Computer nerds, I need your help

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I'm using Windows 11. When I download a document for work, generally a pdf I tried to open it in the downloads folder but I get this message:

Windows can not complete the extraction

The destination file could not be created.

The only way I can open the file is if I copy and paste it to another location, the desktop for example. I'm guessing this is some issue with permissions but everything looks ok? Google didn't offer much help either.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Since it's for work, the files you're downloading are likely encrypted. That's why that error usually comes up. Zipcrypto and aes-256 are the most common encryptions, but there are many others. Often the stock Windows file archiver struggles with certain encrypted files.

Download a 3rd party file archiver (7zip, WinRar, Winzip, etc), and make it the default downloader in your browser. Hopefully that will be able to handle whatever file encryption the stock windows one is having issues with.

There are other things that could be causing this problem, but that is the most likely scenario based on that message you received.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Since it's for work, the files you're downloading are likely encrypted. That's why that error usually comes up. Zipcrypto and aes-256 are the most common encryptions, but there are many others. Often the stock Windows file archiver struggles with certain encrypted files.

Download a 3rd party file archiver (7zip, WinRar, Winzip, etc), and make it the default downloader in your browser. Hopefully that will be able to handle whatever file encryption the stock windows one is having issues with.

There are other things that could be causing this problem, but that is the most likely scenario based on that message you received.
Thanks. I downloaded winrar (forgot that even existed) and now the files open no problem.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, Linux is for cool people. That's why the mascot is a penguin.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
theMot is only fully compatible with Windows 3.1 and even then that's at a stretch.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For now. The nag screen to upgrade seems more frequent :/
Hm, mine doesn't do that.

I have the little blue dot in the task bar:

1685301085561.png

But no actual nag screen or anything. I think I got it one time but after that, its just been the dot.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member