CRT Fetish Thread

Jimmy Joe

n00b
Thanks guys, that monitor and setup are gorgeous! What's attached to the n64? I thought the 64dd never got made.
Liked how he has the 480p stuff over by the PC monitor too.. I assume it's all looking fantastic. Well done

that sony kx29hv3 is awesome, i didnt know sony made monitors that large with that many lines.
would be a good substitute if you cant get an nec xm.

i would definitely takes the sony over the nec for 240p, because he has

better contrast
flat vertical format
is a lot brighter

the picture is better overall i guess, the downside is that you probably will never find one outside japan

of course this is my opinion

Thanks guys, that monitor and setup are gorgeous! What's attached to the n64? I thought the 64dd never got made.
Liked how he has the 480p stuff over by the PC monitor too.. I assume it's all looking fantastic. Well done

that's right, is a 64dd

they do made a fill and some games for

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
They work now ;)

Great setup, love the look of those vintage Sony speakers. Congrats!

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Guys, what kind of cable is required for a PVM 2730? The RGB input appears to be different than the 25 pin and BNC. Although, it does have an scart input, so could I get RGB through that? I should also ask, how is the sync on this monitor? The 2030 and 2530 don't appear too picky with sync.

pz8d.jpg

Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
If you mean the lower input marked "Digital", that's a male DE-9. It's of no use for video game consoles and the like which output analog RGB.
Would be nice if you had an old CGA or EGA compatible PC laying around though.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
pictures off a sony kx29hv3 taken by a friend who lives in japan , this monitor looks like a pvm 2930qm but is much better, the thing does 800 lines of resolution(the 2930qm has only 620, right?), have amazing black leves and a bunch of rgb inputs in the back, i really doubt that other thing can do better images at this big :-J:-J:-J

View attachment 25213View attachment 25214View attachment 25215View attachment 25216View attachment 25217View attachment 25218View attachment 25219View attachment 25220View attachment 25221View attachment 25223

Damn that sony kx29hv3 is quite nice. I didn't even know such monitors existed. I think spec wise, this monitor is up there for 240p content. The only things I know that surpasses it is the BVM D32 models. But those things are 16:9 instead of 4:3. I think those other similar sized pvm, nec, and mitsubishi monitors display rgb at 600 TVL. Though the nec and mitsubishi are both multi-sync and come in bigger sizes. Still that kx29hv3 is some pretty sweet stuff. Awesome set up.

And for that PVM2730 I think just a normal scart will be fine. Not sure if it will need a sync cleaner of some sort.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I can't say for the smaller Mitsubishi sets, but that sounds about right for my 37 inch model. At that size and with the scan range available, you really can't complain though.

lodsephotos:
Spoiler:

Final Fantasy X HD, PS3 RGsB @480p
tumblr_nk1l5kPXF21tjoo7bo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nk1l5kPXF21tjoo7bo3_1280.jpg

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, PS2 RGsB @480p
tumblr_nk18jnH6xW1tjoo7bo5_1280.jpg

Super Metroid, SNES Mini RGBS @240p
tumblr_nkjdla7gXN1tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg

Paper Mario, N64 RGBS @240p
19efqSf.jpg

King of Fighters Dream Match 1999, Dreamcast RGBS @240p
tumblr_nn01y7MdpG1tjoo7bo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nn01y7MdpG1tjoo7bo4_1280.jpg

Diablo II Lord of Destruction, PC VGA @XGA (1024x768)
tumblr_nnu9z1i1P91tjoo7bo2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Someone 2 miles from my work posted 2 RGB Monitors up for sale on CL last night. I picked one up after work today.

It's an Olympus OEV203

11251259_982459668432004_863947949_n.jpg

I saw it running before I paid but I've got no cables to hook this thing up. Where's the best place to pickup a BNC to SCART cable?

Also am I correct in assuming that I could run 15Khz arcade PCBs on this thing?

If anyone else lives in the middle of nowhere NH here's the listing for the other monitor he's got: http://nh.craigslist.org/ele/5020824799.html

it's an 800 line model but he wants 2 bills (I paid half that for the one I took home)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's the same monitor I have :D

Atomiswave, neo, and cps2 work great on it, but the resistance value needed on the rgb lines varies a bit. The Neo has 75 ohms, the cps2 needs 220 and the Atomiswave is wired straight to the vga jack.

Fixed for you :D
That's the same monitor I have :D

Atomiswave, neo, and cps2 work great on it, but the resistance value needed on the rgb lines varies a bit. The Neo has 75 ohms, the cps2 needs 220 and the Atomiswave is wired straight to the vga jack.
Awesome! Thanks for the info maybe I'll finally get around to building myself a supergun; something I've been debating doing for a while now but wasn't too interested in hooking it up to a video converter/LCD.

I've got an Atomiswave and a NAOMI with Pi-Force kicking around in addition to a bunch of JAMMA stuff.

theres a few places you can get female scart to bnc cables.
http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Xscart+to+bnc.TRS0&_nkw=scart+to+bnc&_sacat=0

easiest way to play arcade pcbs on that is with a supergun, i have a smallcab deluxe supergun.
Thanks for the links.

Looking at this a bit more last night I'm thinking I might just build my own BNC to SCART. look like I can get a 4 channel BNC to BNC for about $10 and then solderable SCART ends for $2 apiece, cut the BNC set in half and I can build myself 2 whole cables for about half the price of the pre-built ones.

I'm getting excited to use this thing, I can't remember the last time I played a console on a CRT.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's exactly what I did.

Also, the monitor is really lenient on sync. Composite video, composite sync, it doesn't really care, it just works. Don't forget that it has component video too.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Looking at this a bit more last night I'm thinking I might just build my own BNC to SCART. look like I can get a 4 channel BNC to BNC for about $10 and then solderable SCART ends for $2 apiece, cut the BNC set in half and I can build myself 2 whole cables for about half the price of the pre-built ones.

Where are you sourcing the SCART connectors from?

juci

n00b
yeah id also like to know, i built a bnc to scart male cable to output to my commodore 64 monitor with scart input just for fun, and it cost over 20 aud in parts lol.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Shame they don't have male connectors as well. Finding somewhere to get those would be nice.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I made a SCART to DB15 box with 2 x RCA for audio out and whenever my PVM is connected I get some terrible buzzing in my audio on otherwise 'quiet' screens (save screen, quiet menu etc). Its made worse by increasing volume. My stereo amplifier, SNES and PVM are all on the same power strip but it doesn't seem to matter if they're separated or not either. If I disconnect my VGA-BNC cable which leads to the PVM the buzzing disappears, or at least it's minimized greatly.

Has anyone come across this before? Shoddy SCART cable? poorly shielded audio wires?

Interesting that if I connect it the same way to a modern 2007+ amplifier I don't have this issue. I've tried the two 80's amp's and I get that damn buzzing.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Could it be some sort of ground loop, with the newer amplifier possibly either grounding everything out properly or at least filtering it out?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Could it be some sort of ground loop, with the newer amplifier possibly either grounding everything out properly or at least filtering it out?

I'm thinking its filtering it out, the newer amp is still two pin AC just like the older amp's. Either my PVM video ground (which is finding its way to audio ground) is introducing noise or it's the video signals doing it via what seems like a very much unshielded SCART cable. Though all the SCART cables I've got aren't really shielded.

Can It still be a ground loop despite it occurring with the PVM disconnected from power physically?

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I won't pretend to know a terribly large amount about how a loop actually ends up occurring, so I can't really say one way or the other.

Have you tried connecting the audio to the PVM, assuming it has an internal speaker(s)?