CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Make sure you're plugging it into the input and not the output, I've done that a few times.

J3ster

n00b
Found a nice BVM 14M4DE but it's convergence seems off :crying:

What's the easiest way to fix this, can i do it myself or should i take it to a tv repair shop.

Here's the photos of the problem;

Photo_5_06_2016_20_58_42.jpg

Photo_5_06_2016_20_58_09.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
It doesn't look that bad IMO, I doubt it is very noticeable in game. If it really bothers you, you could apply some convergence strips or take it to a tech if you're not comfortable with that.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
Assuming it has a similar internal setup to the PVM M-Series, most of that should be able to be cleared up using the convergence rings on the inside of the monitor.
Personally, I would give that a shot before even looking into a TV Repair shop; Though, if you REALLY don't trust yourself, that is obviously the "safer" option.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
If anyone in the GTA feels like breaking their back today, you can make an offer this monster:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/mississauga-peel-region/mitsubishi-35-am-3501r-rgb-crt-monitor-for-retro-games/1172336942?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I don't know anything about this monitor, but between the weight and how old it is, I don't know if it's worth the effort. I don't even know how many TV lines it will do.

I would be tempted if it wasn't in Canada lol...

90s

I would be tempted if it wasn't in Canada lol...

You should make the trip. :lolz:

Learned some more from the seller. It is 600 TV lines, raw sync, and he claims low hours as original apparently had it in storage for years.

I just can't rationalize picking up this behemoth; my 2530 has almost as many TV lines, takes up less space, and I can lift it by myself.

Last edited:

90s

And the Mitsubishi monitors keep coming.

For any members in the Ottawa/Montreal area, pick this baby up free...if your back can take it:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tvs/cornwall-on/tv-monitor/1171313656

It does look a bit rough around the edges. Don't know what model this is, but it looks like it can do RGB (seller sent me pic):

Attachments

• Monitor Back.JPG
    Monitor Back.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
If anyone in the GTA feels like breaking their back today, you can make an offer this monster:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/mississauga-peel-region/mitsubishi-35-am-3501r-rgb-crt-monitor-for-retro-games/1172336942?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I don't know anything about this monitor, but between the weight and how old it is, I don't know if it's worth the effort. I don't even know how many TV lines it will do.

I'm nearly positive I've seen those photos before, especially with note to the carpet and the like. Wonder why they're selling it.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I got to misssauga all the time but 260 pounds. Eff that noise my wife would kill me lol.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
And the Mitsubishi monitors keep coming.

For any members in the Ottawa/Montreal area, pick this baby up free...if your back can take it:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tvs/cornwall-on/tv-monitor/1171313656

It does look a bit rough around the edges. Don't know what model this is, but it looks like it can do RGB (seller sent me pic):

Can't be free but I'm not super stoaked about the model. It looks a bit older and only has 1 bnc input.

Expect the first megaview posting. Do you all think it's worth the effort to go get it? The AM-3501R. It would take an entire day to drive there for me. It would be like 8 hours one way.

I'm kind of looking for a flat screen mega view at the moment like Kyadash has.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Do you all think it's worth the effort to go get it? The AM-3501R. It would take an entire day to drive there for me. It would be like 8 hours one way.
Don't you have a good gaming CRT already? Why not spend the 16 hours playing?

Dragon89o

New Challenger

Picking up CRTs has become a bit of a.. Fetish. (See what I did there? =P)

I am interested in picking up a few so I can do local gaming on things like Halo 1 with multiple xboxs connected. Plus it doesn't hurt to have back ups. Also maybe trade bait for the other monitors that I am looking for. Kind of interested in picking up the best monitor that each brand made and doing a comparison.

Currently looking at trying to find specific NECs, Sony, JVC, and Ikegami monitors.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

It's better when you can show off multiple monitors that are turned off and not being used than it is to show off one good one while playing a game. Duh.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Haha, is that not a thing?

Of course it's a thing. It's also why these things went from being worth nothing to being worth hundreds of dollars for a little 14" screen, with most people not being able to acquire one now.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Just picked up this 32" beast today. Seller had listed it as a PVM-2950Q so I was expecting ~115 lbs not the ~185 lbs this PVM-3230 weighs in at. Pretty stoked to have found such a large monitor in my area, it's a significant upgrade from my 19" 80s PVM.

LIaPCbjh.jpg

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Just picked up this 32" beast today. Seller had listed it as a PVM-2950Q so I was expecting ~115 lbs not the ~185 lbs this PVM-3230 weighs in at. Pretty stoked to have found such a large monitor in my area, it's a significant upgrade from my 19" 80s PVM.

View attachment 36537

Wow that thing is sexy, I have to admit I'm jealous

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Wow that thing is sexy, I have to admit I'm jealous

Thanks man! I was a bit wary about getting a >20" display after reading about PQ issues on larger monitors, but those fears were eliminated after hooking up the NES. :buttrock:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

View attachment 36537

Look at that fucking monster!!! I'm surprised it's not heavier actually.

NES pic or bust!!