Crazy Games and Warp

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Shinya Nishigaki and Kenji Eno... such amazing talents. I guess they stood out for me because what they released was mostly for Sega platforms.
Blue Stinger and Illbleed where so broken and busted and yet I loved those games. Illbleed in particular is a weird spectacular mess.

And the D, Enemy Zero, D2, pure atmosphere.

Tragic these guys died and with them a particular way of making games

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Shinya Nishigaki and Kenji Eno... such amazing talents. I guess they stood out for me because what they released was mostly for Sega platforms.
Blue Stinger and Illbleed where so broken and busted and yet I loved those games. Illbleed in particular is a weird spectacular mess.

And the D, Enemy Zero, D2, pure atmosphere.

Tragic these guys died and with them a particular way of making games

Man I thought I was the only fan of Eno and Crazy games.

Blue Stinger is amazing. It’s weird. It’s crazy. It’s awesome. Illbleed is basically an impossible game to play but I love it and hate it in equal measure.

Eno was IMO the better game maker from a story standpoint. I chatted with him years ago before his death about D2 (since it was originally an M2 game) and he was super gracious to let a fan ask him some questions.

Honestly I think Eno was a genius behind a keyboard. The compositions and music he made for D and D2 are still some of the best pieces of gaming music I’ve ever heard.

I’d have loved to have seen modern games from them both. Swery and Suda51 are the new generation of Eno and Nishigaki

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I’d have loved to have seen modern games from them both. Swery and Suda51 are the new generation of Eno and Nishigaki
No doubt about it, though I feel personally Suda falls short, (I do think a lot of his stuff is amazing)

To be honest I'm not sure they would have transitioned so well beyond their epoch, but who knows?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
No doubt about it, though I feel personally Suda falls short, (I do think a lot of his stuff is amazing)

To be honest I'm not sure they would have transitioned so well beyond their epoch, but who knows?

I think Crazy Games would have made some awesome stuff. Deadly Premonition feels as much a tribute to Crazy as it does Twin Peaks.

I’d loved to have seen Eno work on a modern platform in the horror genre as well. Maybe it wouldn’t have been good but I wish we had the option to find out

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I still can't play Illbleed to save my life though. I wish they'd use ANY mechanic other than "tag what you think might scare you to survive"

Early on I did a video on the game because that's how much I love it even if I also hate it lol

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I still can't play Illbleed to save my life though. I wish they'd use ANY mechanic other than "tag what you think might scare you to survive"

Early on I did a video on the game because that's how much I love it even if I also hate it lol

Great stuff! Love your vids

I was thinking a little about what it means in the grand scheme of things that these two guys died prematurely (both in their early 40s), having
contributed the way they did to the gaming landscape as it was being shaped back in the 90s mostly.
It's not so much that they couldn't have transcended had they lived, it is more a fact that they belong to a different time, as did the likes of Sonic Team, Treasure, Am2, SNK, etc.
Non have really made it to today, not in terms of their names being synonymous with a superior type of gaming, save Miyamoto and a few others. Yu Suzuki may have made Shenmue 3 but who amongst common stock players under 25 know who he is?