CRT Fetish Thread

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so, I just won an auction for a PVM-14L3 (30€ shipped). It's my first PVM... any advice in general and/or on that model?

More specifically:
- From what I've read I won't need a sync cleaner, right?
- I think I read somewhere (can't recall where) that the unused BNC connectors should be covered (caps that had some resistance on them?), is this true or is my memory betraying me?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
so, I just won an auction for a PVM-14L3 (30€ shipped). It's my first PVM... any advice in general and/or on that model?

More specifically:
- From what I've read I won't need a sync cleaner, right?
- I think I read somewhere (can't recall where) that the unused BNC connectors should be covered (caps that had some resistance on them?), is this true or is my memory betraying me?
Well, there is a '14' in the model name, so that means it's a 14 inch monitor (with the viewable screen being less than that).
You will only need a sync cleaner if it's one of the PVM models that needs one.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
"To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies."

That said, the L3 series is new enough that a sync cleaner shouldn't be needed; Its outputs should also auto terminate, so terminator caps shouldn't be necessary either.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
"To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies."
Sometimes you die at the same your last rocket (or BFG shot) kills the Cyberdemon. So you beat the Cyberdemon, but lose the level, and have to start over again.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member

Why are you posting in this thread again? Your lack of expertise will just get you in trouble again. Apparently you didn't learn anything from the previous discussions.

So what PVM models require sync cleaners sir?

xsq

That said, the L3 series is new enough that a sync cleaner shouldn't be needed; Its outputs should also auto terminate, so terminator caps shouldn't be necessary either.
Thanks man!

I just had another look at a brochure I found via google and it does indeed say "automatic 75 Ω termination" for all signals, don't know how I missed it earlier.

Sludgepond

n00b
I'm a happy first time Sony PVM owner! :D
2en6pfq.jpg

Edit:
All cleaned up. The best I could do.
291yts3.jpg

Last edited:

juci

n00b
Nice, where did you get it and for how much?
love hearing stories about people picking these up.

Sludgepond

n00b
Nice, where did you get it and for how much?
love hearing stories about people picking these up.

No exciting story. Just got it on eBay for $150 shipped. Probably over paid but I figure I'd have Paypal insurance if it didn't work or if it was broken during shipping.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
No exciting story. Just got it on eBay for $150 shipped. Probably over paid but I figure I'd have Paypal insurance if it didn't work or if it was broken during shipping.

That seems like a fair price to me, especially on ebay where they can easily go for more. But you do hear stories about people getting these for cheaper all the time.

juci

n00b
yeah you can get them for a good price if you wait, some sellers on ebay are trying to push up the price though...
a whole batch just got put on on ebay in australia and they want ridiculous prices, and the units have damage lol.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
yeah you can get them for a good price if you wait, some sellers on ebay are trying to push up the price though...
a whole batch just got put on on ebay in australia and they want ridiculous prices, and the units have damage lol.

Joe9?

xsq

lol, it's the effect that avatar has now...

Jimmy Joe

n00b
So I've basically been stockpiling CRTs for the past 4 years (I'm a smash bros player so I lug like 5 of them to local tourneys) and recently picked up a couple potentially really awesome RGB monitors for super cheap as they were broken.
Got a
-NEC 4PG (screen doesn't turn on, but sound works and can change inputs)
-NEC XP29 plus (vertical collapse in the picture(looks like a horizontal flatline)).

Anyone have any tips for what to look for to fix these?
I've done some console and controller modding in the past, can solder a bit, but never messed around with high voltage stuff or CRTs.

Also, been lurking this thread for a while, hope to get into NEO GEO and learn what all the fuss is about.
Thanks guys

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
does anyone know anything about the PVM-2043MD? It's a 20" medical monitor.

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sorry Jimmy Joe, cant help you much with that one. Only thing I can say is check if you have a crt repair guy in your area. If you don't know much about crt's I would stay away from opening them up and repairing then since that shit is dangerous.

joe8, like you said that model of pvm is used in the medical field. From what I've hear it has lower specs than the other pvm models of the same size but the RGB picture still looks good.

Jimmy Joe

n00b
Thanks tacoguy. I actually opened it up but there are a ton of boards in there and I couldn't even figure out where to begin. Good news is I found a CRT repair guy coming by this weekend and hopefully he'll fix both and I'll learn a bunch about these monitors from him

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Dumb question. I need a new cable for my consolized MVS unit (the current one is too short and is actually made for my Genesis). I'm using a Sync Strike connected to a PVM 1943MD. I was going to order one from Retro Gaming Cables but I need to know if I need Composite Sync or Composite Video. I assume I want Composite Sync (http://www.retrogamingcables.com/snk-neo-geo-aes-cd-rgb-av-scart-cables-tv-lead.html).

If anyone knows of a cheaper place to buy one of these I'm all ears. $15 isn't bad, but maybe there's a cheaper place.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Dumb question. I need a new cable for my consolized MVS unit (the current one is too short and is actually made for my Genesis). I'm using a Sync Strike connected to a PVM 1943MD. I was going to order one from Retro Gaming Cables but I need to know if I need Composite Sync or Composite Video. I assume I want Composite Sync (http://www.retrogamingcables.com/snk-neo-geo-aes-cd-rgb-av-scart-cables-tv-lead.html).

If anyone knows of a cheaper place to buy one of these I'm all ears. $15 isn't bad, but maybe there's a cheaper place.

That price is about right.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
So do I need the Composite sync then? This is for one of your MVS conversions. :)

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you're using your sync strike it shouldn't matter. Cvid is fine.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok I have another dumb question. I'm attempting to hook up my S-Video modded 2600 and 5200 to my PV 1943MD. However when I select S-Video on the monitor I'm not getting any picture (I get sound though). I've tried playing with all the buttons (ext sync on/off, Trap on/off, etc.) but nothing seems to work. I know I had my 3DO working on this monitor through S-Video so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Any ideas?

I also hooked up my composite modded Intellivision to one of the composite inputs and it does show a picture but it's entirely grayscale with lines. It's like when you try and play a game that uses artifacting with a S-Video cable (neither of which is the case with the Intellivision). Any ideas on this one? I've used the composite out on the monitor before with my NES and it worked just fine so that can't be the issue.

Both of these systems work just fine on another non-RGB PVM I have so the systems themselves shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited: