Controls on SEGA Naomi not functional

k1702

n00b
Hello everyone, I have been setting up a Naomi board with the piforce with netdimm for the last few weeks,I encountered visual problems with no video signal.I was able to resolve the issue (thanks to

@skate323k137 for his help!)​

The system is firing up normally with no issues ,but certain buttons and joysticks are not functioning.

I attempted the following steps:

1. I accessed the test menu, used the reset data option, used the game configuration control test function.The control test registers the Player 1 joystick and buttons 1-6 and the service and test buttons l wired up to buttons
However P1, P2 start buttons Player 2 joystick and the corresponding buttons 1-6 doesnt register.Overall despite test mode registering P1 controls ,there is no response when I load up a game.Only the service and test buttons work while the game is running.

2. I checked the capcom l/O board for any obvious issues(jamma connector not fastened securely,configured to 2 player not 4 player,the board recognizes the I/O board,kick harness secured )

3. I checked with multimeter for continuity with ground wires(there was continuity with P1 controls,test and service buttons,but no continuity with P2 controls and P1 AND P2 start buttons

From what can tell:

1. I did see a suggestion on various posts to change control output from analog to digital(I checked the options in the test menus to change the setting,so far I see no options for ,either its not present or I'm missing something) How do I do that?

2. I should change out the jamma harness to a new one replacing the ground daisy chain and test for continuity before I connect things up in a permanent configuration?

Thanks for any help and attention!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
You can check the analog/digital controls in the service menu of the individual game (ie. after the selected game had loaded, click the service button on the Naomi). I had to do this with Zombie Revenge, but there’s only a handful of titles that offer this option.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Hello everyone, I have been setting up a Naomi board with the piforce with netdimm for the last few weeks,I encountered visual problems with no video signal.I was able to resolve the issue (thanks to

@skate323k137 for his help!)​

The system is firing up normally with no issues ,but certain buttons and joysticks are not functioning.

I attempted the following steps:

1. I accessed the test menu, used the reset data option, used the game configuration control test function.The control test registers the Player 1 joystick and buttons 1-6 and the service and test buttons l wired up to buttons
However P1, P2 start buttons Player 2 joystick and the corresponding buttons 1-6 doesnt register.Overall despite test mode registering P1 controls ,there is no response when I load up a game.Only the service and test buttons work while the game is running.

2. I checked the capcom l/O board for any obvious issues(jamma connector not fastened securely,configured to 2 player not 4 player,the board recognizes the I/O board,kick harness secured )

3. I checked with multimeter for continuity with ground wires(there was continuity with P1 controls,test and service buttons,but no continuity with P2 controls and P1 AND P2 start buttons

From what can tell:

1. I did see a suggestion on various posts to change control output from analog to digital(I checked the options in the test menus to change the setting,so far I see no options for ,either its not present or I'm missing something) How do I do that?

2. I should change out the jamma harness to a new one replacing the ground daisy chain and test for continuity before I connect things up in a permanent configuration?

Thanks for any help and attention!
try just straight JVS. Use the Capcom I/O for the video signal and power but throw something like a cheap Tucson Logic JVS board into the NAOMI itself. See if that helps. I'd try to bypass the IO board for controls as a troubleshooting method

k1702

n00b
try just straight JVS. Use the Capcom I/O for the video signal and power but throw something like a cheap Tucson Logic JVS board into the NAOMI itself. See if that helps. I'd try to bypass the IO board for controls as a troubleshooting method
Hey awbacon thanks for the additional help! Will attempt workaround with the JVS It is really appreciated ! I must say getting the NAOMI going has been quite the odyssey, first the VGA issues now the I/O board. While l was working with the NAOMI l prepped 4 cabs with CPS 2,IGS PGM and NEOGEO MV1F boards on the side with no issues.
I even installed Darksoft CPS 2 with no issues.

Once again thanks!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Hey awbacon thanks for the additional help! Will attempt workaround with the JVS It is really appreciated ! I must say getting the NAOMI going has been quite the odyssey, first the VGA issues now the I/O board. While l was working with the NAOMI l prepped 4 cabs with CPS 2,IGS PGM and NEOGEO MV1F boards on the side with no issues.
I even installed Darksoft CPS 2 with no issues.

Once again thanks!
NAOMI can be a pain IMO but yeah just try straight JVS. Hope that works!

k1702

n00b
NAOMI can be a pain IMO but yeah just try straight JVS. Hope that works!
Hey awbacon,just a update on my sega naomi, ln my frustration I dropped work on the naomi for a few weeks, skate323k137 in another thread advised me to check the ground wires for continuity. He was right! I changed out the jamma harness to make sure and everything works!! I am glad there was l/O board issues! Thanks for the advice man!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Hey awbacon,just a update on my sega naomi, ln my frustration I dropped work on the naomi for a few weeks, skate323k137 in another thread advised me to check the ground wires for continuity. He was right! I changed out the jamma harness to make sure and everything works!! I am glad there was l/O board issues! Thanks for the advice man!
good to know you got it!