Couple Who Made MAS Sticks/Superguns Has Passed Away

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Not directly Neo related, but I thought you all might want to know if you haven't yet heard (didn't see this posted on the forums, but I may have missed it)

The couple who predominantly built the MAS sticks and superguns in the 90's and early aughts recently passed in a fire a few days ago. Lynn died immediately, and Theo passed away recently due to too many injuries.

A Go Fund Me for the family as been started to help take care of medical bills and funeral services.

Many of us had/have MAS sticks - my first Supergun was a MAS and I still have an old Neo Twin MAS Stick that Kristoff and I used to play at his house when we were teenagers. These were the OG hardcore fighting game fan peripherals back in the day. Very sad to hear the news.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Oh my god thats horrible. I remember having a SuperNova as well.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Jesus. That's a terrible way to go. RIP.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That is awful :(

My MAS is probably my most prized arcade stick. When I was younger I was working in New Orleans after huricane Katrina. I saved up my money to buy a completely custom MAS, wired for Gamecube, Dreamcast, and Playstation. I even had it shipped to my hotel, so I could use it for MAME on my laptop in my very sparse free time. I brought it home with me, and I used it for many years until the internals died, at which point I rewired it to DB-15 for use with padhacks and adapters, and I still use it to this day.

RIP, and condolences to the family.

MAS-1.jpeg

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
My god.
What sad & tragic news to hear.
Such a horrible tragedy for a family to have to go through.

Thank you for posting this here Y, and thanks for including the link to the go fund me page so help with the funeral.

It's ironic as I have been delving back into gaming recently & MAS/Super Nova stuff was at the top of my list. I mean, if you grew up with the american arcade controls it's hard to do better.

I was actually going to try & see if I can still contact MAS later this month to see if they still dabbled in taking orders.

R.I.P. Thao & Lynn. You guys made a hell of an impact on the gaming scene.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
DIdn't know them, but horrible news... it is adorable that a couple existed in the arcade community making sticks together. RIP

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Wow. I still have my MAS stick and I had no idea as to it's history. Their products were quality. RIP.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
This is absolutely terrible. What city did they live in? There was a huge fire the other day in DFW that destroyed some apartments and houses.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
They were in Orange County, CA.

It was a cooking fire. So tragic. Godspeed, you both.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
ugh, that sucks ballz. Theirs was my first super gun and was quality for what it was back then. I still have the pcb board for the rapid fire buttons I was going to put into a stick sometime.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My sincere condolences to the family. A fire is a terrible way to go.

I have a MAS stick I bought probably in ‘02 or ‘03 I bought from these forums.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Absolutely horrible. Condolences to their loved ones.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Damn. My very first neo was a supernova and mvf1z board. Really nice guy to deal with over the phone. RIP to both.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Very sorry to hear this. Rest easy to both of them.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I never gave much thought to who was actually behind MAS - I certainly would have never guessed a couple. Shitty way to go.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Back in the late 90s, if you wanted to play MVS games at home, you got your supergun (1 of around 3 models available at the time), your debug BIOS from Jeff Kurtz, and your MAS sticks from Thao Nguyen. The guy was a legend. What a crazy and sad story, best wishes to his kids.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Obviously I am a million miles away from it all but over the years talk of MAS sticks and S'Guns have come up. Sad to hear of their demise, what a terrible way to go and for all the pleasure they've undoubtedly brought people they deserve our respects.

RIP

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So sad. Like others here, Supernova was my gateway into the hobby. Loved that setup.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Bummer. Like many here, I for sure knew their stuff. My favorite feature of the MAS stuff was the HUGE wooden main section which was big enough to set almost any PCB on top of. When I see all these itty bitty teeny weeny super guns people sell now I always wonder, “yeah, but where does the board go? On the carpet? On top of the TV? It has to go somewhere.”

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Condolences. Never owned any of their products, but I definitely consider them a part of the Neo scene. I'll donate to there GoFundMe tomorrow. So sad.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Such sad news. I just picked up a lovely AES MAS stick recently, as I always liked their work. I never had room for a cabinet, so MAS was a natural choice over the years for super gun, and now AES, controls. Feels like a small piece of the hobby's history has died. Rest in peace.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Those sticks and super gun were legit. I wanted those back in the day and even reached out to Thao to discuss buying a set but the shipping was a killer to Aus.

Rip.