Consumer Electronics: Aesthetics, Design, Functionality.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
I have loved consumer electronics since I was a child.
I've traced that penchant back to a Pioneer receiver my parents had. Something about the clean, straight lines juxtaposing the stale, flannel, wooden aesthetics of our basement. It stuck out like a sore thumb in the entertainment center ... surrounded by plastic and metal of lesser form and means.

Since then, I've learned to understand and appreciate industrial design in consumer electronics even more ... and honestly? Sometimes its just plain difficult existing now, in this time of terrible design.

I'm not sure if its a reflection of dwindling resources,
or consumers getting stupider, less learned, less able to appreciate/understand quality/design,
or if it's capitalism's last days squeezing out quality components and good designers, but
modern consumer electronics are shit

Use this thread to complain about that stuff, or post specific designs you've loved.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
3DS is the most ergonomically deficient modern consumer electronic wonder. The marvel of handheld 3D is cancelled out by the fear of potential dactyl deformation.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
First ... let's talk about the "piano-black" surfacing that's going on.

Is there a SINGLE consumer out there who appreciates/understands/likes this piano-black madness?!

The DSLite was the first machine I remember being totally befuddled about.
"It looks so sexy!" everyone said...
Every blog was up in arms about its "clean design"...
But the machine is/was anything but. The piano-black plastic coating scratched relatively easy, and was a grease-magnet.

I figured SOMEONE would learn the lesson. Instead, I found companies putting out MORE and MORE electronics covered in this shit. It started with trim ... but now entire UNITS are made of the stuff (the newest Xbox360, for example)

The only explanation I can assume for this madness?:
Designers and accountants, desperate to come up with a reason to justify their position's continued existence, realized that XXX number of consumers would repurchase units once they got too scuffed-up/fucked-up/scratched.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
3DS is the most ergonomically deficient modern consumer electronic wonder. The marvel of handheld 3D is cancelled out by the fear of potential dactyl deformation.

The 3DS problems go beyond ergonomics: http://bit.ly/mmTKxl

3DS-screen-scratches.jpg

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I totally agree about the glossy black look that seems to be on everything now. When I bought my new 360, I actually bought the 4gb version and the hdd separately just so I could get the matted black one instead.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I've always loved the Beosound 3000
3867023602_da245d5102.jpg

My parents have the older model (Ouverture? )that also has a cassette player, I'd really like to get my mitts on it.
The Beolab 2500's are rather tinny sounding though.

And of course that old favorite, the neo geo. All fanboyism aside, I can't think of a better looking console.

45_main.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
AES design is untouchable. I know as many people drawn to the system for its design as its games.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The Nokia 8110
throwback_thursday_nokia_8110_2.jpg

Also one of the best mobile phones I've owned.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The Nokia 8110
throwback_thursday_nokia_8110_2.jpg

Also one of the best mobile phones I've owned.

Most 8XXX series Nokias are a work of art. They're actually made to be, but some hit the gaudy buttons instead. I've had an 8800 Carbon Arte in the past:

nokia-8800-carbon-arte.jpg

and now have a 8600 Luna:

nokia-8600-luna.jpg

that I think is an absolute stunner.

Another mobile I had to own was the Sony Xperia X5 Pureness (and yes, its worse design sin is the piano black buttons):

sony-xperia-x5.jpg

sony-xperia-pureness-2.jpg

I'm absolutely enamored by this phone. The understated design, and very modern look especially when it is not transparent/off, seems to get more wow from people than when they can see through it.

I love this stuff, though... Honestly, I pick up a lot of these phones on the cheap since they're just so out of sync with what people want today. It's a shame really. All of these phones are great phones first and foremost. Sure, they may not have 4 inch screens and be mounds of plastic and touchscreen, but they excel in being fantastic phones and are so pocket friendly it is ridiculous. We've really lost touch in the mobile markets. The push now is for bigger and bigger, do more and more of what nobody really gives a shit about. I defy that logic. I carried the Sony Pureness for a full year as my main phone and it was a champion, doing everything flawlessly... I'm getting a bit carried away, but yes, I really do think design aesthetics have taken a complete shit.

Oh, quick bonus... One device I'll never own, but would love to have is the Mobiado 105 GMT in stealth black. Something about that phone just speaks out to me. It's stupid expensive, though, at $4,500. The company also says they won't ship them to the USA, so I'd probably have to have it sent to my villa in Italy... Heh. Seriously, though, rich-fag-dream, but I think it is amazing looking. I really hope someone brings out something similar for us sorry people one day (even if it is minus the yards of sapphire crystal this thing is bathed in). Ah well...

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I'm very much into industrial design, and for it's price, the DS Lite is a great product. It may scratch easily and the hinges should have been stronger, but like everyone else said, the design is super clean.

apple_ipod_color.jpg

g4_imac_lamp.jpg

verner-panton-chair.jpg

214_dieter_jp141108_a.jpg

egg-chair.jpg

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
sony-xperia-x5.jpg

sony-xperia-pureness-2.jpg

I'm absolutely enamored by this phone. The understated design, and very modern look especially when it is not transparent/off, seems to get more wow from people than when they can see through it.

I love this stuff, though... Honestly, I pick up a lot of these phones on the cheap since they're just so out of sync with what people want today. It's a shame really. All of these phones are great phones first and foremost. Sure, they may not have 4 inch screens and be mounds of plastic and touchscreen, but they excel in being fantastic phones and are so pocket friendly it is ridiculous. We've really lost touch in the mobile markets. The push now is for bigger and bigger, do more and more of what nobody really gives a shit about. I defy that logic. I carried the Sony Pureness for a full year as my main phone and it was a champion, doing everything flawlessly... I'm getting a bit carried away, but yes, I really do think design aesthetics have taken a complete shit.

Woah, that phone is amazing... I've never seen anything with a transparent screen like that!

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I totally agree about the glossy black look that seems to be on everything now. When I bought my new 360, I actually bought the 4gb version and the hdd separately just so I could get the matted black one instead.

Same here, I can't stand the glossy black finishes.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Where purpose built machinery becomes an artform:

4443402046_331d500703.jpg

Delicate, expensive components housed in cast iron, glass and other sound noise dampening materials and over engineered to beat hell.

It's solid like an old Mercedes, back before they started building cheap plastic shit to compete with japanese.

Expensive as fuck, but a total throwback to when there was pride and quality in American workmanship....which might have been never, I can't remember that far back tbh.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Woah, that phone is amazing... I've never seen anything with a transparent screen like that!

It's actually very hard to appreciate it in pictures. It's the only phone I've ever seen where the screen actually improves under direct sunlight. It just looks like text is hanging in mid-air. The build quality of the phone is great, minus the keypad. I really think Sony let the phone down with it, but it's a cheap part to replace (and easy, it just snaps off) if it gets too scratched up.

Lenovo is doing a new version of it, trying to steal some of Sony's thunder. It's called the S800 and it has the first ever color transparent screen.

lenovo-s800.jpg

The Sony Pureness is monochrome. It actually only shows shades of white. That's part of the appeal to me... It's so ridiculously basic that it is almost timeless. That being said, I know I'm still going to be buying the S800, just due to loving the transparent screens and the better overall looking build quality of the Lenovo. Although, right now it is rumored to be tri-band which would be a shame.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
mmf5.jpg

A lot of the entry to mid level audiophile turntables really look great. I have a 5.1 and would love to track down a glass platter like the one pictured as I think it just looks classy as hell.

mmf_2_2_whiteweb_lg_15.jpg

music-hall-mmf-9.jpg

acos_rega_planet.jpg

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
102383d1228364809-sansui-ra-500-reverb-amp-mix-desk-ra500.jpg

It's the stargate in a wooden box.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^That reminded me of this:
tivoli-model-one.jpg

Very good sound for such a machine.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's actually very hard to appreciate it in pictures. It's the only phone I've ever seen where the screen actually improves under direct sunlight. It just looks like text is hanging in mid-air. The build quality of the phone is great, minus the keypad. I really think Sony let the phone down with it, but it's a cheap part to replace (and easy, it just snaps off) if it gets too scratched up.

Lenovo is doing a new version of it, trying to steal some of Sony's thunder. It's called the S800 and it has the first ever color transparent screen.

lenovo-s800.jpg

The Sony Pureness is monochrome. It actually only shows shades of white. That's part of the appeal to me... It's so ridiculously basic that it is almost timeless. That being said, I know I'm still going to be buying the S800, just due to loving the transparent screens and the better overall looking build quality of the Lenovo. Although, right now it is rumored to be tri-band which would be a shame.

Dude, who carries these phones? I want one. Don't even see any on ebay, just accessories.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Dude, who carries these phones? I want one. Don't even see any on ebay, just accessories.

I bought my Sony Pureness off of Amazon last May/June for around $300. I believe I got it from Expansys, but there were a lot of people carrying it then at or around the $300-400 price range. That might be a bit pricey for some, but for an unlocked phone, and especially one so unique and just oddball, its a really good price. It also comes with this amazing wireless bluetooth headset:

pureness_headset.jpg

Which is probably worth about $50-80 on its own. Anyway, looking on Amazon now, I only see one used for $380. Not really a great deal. I'd check with places like Mobile City Online, Expansys-USA, Addictedtophones.com, and a few other reputable sellers. I know Mytrendyphone.com has them, but they're a complete hassle to deal with (they want bank transfers for even the cheapest parts) and are usually more expensive than they need to be. Still, it would be new and complete. Long story short, though, I think the supply of them is drying up. They were really easy to score on Amazon last year... and the price was a bit lower as well, but stock is running thin.

The Lenovo S800 isn't out yet. I don't know much about it other than what the pictures show. It's probably going to be out this summer or early fall. Price will probably be reasonable by the holidays. Also, Sony is doing a Pureness 2. No idea how it is going to change, but supposedly the Pureness sold well for such a niche product and Sony isn't one to neglect a niche market if they have cash to burn. That's probably going to be next year.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Where purpose built machinery becomes an artform:
4443402046_331d500703.jpg

Delicate, expensive components housed in cast iron, glass and other sound noise dampening materials and over engineered to beat hell.
It's solid like an old Mercedes, back before they started building cheap plastic shit to compete with japanese.
Expensive as fuck, but a total throwback to when there was pride and quality in American workmanship....which might have been never, I can't remember that far back tbh.

You aint kidding.
@ $7,000 for the set up it's definitely not for the faint of heart, especially since it's mearly a personal mini system. I've sat with one of these setups twice and I'm all for it but not for $7k+ right now.

John Varvatos has one over at his East hampton store and if anyone in the NY are is inclined to go balls out he has a $30 to $40K+ set up (allong with all the vintage Mac, Marantz, Sansui stuff that he sells) over at his flagship shop in NYC at CBGB's on the Bowery. Just the stand.rack on that setup is a few grand.

Back to the topic: i'm a fan of undustrial/product design as well. There are allot of good contributions thus far. I'll come in in just a bit and blow my load (make a contribution) as time permits.

EDIT: BTW, I forgot to mention that the big thing that pisses me off is that the vacume tube that you see in that picture, amack dab in the middle of that Mac unit, is a fake. It's simply a tube that has been gutted and ha dan LED put in the middle of it (that burns green, whatever the fuck thats about). Really cheap, tacky move that rubbed me the wrong way when I demo'd the unit.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
You aint kidding.
@ $7,000 for the set up it's definitely not for the faint of heart, especially since it's mearly a personal mini system. I've sat with one of these setups twice and I'm all for it but not for $7k+ right now.

John Varvatos has one over at his East hampton store and if anyone in the NY are is inclined to go balls out he has a $30 to $40K+ set up (allong with all the vintage Mac, Marantz, Sansui stuff that he sells) over at his flagship shop in NYC at CBGB's on the Bowery. Just the stand.rack on that setup is a few grand.

Back to the topic: i'm a fan of undustrial/product design as well. There are allot of good contributions thus far. I'll come in in just a bit and blow my load (make a contribution) as time permits.

Man, I'd love to visit that shop and see his gear. Next time I'm in NYC, I'll need to make a point of it. That sounds awesome.