Console s-video mods (Genesis & PC-engine)

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Hey gang,

I've got a genesis model 2, a pc-engine core grafx and a turbo-duo (US), and i want to add s-video output to them. (i know component is best, but the higher cost and hassle in my setup outweighs the benefits for now).

I was going to go with the neobitz DIY s-video board, but i've read that the neobitz doesnt get along with the genesis..

Whats the best way to get s-video out on the genny? JROK?

for the pc-engine/turbo-duo, are there any problems with using a neobitz or jrok?

anything else i'd need or any advice/suggestions for getting the best s-video out on these babies?

Thanks! :mr_t:

Last edited:

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
Ahh the JROK vs NeoBitz debate.

Because you are not using it with a mvs I would say JROK, as a JROK owner I may be biased. I have heard of compatibility issues with non MVS hardware when using the Neobitz. I cant speak from experience with the Neobitz, but I love my JROK. I got the sync cleaner as well for $15, and have used that and the 4.1 board on a dozen different PCBs as well as a 2 and 1 slot MV-xF.

As far as pinouts, look to dubdubdub.gamesx.com (Avoiding the direct link)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Double check the internal encoders on the consoles you want to mod. Most encoders offer both composite and s-video but dur to mainstream demand only the composite was utilized. The pins the pull s-video from the internal encoder are most likely there. In some cases like a genesis you may need to build a very small and simple circuit for the s-video to work properly, usually just caps and resistors.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The Megadrive does already (internally) output S-Video, refer to the encoders datasheet for information on recommended caps/resistors.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
The model 2, I believe, had 3 different revisions of video chips, 2 of the revs could be modded, the 3rd one could not.

I have about 15 module 2 genny's in my basement that cannot be modded....but that version might be most common up here in Canada...

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Thanks for the info guys!

How can i tell if my genesis has the vid chip that can get s-video out? My genny is on the way from ebay right now, but i will check when it gets here.

And where can i get the info on the circuit diagram and caps/etc i need?
I looked around on gamesx, but didnt see anything (i didnt dive into the forums yet...)

Thanks!

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
OK, i got my genesis today (model 2), and took it apart to check the video encoder.
The chip that i think is the video is a KA2195D (samsung?).
It seems that the desired chip is a CXA...

What are my options on this? a j-rok? or try to get a genesis with the sony cxa chip?

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
OK, after several trips to all of the used game shops around here, i picked up two more genesis consoles.
Got a model 1 with the CXA1145 and a late revision model 2 that has the CXA1645 encoder.
Gonna use the model 2, which i can pull s-vid straight off the chip (with a resistor and cap), instead of the buffer needed on the 1145 (plus i wont have to mess around to pull stereo audio from the headphone circuit like i would on the model 1).

How about the pc-engine?
I have a gore grafx and a US turbo-duo i want to mod...
I'm hearing now that the jrok s-vid board doesnt play nicely with pc-engines. anyone try the neobitz board?
Build my own with a CXA1645 chip?
what are my options on these?

Cheers!