Corrosive foam on the 4 slots...

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hey folks, when the fish paper and foam on the under side of the top board hardens, it will start corroding traces under it.

1680591047363.png

The 4-slot sent to me had a complaint of graphic corruption on slot 4. Here's the corroded via that was the cause of the complaint:

1680591172835.png

BUT... the customer's board had a bad cap kit job so they would be rubbing up against the pins of the chips above them. This meant I had to un-eff the board as part of the repair.

1680591236526.png

Now with the caps installed properly...

1680591441485.png

The top board fits without any interference from below!

1680591296583.png

And if you were wondering about the repair for slot four... It was a simple Kynar patch to the via on the top side of the PCB.

1680591336894.png

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
the PCB will corrode by itself, something in the solder mask that will attack copper

the foam is underneath the battery, and sometimes in other places, its not needed at all and can attract moisture/soak up nasty stuff like the battery acid.
IPA and petrol/label remover will help removing it, getting rid of it is a good thing

FWIW those long legs for the caps is a bad idea, its just asking to be bent and shorted

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I didn't know the foam could cause problems. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for the call out on this.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
the PCB will corrode by itself, something in the solder mask that will attack copper

the foam is underneath the battery, and sometimes in other places, its not needed at all and can attract moisture/soak up nasty stuff like the battery acid.
IPA and petrol/label remover will help removing it, getting rid of it is a good thing

FWIW those long legs for the caps is a bad idea, its just asking to be bent and shorted
I think he was fixing those poorly installed caps.

But yeah that foam stuff is nasty, always a treat to remove.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member

That's why he re-installed the caps properly. It says right there in the first post including pics .

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That original recap job… wow.
I wager the original "work" was probably done by someone who has only recapped single sided PCBs, but tried their hand at dual layer and couldn't get the caps in. Probably heated alternating pads while shoving the legs through, likely after failing to clear the thru holes to begin with :cautious:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I wager the original "work" was probably done by someone who has only recapped single sided PCBs, but tried their hand at dual layer and couldn't get the caps in. Probably heated alternating pads while shoving the legs through, likely after failing to clear the thru holes to begin with :cautious:
I mean in that case, sometimes in old AM radios, snipping leads from old caps- leaving those standing legs long and twisting new caps with presnipped legs into them and soldering those together in a very specific pattern is a technique, but this doesnt even look like that. I have no clue what this person was thinking.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
That original recap job… wow.
Yeah. That was done professionally...

Thanks for the foam advise, i always remove the foam of my boards. Just takes time and lots of patience and lots of IPA

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I mean in that case, sometimes in old AM radios, snipping leads from old caps- leaving those standing legs long and twisting new caps with presnipped legs into them and soldering those together in a very specific pattern is a technique, but this doesnt even look like that. I have no clue what this person was thinking.
yeah they looked a like that:
drjq7qbxys3zwe836.jpeg

technicians didn't have a PCB back then to work on, parts would be wired directly to each other

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Coming from someone with reading issues is a bit controversial don't you think?
controversial like ad hominem from someone who identifies with multiple mental health issues?

there is no value in normalising dysfunctional behaviour

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member

No, it will not. SNK had a lot of problems with cleaning during manufacturing and you'll see a lot of crap inside of vias on many of their Neo Geo boards and that crap will eat away at the vias, but the amount of damage from that over the years that I have seen can be counted on 2 hands. The foam itself is corroding these when it turns hard. The pins on the ICs were green and crusty where the foam was touching them.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
They had used lead free solder too. It was a bitch to remove, even from the solder joints that weren't attached to the heavy ground plane. I had to add leaded solder to it to get it to flow better and come out.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Damn what a disaster waiting to happen with those caps that's crazy.