectards didn't outnumber them.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Everybody wants a giant wall of games to show off these days.
Lately I've been seeing rare US games being imported by rich middle eastern countries. Not sure if this is a new thing or not but I see people on instagram and stuff with like boxed NES games and all rare stuff.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
This is great news. Keep driving up those prices.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You want to know who's really to blame for this?

Spoiler:
vjdmUA7.gif

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
You want to know who's really to blame for this?

ac-oldman.jpg

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I'm certainly not to blame.
I rarely sell anything back unless I have more than 2 of them.

I don't know WHY, it's not like I fucking play them anymore.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member

I was just there three weeks ago. Fucking tumbleweeds. Not even a single Famicom no matter the price.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Catch a train to Chiba, and stock up before its toooooo laaaaaaaate.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
"Game nerds, who own hundreds of games themselves, complain about how many games others are buying."

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
"Game nerds, who own hundreds of games themselves, complain about how many games others are buying."

That was my same thought. I'm glad the games I've wanted I picked up years ago before people got all fucking stupid.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That was my same thought. I'm glad the games I've wanted I picked up years ago before people got all fucking stupid.

Same here. Most of the Stuff I wanted I purchased years ago before the boom. I'm still kicking myself for selling some CPS2, Saturn, Aes stuff. Trying to get a few things back now but it's much harder.

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
This has been a process going on for years. But there are other places to look than Superpotato.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
I actually discussed this topic with Japanese retro gamers and collectors on Twitter and most of them told me that the Japanese hoarders themselves are also to blame.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Our parents and grandparents raided stores of rare baseball cards for profit. When we were growing up, it was Star Wars and comics. Now it's video games.

It's economics. People are going to hunt and raid stuff for profit in any collectible market. It sucks ass for everyone else trying to find stuff they love and either pay collector prices or having to hunt months (or years) to find a bargain.