Crossed Swords 2 AES/MVS and Rom Thread.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
@Fakk2. I'll speak to Jeff about what you mention I guess he is probably already aware of this.

Last edited:

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Good work guys. Ordered the AES copy.

+1 for a jap insert and cart sticker if that were possible at a later date.

Cheers.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
@Electricgrave

If you look at the examples you gave of iron clad and ghost lop I am sure you will see that the prices did not instantly drop once the ROM was available. These things take time to happen and its more likely the prices stayed high before they dropped (sales vs demand). Once the demand drops the prices come down.

So if the CS2 ROM was released now while in the long term I can agree the price would probably be lower the initial price for a good few months would not be. This is why the little extra effort is being put in now because I am personally hoping that when we look back at this in say 5 years this batch of Crossed Swords 2 carts will be more sort after than the ones people make themselves by saccing carts simply because there will be a little history attached to them. The protection of currently original non sacked games is another factor in doing it this way.

I feel you are getting a little ahead of yourself, never has it been said the ROM would not be released. You are just seeing a part of the picture with CS2 and I'm sure once you look backwards on this in the future you will have probably a different overall view.

Thanks for being so classy about this, Raz. I understand where you're coming from and I wish you and all those involved nothing but the best of luck with this project. Perhaps you're right, I could be getting ahead of myself here. It's not always easy for me to see things from a different perspective than my own but nonetheless I appreciate you took the time to explain and add yet another POV to consider.

One could argue though, that GunLord is just an altered Turrican software... ;).

You couldn't argue that because is baseless. One thing is a clone, a tribute game that has been coded from the ground up which has been done countless times in the industry and a whole other is literally altering any given game already produced. Otherwise SFII owns every fighting game ever made after it. It's like saying SFII Rainbow and Fatal Fury Special fall under the same category as SFII offspring.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
The difference it's you could found the code source of turrican

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The difference is Gunlord is an addendum to the all time great Turrican, it almost feels like a spiritual successor, a last battle to be fought. CSII thegame itself is brilliant, I have it for the Neo CD, always loved the first one and the sequels adds to all the great things the first one is known for. This MVS/AES release is just a CSII rom with alterations done (professionally done to say the least) to operate just as if it was released by SNK of old that we know and love for the cart formats.

2 Extremely different situations. Let's get off the "clone rip off" discussion as it has nothing to do with this release.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I am confused, this game comes from NGCD, I doubt Razoola would bother.

He is referring to the bug fixes I have included in this conversion. I will hopefully find the time to add those fixes into the CD version of the game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You couldn't argue that because is baseless.

Well, things like that were at least base enough for the american branch of Capcom to sue DECO. Of course, as we all know, Capcom lost, but it wouldn't be so far strech to say, that it was due to the fact, that DECO pulled Technos Karate Champ into the game, thus changing the source of their rip-off away from SFII... now what could the DEV pull? The fact, that they're... German...?

Anyway, homebrew games are mostly just a tribute to cashing on the ideas of others. It is only a matter of percentage, how much the source was altered, a line which everyone individually draws for themselves. In my opinion Fatal Fury would have been released regardless the existence of SFII, without Turrican though, GL would not.

Let's get off the "clone rip off" discussion...

I hear ya, still, it was interesting to know your opinion, even if the feeling might not be mutual... ;).

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I've never been a fan of any version of Turrican. So that discussion is not one I can contribute to, but I can tell you that Fatal Fury was under development before Street Fighter 2 was released.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Raz, do you know if anyone is already looking at creating a shockbox insert for this, or is this something that you have throught about shipping with the MVS cart..?

Also, do you have some pictures of what the mvs flyers are looking like yet, or is that still being worked on..?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
...and with that in mind without Urban Champion, Karate Champ wouldn't have been. Same thing could be said about Space Invaders and Galaxian/Galaga.

Capcom got overly excited about their milestone game, I can't blame them but even then this type of "thing" has been going on well before SFII and to add to this topic it stretches out way pass the video game industry.

Like I said, it's useless to compare this subject to the CSII cart release.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Raz, do you know if anyone is already looking at creating a shockbox insert for this, or is this something that you have throught about shipping with the MVS cart..?

Also, do you have some pictures of what the mvs flyers are looking like yet, or is that still being worked on..?

There have already been some shock box inserts posted to the thread by a few members, I have not done one myself at this point.

The flyers are basic much like the Crossed Swords 1 flyers, what I have got at present is as follows.

Attachments

• cs2-mvs-flyer-1.jpg
    cs2-mvs-flyer-1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 377
  • cs2-mvs-flyer-2.jpg
    cs2-mvs-flyer-2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 377

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
PM send but I see you already found it. I'll speak to Jeff about what you mention I guess he is probably already aware of this.

Thanks, Just please don't get me wrong here. Knights Chance was a great game, and I love the hell out of it, it's just the sticker on the cart was the only fault that I really found in it's production. It was just missing that piece of glossy tape that normally covers the sticker, which was accidental, and Jeff did use labels that were professionally printed on vinyl label stock and are higher quality than what SNK used. He just forgot about the glossy sticker before the carts went out is all. Otherwise his carts were done with the same detail as SNK does their games from the cart shell, to the manual, to the box art..etc. Knights Chance was tops!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
heads up,

There are only 5 AES Crossed Swords 2 kits left so if anyone is still thinking about it you will need to act quickly or settle for the MVS kit.

Raz

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
heads up,

There are only 5 AES Crossed Swords 2 kits left so if anyone is still thinking about it you will need to act quickly or settle for the MVS kit.

Raz

Damn Raz, those went very quick congrats.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was talking with a friend and fellow member here about this project and he brought up a really good point.

Iron Clad started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
Ghostlop started high and now is worth 100 once it was made public.
This game is being sold for 300 and the uniformity thing is just arts, and mediocre at best if I might add, so the art being uniform point seems null. 200% mark up seems unjustified.
I think he brings a very compelling argument here. I'm not gonna throw him under the bus, if he wanted to be known who he was he would have already posted.
I have to say he kinda open my eyes about this in a whole different way.

Not entirely accurate. When Ironclad went public it was going for $300+ a pop until I stepped in and undercut everyone by making it public that I was going to offer them for $100 each to filter out the Neo community leeches that were just ripping off the community. Let's just say in that first month I made about 220 Ironclad carts.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Not entirely accurate. When Ironclad went public it was going for $300+ a pop until I stepped in and undercut everyone by making it public that I was going to offer them for $100 each to filter out the Neo community leeches that were just ripping off the community. Let's just say in that first month I made about 220 Ironclad carts.

The question is, will Cross Swords 2 be shared with the "Community" or it's ROMs be encased in carbonite forever?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The question is, will Cross Swords 2 be shared with the "Community" or it's ROMs be encased in carbonite forever?

That depends entirely on the people buying the game. We know with every release that people try to dump their game for profit especially ones that lack any type of encryption. Hopefully we don't see this game rom being publicly shared.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
It may not be his game, but it's his fucking time and work. There's nothing egregious about this release. Stop stepping on his dick when there's a line waiting to suck it.

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
Pre-orderd for AES version! Support your great job, Raz!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
It may not be his game, but it's his fucking time and work. There's nothing egregious about this release.
If you are referring to my comment, look at James' reply. Why I brought it up. Plenty of vampires out there waiting to capitalize off others. Ironclad was a completely different situation.

Stop stepping on his dick when there's a line waiting to suck it.
:keke: