Completing Metal Slug in Arcade

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
How many people have completed any of the Metal Slug games in an Arcade? I remember playing it as a kid but only ever had a few credits so never got anywhere near completing it, imagine some people must have pumped some credits in and seen the end credits.

Was playing 2 player with my buddy the other week on MVS at home and we hammered though loads of credits, would have cost a small fortune if we're paying in an arcade. Such good fun love the metal slug games!

SpoonyBard

n00b
I used to beat them as a kid when i'd play them. But that would pretty much take every quarter I had and every one I could find on the floor quickly before the timer ran out.

Now I just go through them and try to get good enough to beat them on a dollar (or less, if i can). After I run out of four credits, I just restart.

At the moment I can clear the first two or three levels on MS1 without dying. Which is a hell of a lot better than the every twenty to thirty seconds i'd have to throw in another quarter as a kid.

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I almost came close to completing the first one. I would only put 2$ worth and try to complete it. I made it to the final boss but I would always die.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I used to beat them as a kid when i'd play them. But that would pretty much take every quarter I had and every one I could find on the floor quickly before the timer ran out.

This! Exactly. Though now I'm at getting to the last level of MSX under a dollar, haven't really focused too much on the others, and can't ever imagine myself getting to the end of MS3 in any sane amount of money... It's just so long I lose focus.

rumbl3

In Chat With Teh Gh3ys,
First one I can do in under $2 when I was in the arcade. MS3 when I had it on the AES I used to be able to beat it with only dieing once. But I used to play the game every day when I got home till I went to bed for months if not longer when I had no kids etc lol.

I always loved the SS games because I could beat it with any character with one quarter back in the day.

But I grew up doing majority of my gaming off a red cab half a block away from my house so I had to get good at most games and beat them in under a dollar or I would not get much game time for the day lol.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Can't say I've ever seen MS running on the neo cab in the arcade back in the day. It was almost always fighting games.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
This! Exactly. Though now I'm at getting to the last level of MSX under a dollar, haven't really focused too much on the others, and can't ever imagine myself getting to the end of MS3 in any sane amount of money... It's just so long I lose focus.

Imagine all of the brownies you can eat with the money you've saved. :)

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 1 was very popular where i grew up, we finished it a few times at the arcade back in the day, probably did it with 4 or 5 credits.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Only ever finished Metal Slug 1 at the arcades. I remember completing it with 1 credit way back in the day (only Metal Slug game I have 1 cc'ed), took lots of practice on the PS1 version though. The difficulty on the other Slugs makes completion a bit of an investment.

I don't think I ever saw anyone complete any of the others. Or go beyond say level 3 or 4 on the others.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Can't say I've ever seen MS running on the neo cab in the arcade back in the day. It was almost always fighting games.

Same here. There was a Neo cab in the 7-Eleven near my high school, and if I remember correctly it was a 2-slot with SamSho and World Heroes. Later on, I just remember every Neo cab that I came across had Bust-a-Move running on it.

Chris

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
used to have all 10 high scores on a Metal Slug 1 at my local arcade, all one-credit finishes of course. They got the game when it came out in 1996 and never switched it out up until they decided to make the mistake of putting SVC Chaos in it instead. I was so sad because I always liked seeing those old scores on there :(

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
never :( I've kinda hoped to find slug1 in the wild recently just because I've never really 1cc'd a non fighter in the arcade and I finally got around to 1cc'ing slug not too long ago on my cab, It would be cool to do it in a public arcade to me for some reason :)

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
There was one place here called Castles and Coasters that had Metal Slug X in a 2 slot Neo cab. I would go there all the time with friends and we always made sure to spend the first 30 minutes or so playing through Metal Slug X before moving onto other games. Back in 2007 or so they removed the Metal Slug X cart from the cab. Being unable to play Metal Slug in the wild locally anymore made me buy a 4 slot Neo cab 2 days later. I got all the Metal Slug games for just under 200 back in 2007. I never put a Unibios in my big red and keep $2 worth of quarters in the bin just so I can fully simulate that arcade feel. I remove them and place them on the cab and lock the coin door just so friends or I are not tempted to try and get more free men by retrieving the quarters.

I learned how to consolize systems thanks to Jamma Nation X however and sadly the poor cab does not see as much use these days. It also has some very very minor interference issues on the monitor that I don't know how to fix so I just stick with the CMVS.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
How many people have completed any of the Metal Slug games in an arcade? I remember playing it as a kid but only ever had a few credits so never got anywhere near completing it, imagine some people must have pumped some credits in and seen the end credits.
Was playing 2 player with my buddy the other week on MVS at home and we hammered though loads of credits, would have cost a small fortune if we were paying in an arcade. Such good fun love the metal slug games!
That's the advantage of playing the game on your MVS or AES at home- you can play it as much as you like without it costing a hell load of money. If you're trying to actually beat the game (or 1cc it) then it's much cheaper that way. With 2 players you could try to 1/1cc it (beat it with one credit for each player).

Metal Slug or Shock Troopers are good games to start out with beating them or 1cc'ing them, because they're challenging (and require you to learn strategy/tactics) but not too hard.

Last edited:

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
Ive seen a metal slug in a cab once, at the bowling alley here and I think it was MS2

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I rarely beat any games at an actual arcade. Ain't no one got time for that.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Getting a 1CC on most of the Metal Slug games is far from a magical feat.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've completed MS1 in the arcade, back in high school.

aria

Former Moderator
Back when I thought the Neo had peaked and started to die off with SamSho1, I stopped paying attention to new releases. Then one day I went on a nostalgia trip back into an arcade and saw Metal Slug (right when it was released). I was amazed. I pumped quarters into that baby until I beat it. A negative result is that, after beating it, I figured I shouldn't pursue it on home cart. Whoops. Oh well: have it on MVS, more than adequate for home enjoyment, and CD, which has the fun survival mode.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Man, I came late to the game. I didn't really "discover" snk games until my freshman year in high school. I remember as a kid when neogeo first came out and I would stare in awe at it at a local babbages but we couldn't afford it and my short attention span was quickly diverted to a sega genesis and super nintendo. Anyhoo, there was an arcade within walking distance from the high school and they had a couple cabs there. One day while hanging out there, a buddy who worked there showed me metal slug. Never finished it on 2 dollars but we had access to all the tokens we wanted =) This is neither here or there but I remember when they released nfl blitz and it cost .75 per play. the place closed at 9 and we stayed till I think 1 am playing and he just hit the freeplay option. Those were the simple fun days.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
What is the default difficulty set on the MVS compared to the AES version? Is the MVS at normal setting?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I rarely beat any games at an actual arcade. Ain't no one got time for that.

Same here. If I'm good enough to beat an arcade game, chances are I have it at home and I'm in the arcade playing something I don't have.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
What is the default difficulty set on the MVS compared to the AES version? Is the MVS at normal setting?

I believe the default though is 3 or 4 which is maybe just a tad bit more difficult than the normal mode on the AES. The difficulty is whatever the arcade operator chooses to set it at though. It can range from pathetically easy to extremely difficult. I know on my big red if I crank up the difficulty to max the tank boss in the snow level in Metal Slug has a 1 second or less charge time before firing its main cannon. Also the helicopters that drop bombs don't seem to have a pause between volley's, they just keep dropping bombs.

Last edited:

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I believe the default though is 3 or 4 which is maybe just a tad bit more difficult than the normal mode on the AES. The difficulty is whatever the arcade operator chooses to set it at though. It can range from pathetically easy to extremely difficult. I know on my big red if I crank up the difficulty to max the tank boss in the snow level in Metal Slug has a 1 second or less charge time before firing its main cannon. Also the helicopters that drop bombs don't seem to have a pause between volley's, they just keep dropping bombs.
It sounds difficult enough. Although I think Metal Slug 1 is easier than all the others. It lacks the parachute soldiers that fire diagonally and they are annoying. A feature that can be found a lot on Metal Slug 2 and 4 and 5 and 7. I don't find this feature entertaining. Sometimes on MS2 just you can't avoid death because of them that crossfire all along the screen. I wish they didn't exist in the series

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
It lacks the parachute soldiers that fire diagonally and they are annoying. A feature that can be found a lot on Metal Slug 2 and 4 and 5 and 7.

Aren't they in level 3 of MS1? When climbing the cliffs, just before the helicopter.