Connecticut Elementary School Shooting (AKA "Gun Control Debate" thread...)

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Your point is ridiculous. And you are clearly manipulating what I have said to try and make a point and have failed in the process.

Guns are a mass killing weapon and can do so in a matter of seconds. Do you think the same actions can be done with a knife or a similar bludgeoning weapon without a perpetrator being stopped or overcome... You do, otherwise you would not have compared the two back here...

Idiot.

Go eat a Koala's ass.

Look, I know what you're trying to say. You're trying to say guns are more dangerous than knives. Bla bla bla.

But the fact is, in the right hands, both can be tools that are used to kill someone. One just happens to be more convenient.

But you somehow completely ignore MY actual argument.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Fuck it - Obama needs to launch every nuke we've got at China, Russia, India, Pakistan, Israel, Britain, France, and Germany.

That'll solve all these mundane problems.

God damnit Vulcans, please make first contact and uplift us from our savagery.

While we're at it, add Australia to the list.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I was on the road listening to the story on Npr when it boke. I'm very proud of them, they went about 40 minutes before bringing it up(gun control). Some caller started bringing it up and they cut her of semi quickly and changed the subject.

Time to reflect for a few days.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Went to sleep early yesterday and only heard about this incident now...

As a dad of two small kids... this really freaks me out. Reading about it almost made me cry even though this couldn´t have happened further away. There has been (unrelated) shootings in Finland in recent years but nothing that involved kids so young. (Our school shootings were always late teens shooting classmates, not that that is nice either)
Fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
I didn't know this happened until my friend starting hugging and kissing her 2 year old and 6month old sons. I'm saddened by this, and I my prayers are towards the families of those affected by this.

On a side note, I'm sure they'll reinstate the ban on concealed carry in Illinois again now.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
This is a horribly fucked up turn of events. What pisses me off most is when certain groups use events like these as a platform for their political beliefs. Gun control advocates being the worst offenders, and pro gun advocates being the 2nd worst, fortunately the latter seems to be more emotionally stable than the former. There seems to be a fair amount of intellectually honest "foreigners"'on this site, which is quite refreshing. To those who come from smaller populated countries which espouse the belief that "ban guns and you'll stop the majority of murders" fuck off. This country was built off of the combination of guns and insurrection, and the right to own firearms is built into our founding documents. Now that I am done with my reflexitory defense against gun ownership, if it is even possible for anti gun people to have a rational discussion about the right/legality, at least give it a few fucking days and show a little more tact.

</End drunken rant.>

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
if it wasn't for guns, a lot of us would never have been born.

This is the correct answer and while I know this sounds callous even for me, I really didn't give too much of a shit about this when I 1st saw it.

The internet has really desenstized me to shit like this happening in the world.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
This is a horribly fucked up turn of events. What pisses me off most is when certain groups use events like these as a platform for their political beliefs. Gun control advocates being the worst offenders, and pro gun advocates being the 2nd worst, fortunately the latter seems to be more emotionally stable than the former. There seems to be a fair amount of intellectually honest "foreigners"'on this site, which is quite refreshing. To those who come from smaller populated countries which espouse the belief that "ban guns and you'll stop the majority of murders" fuck off. This country was built off of the combination of guns and insurrection, and the right to own firearms is built into our founding documents. Now that I am done with my reflexitory defense against gun ownership, if it is even possible for anti gun people to have a rational discussion about the right/legality, at least give it a few fucking days and show a little more tact.

</End drunken rant.>
Well, i'm one of those foreigners from a small country who is largely anti guns and i'm always amazed by how successful the pro-gun lobby is in the states. How on earth you can say that the pro-gun lot are more stable is just bizarre... How can you possibly call anyone stable who's slogan is 'You can take my gun when you prize it from my cold dead fingers'?!? Anyway, sorry, I agree with you that now is not the time for political speeches etc. However, at some later point, i'd be very interested in having a rational discussion about rights/legality of gun ownership as i'm always interested in trying to understand other people's ideas/beliefs, even if, quite frankly, I think they're nuts....

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
This country was built off of the combination of guns and insurrection, and the right to own firearms is built into our founding documents.
</End drunken rant.>

So was slavery. I find your rationale outmoded.

I think we are at a point where we can no longer "have it both ways". We either can't have guns or we must have better socially funded infrastructure programs (ie; more taxes, socialized mental health, etc.).

True libertarianism isn't going to work if your neighbors are armed and crazy and nothing is out there to stop them.

Last edited:

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
I can't believe how far this thread has devolved. If we want to get objective, which is never fun, there are a lot of facts that have been left out.

The boy's mother (who was killed first) bought the guns and was the legal owner. The shooter's Facebook said "shooting" was one of his interest. Ironically his mother bought the guns for him and probably allowed him free access to them. For those who said "this maniac should have never been allowed to buy a gun", well he didn't.

Also not stated yet in this thread, the school had recently installed magnetic locks for security reasons, which forced everyone to go to the main entrance and be buzzed in through the main office first. Since his first victim was the Principal you could reasonably assume he was let in more than likely because they knew him and his mom was a teacher there.

A third point not mentioned, the teachers acted very quickly, most of them locking their doors and huddling kids away from windows as soon as they heard shots ring out. I don't doubt their quick thinking prevented this from being much, much worse.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Why is no one talking about arming children?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Their puny weak arms can't handle the recoil, arm breaks -> obamacare, another problem at hand

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I did, on page one.

Congratulations, by post 17 you made a thread about a tragedy a mockery. When on post 13 bokmeow hit the nail on the head when he posted the following:

Any attempts to exploit a political opportunity, by seeking tighter gun regulations or pushing open carry proposals, do unto the whole society a grave disservice.

It is pretty clear where you stand and that you're unable to voice logical gun control arguments because you are so offended by people that support gun ownership that your own rage gets in the way of articulating a good point. I have seen quality arguments for gun control be made, just not from you. So please, take it to the firearms thread. This is not the place for your nonsense.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
23828310.jpg

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
It is pretty clear where you stand and that you're unable to voice logical gun control arguments because you are so offended by people that support gun ownership that your own rage gets in the way of articulating a good point. I have seen quality arguments for gun control be made, just not from you. So please, take it to the firearms thread. This is not the place for your nonsense.

I've mentioned many of the same arguments before as the ones coming from Australia in this thread. You're probably just prejudiced against my posts because you're so high strung and feel the need to defend teh gunz at any turn.

Sometimes I'm serious, and sometimes I'm being a dick, like with the 'arm the children' post on page one. If this had happened at a university, you can bet someone would have complained that college students in whichever state weren't allowed to carry guns to school, like they are in Utah.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20

Look up to see if most of these people who go on rampages have criminal histories prior. In most cases no, so they can easily go into a store and get a gun. :) Gun Laws=No store to get a gun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
On a side note, I'm sure they'll reinstate the ban on concealed carry in Illinois again now.

The ban was found to be unconstitutional. You'd have to repeal or significantly modify the 2nd Amendment.

Why is no one talking about arming children?

Because that's just asinine - though I'm sure some moron out there is advocating for armed guards and teachers to have firearms. But I think you were probably just making fun of that one dude.

So was slavery. I find your rationale outmoded.

I think we are at a point where we can no longer "have it both ways". We either can't have guns or we must have better socially funded infrastructure programs (ie; more taxes, socialized mental health, etc.).

True libertarianism isn't going to work if your neighbors are armed and crazy and nothing is out there to stop them.

How is having firearms and comprehensive social welfare "having it both ways?"

If we actually cared for our poor in this country we'd probably be a lot better off.

Unfortunately access to arms is a constitutionally guaranteed right and social welfare is a policy choice.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The ban was found to be unconstitutional. You'd have to repeal or significantly modify the 2nd Amendment.

Because that's just asinine - though I'm sure some moron out there is advocating for armed guards and teachers to have firearms. But I think you were probably just making fun of that one dude.

How is having firearms and comprehensive social welfare "having it both ways?"

If we actually cared for our poor in this country we'd probably be a lot better off.

Unfortunately access to arms is a constitutionally guaranteed right and social welfare is a policy choice.

I think this is where our members from foreign countries don't follow us. I'd say a large chunk of them are abiding by constitutions that were made within the past 100 years or so. We, as a country, are pretty unique in using such an old document, and our fervent adherence is also pretty unique. I am not saying whether good or bad as I still don't feel this is the thread to argue such topics, but I just want to bring the point up. By western world standards our constitution is pretty ancient.

Basically the argument is just a back and forth of
"its the right of our constitution"
"your constitution is over 200 years old"
but with different wording.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think this is where our members from foreign countries don't follow us. I'd say a large chunk of them are abiding by constitutions that were made within the past 100 years or so. We, as a country, are pretty unique in using such an old document, and our fervent adherence is also pretty unique. I am not saying whether good or bad as I still don't feel this is the thread to argue such topics, but I just want to bring the point up. By western world standards our constitution is pretty ancient.

Basically the argument is just a back and forth of
"its the right of our constitution"
"your constitution is over 200 years old"
but with different wording.

I agree with you.