Commodore 64 love

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
AFAIK, NIBs are some sort of disk image but VICE doesn't support it at the moment.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Is there a way to get VICE to load .NIB's? Converting them in dosbox is becoming a pain. I'd even settle for a converter that works in x64 windows at this point.

You're better off just d/l'ing D64 files and playing those. You can find individual games on http://www.c64.com .

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My fave place to go to for C64 and Amiga ROM images is http://www.planetemu.net/ . It's French but there's no prob finding your way around it and it has all the good stuff for various micros, even lesser-known ones.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Has anyone played Captured on C64? That game seemed impossible to beat. I never actually found out how to do it, but there must be a way. You just finish all of the control boxes (the deflection mini-game) and then there's nothing else to do.
I like some of the music on C64. Some bands even use the C64 sound to make their music. Wizball was another game I was into.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Here's a longplay vid of Captured, maybe this could help you:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Don't even bother, I'd rather kill myself than load another tape.

There are some multiload games that take a long-ass time to load but that's what speedloaders (cartridge-based or builtin) are for.

If you want to go for original games, there's no way around a C2N because quite a few of them were tape-only or the disc versions came out in very small numbers and thus are hard to find and comparatively expensive.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I got that unit c-tv unit and ran through the game real quick, yeah I wouldn't think they think they aged well but like everybody's saying this system has epic music.

I wish there was more cartridge based games as well.

I think I'm going to get a different type, I'm looking at the mcc-216 right now. The parts and time to mod that other unit would cost the same as this one and it comes like how I want it. Plus I want to start learning how to program fpga.

Looking at these Amiga games...that's were it's at. I wish my folks would've held out a few more years and got an Amiga instead,

Another machine that looks good was the Amistrad it has some decent looking games for it as well.. more 8bit though.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
One of my friends had an Armstrad, it was marketed by Schneider (local electronics manufacturer) and called Schneider CPC over here. It was a nice machine that had a faster CPU, more colours, builtin tape or disk drive and a much better BASIC and assembler/machine code implementation than the C64 (and was even cheaper) but sadly it came without hardware support for scrolling and sprites which made it difficult for game developers to use its otherwise good features to the fullest. While static pictures or scenes with not a lot of animation looked better on Armstrad than on C64 due to its larger colour palette (27 on the Armstrad, 16 on the Commie), scrolling of moving objects usually was quite jerky which often had an impact on gameplay.

However, it also had a number of decent games that I really loved to play with my buddy. One of them was Bomb Jack, the Armstrad version was closer to the arcade original than the crappy C64 conv and also much faster.

Later on Armstrad released updated versions of the CPC with hardware scrolling and sprites, more colours and extra RAM but they came too late to be successful. These machines shared the fate of the C128 which also went the way of the Dodo not too long after its release. The new Armstrad versions and the C128 were meant to prolong the live of the 8bit home computer scene but came out only a year or two before Atari and Commodore also released the first 16bit micros so most customers went for the latter and only very few software houses could be bothered to create new games and apps for extended 8bit computers that were more or less doomed right from the start.

Anyone remember the Sinclair QL? I was fascinated by it when it came out but thankfully I didn't buy one (it was unaffordable for me anyway). It was the machine that helped to ruin Sinclair, later on they got sold to Armstrad and that was that...

...and there were even more obscure micro computers back in the day like the BBC Micro by Acorn, Bull Micral 30, Tandy Altair, Matell's Aquarius, Dragon 32, Jupiter ACE, Sinclair ZX-80/81, the quite horrible Oric-1, Microbee, Coleco Adam, etc. Some of them were quite successful, hobbyists were looking for an affordable home computer since the late 70s and jumped on every opportunity they got. Many of these micros came in kit form which helped to keep prices at a minimum.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
I loved kikstart and kikstart II. I didn't have my C128D very long before I managed to grab A500.

I btw just few weeks ago got C128DCR and monitor and turned RPi and Gertduino to floppy emulator. Unfortunately the Uno2iec project does not support many features and when I started to implement them, it was too much work and also not enough memory in the microcontroller. I now also have sd2iec device, that works much better. Need to get 1541 ultimate II...

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
One of my friends had an Armstrad, it was marketed by Schneider (local electronics manufacturer) and called Schneider CPC over here. It was a nice machine that had a faster CPU, more colours, builtin tape or disk drive and a much better BASIC and assembler/machine code implementation than the C64 (and was even cheaper) but sadly it came without hardware support for scrolling and sprites which made it difficult for game developers to use its otherwise good features to the fullest. While static pictures or scenes with not a lot of animation looked better on Armstrad than on C64 due to its larger colour palette (27 on the Armstrad, 16 on the Commie), scrolling of moving objects usually was quite jerky which often had an impact on gameplay.

However, it also had a number of decent games that I really loved to play with my buddy. One of them was Bomb Jack, the Armstrad version was closer to the arcade original than the crappy C64 conv and also much faster.

Later on Armstrad released updated versions of the CPC with hardware scrolling and sprites, more colours and extra RAM but they came too late to be successful. These machines shared the fate of the C128 which also went the way of the Dodo not too long after its release. The new Armstrad versions and the C128 were meant to prolong the live of the 8bit home computer scene but came out only a year or two before Atari and Commodore also released the first 16bit micros so most customers went for the latter and only very few software houses could be bothered to create new games and apps for extended 8bit computers that were more or less doomed right from the start.

Anyone remember the Sinclair QL? I was fascinated by it when it came out but thankfully I didn't buy one (it was unaffordable for me anyway). It was the machine that helped to ruin Sinclair, later on they got sold to Armstrad and that was that...

...and there were even more obscure micro computers back in the day like the BBC Micro by Acorn, Bull Micral 30, Tandy Altair, Matell's Aquarius, Dragon 32, Jupiter ACE, Sinclair ZX-80/81, the quite horrible Oric-1, Microbee, Coleco Adam, etc. Some of them were quite successful, hobbyists were looking for an affordable home computer since the late 70s and jumped on every opportunity they got. Many of these micros came in kit form which helped to keep prices at a minimum.

Lot of computers and good games we just never heard of here in the states.
My aunt lived in Germany in the 80's early 90's and was always talking about her Amiga... still is.
I was looking on LemonAmiga or whatever and there's a few German exclusive titles.
They made new commercial games for the Amiga 500 until 96+ ...wow.
Msx had scrolling issues as well, all those games that got thier big start on it had to load screen by screen :)
Yeah the Amstrad doesn't seem that much better than the c-64 (today big picture wise) but from what I'm looking at it had some better quality software or at least a high good stuff to trash ratio. Here again much of it's titles were just junk or PD.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
c-64 i remember very good titles: pirates, defender of the crown(it was on amiga aswell) yi ar kung-fu and not to mention FROGGER :lolz:

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I only ever played Donkey Kong and Gradius on commodore 64.

It was 1998 and I was 10 years old. I was playing in the alley with my friends and some younger kid we didn`t really play with came down and told us he had the 64.

We all got hyped because none of us ever played the n64, we went to his house and saw that c64. We had no idea what we were looking at but we knew it wasn`t no N64. All he had was Donkey Kong and Gradius we were disappointed at first, but Donkey Kong and Gradius turned out to be some fun games. We managed to beat Donkey Kong, but Gradius was way to hard.

Now that I think about it, either his dad was cruel or didn`t know about video games, to lie to his kid about the 64... :lolz:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Lot of computers and good games we just never heard of here in the states.
My aunt lived in Germany in the 80's early 90's and was always talking about her Amiga... still is.
I was looking on LemonAmiga or whatever and there's a few German exclusive titles.
They made new commercial games for the Amiga 500 until 96+ ...wow.
Msx had scrolling issues as well, all those games that got thier big start on it had to load screen by screen :)
Yeah the Amstrad doesn't seem that much better than the c-64 (today big picture wise) but from what I'm looking at it had some better quality software or at least a high good stuff to trash ratio. Here again much of it's titles were just junk or PD.

Amiga and C64 were really big in Germany, everyone seemed to have one. This made it dead easy to get games, parts, expansions, etc., and the scene is still active to some extend.

Armstrad software support wasn't that good, though. The ratio of C64 to Armstrad releases was about 5:1 at first but then rose to, like, 100:1 in the late 80s. There were only two or three shops in our town that sold Armstrad games, then they started throwing out the old CPCs for super low prices when the new and upgraded versions appeared which proved to be a flop. They came with 3" floppy drives (slightly smaller than a normal 3 1/2" one) and were really great machines for themselves but people wanted games and dev'ers were already gearing up for the 16bit era so they disappeared from the shops quite quickly. When my buddy sold his Armstrad/Schneider to buy an Amiga, he only got 100 Deutschmarks for his rig with CPC, monitor, several joysticks and almost 100 games that was worth ten times as much... ah well.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
C64 and Amiga also in Finland. Amstrad, sinclair spectrums and Atari STs were minority.

There is my current babies

16400479104_31e42d60e9_z.jpg

(you can see my amigas under the other stuff...)

16978146261_2d88d58ff3_z.jpg

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
does anybody know if c-64 and amiga were this big in other european countries aswell? or did they have other preferations?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
miisalo,

great stuff, looks good. Elite on Amiga is THE definitive version, can't count the many hours I've put into it. Especially with SARA.. ;)

Voodoohead,

C64s and Amigas were quite popular all over Europe but Germany, Austria and parts of Scandinavia were the centers of interest.

Holland and Spain also had a strong MSX scene, there still is one in Holland with lots of active user groups and manufacturers who bring out new stuff on special fairs that take place twice a year. The Atari ST also was quite popular there.

In the UK, the Sinclair Spectrum was the #1 micro computer for quite a while before the C64 took off and finally beat the Speccy in sales.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, guy from Fürth. I'm from Nürnberg and another German member called Dampfwalze lives in Erlangen, now we have the whole Metropolregion here, eh! :D

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
ahh good to know...thought the hype was only in germany. We got the franconian triangle completed :P and thx for the welcoming :buttrock:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
Not as elite as some of the other music makers on this forum but I made my own rendition of Platoons awesome level 1 soundtrack.

the mix is a bit soft, turn it up a little :buttrock:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

I didn't know those computers existed back then, most probably weren't in the US market. Where I lived C64/Amiga/Atari were your only option.. unless you were the rich kid with an Apple IIe or PC.