CRT Fetish Thread

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Figuring out how to get my GameCube and Dreamcast hooked up to my 20" BVM... Worth the hassle? Or should I just stick with the Framemeister to HDTV?

I'd suggest the Frameister only if you dont have a BVM (which you do lucky dog). I love the XRGB mini but the price is still hefty.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The only way to play GBA
9ed5615db4cb45df361d1e02c418d00d.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Is it just me, or am I not seeing scanlines on that crt?

Not every TV is your Trinitron!

They are there, but you can barely see them. They would probably be a bit more pronounced if the contrast was turned down a tad. I could barely see scanlines on 240p content on mine too, and it's a bit larger.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Not that hard to get real GBA on a cabinet.
Get a Euro Gamecube and GB Player and output RGB to the tube, and use something like a MC Cthulhu to get the buttons working.
Use GBI or Swiss to force 240p, turn off the filters, and have fun.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Not every TV is your Trinitron!

They are there, but you can barely see them. They would probably be a bit more pronounced if the contrast was turned down a tad. I could barely see scanlines on 240p content on mine too, and it's a bit larger.

All true! Definitely not helped by the phone photography, by the way. They're most visible in the Gradius Gaiden grab. This reminds me, the TV has a zoom button that produces sort of unusual results. Don't think I'd ever had zoom before on a CRT.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The zoom is useless. It's only function really is to make widescreen content fit the full screen, but you'd never want to use it because it does some nasty stretching.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The zoom is useless. It's only function really is to make widescreen content fit the full screen, but you'd never want to use it because it does some nasty stretching.

Completely and absolutely useless. It's just so strange to see this function not being handled digitally. Scanlines look rather thick when you turn this on.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So mostly everyone here recommends going with a mod or pal GCN for 240p GBA games on the BVM? How much cheaper is it than just buying the component cables or getting an HDMI mod?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
probably save a few bucks.

more like a hundred bucks, easy.
you can buy a pal GC on fleabay for $50-60, and the GB players are region free.
Get a XenoGC chip from china for $8 and a security bit for $3.
XenoGC is insanely easy to solder in.

Then, buy a small spindle of mini DVD-Rs and a GC MC to SD converter for like $25 total.

GC component cables are $200 minimum.
GC Video Lite is $125, provided you build and program it on your own and have an FPGA dev board.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
more like a hundred bucks, easy.
you can buy a pal GC on fleabay for $50-60, and the GB players are region free.
Get a XenoGC chip from china for $8 and a security bit for $3.
XenoGC is insanely easy to solder in.

Then, buy a small spindle of mini DVD-Rs and a GC MC to SD converter for like $25 total.

GC component cables are $200 minimum.
GC Video Lite is $125, provided you build and program it on your own and have an FPGA dev board.

While the players are region free, I don't think the discs are. So if you have a PAL GC with a U.S. player, you will need the PAL GBA player disc, which are kind of expensive. Unless the xeno GC bypasses the need for the disc?

Question: does the PAL GC with GBA player output the GBA games in 240p? Or at the native resolution of the GC itself (480i I believe)?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
While the players are region free, I don't think the discs are. So if you have a PAL GC with a U.S. player, you will need the PAL GBA player disc, which are kind of expensive. Unless the xeno GC bypasses the need for the disc?

Question: does the PAL GC with GBA player output the GBA games in 240p? Or at the native resolution of the GC itself (480i I believe)?

This is why you get an $8 Xeno GC chip (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-shipping-XENO-GC-for-Gamecube-Chip-NEW-100-WORKING-/281375811703) and a spindle of Mini DVD-Rs
Also, don't use the retail GB Player boot disk.
You burn this:
http://retrorgb.com/gameboyinterface.html

Alternatively, burn an SD loader and run GBI/Swiss off a Gamecube Memory Card to SD Card adapter.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Not that hard to get real GBA on a cabinet.
Get a Euro Gamecube and GB Player and output RGB to the tube, and use something like a MC Cthulhu to get the buttons working.
Use GBI or Swiss to force 240p, turn off the filters, and have fun.
This is half of what I'm doing, GBI with a MC Cthulhu stick + GC dongle. GBA games become a lot funner on a stick!

The video part is YPbPr into a PVM 2950Q but who cares about that

2050-Z

New Challenger

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'd be really worried that's not actually a PAL cube. There seems to be some kind of stock template floating around eBay that lists it as "GameCube - PAL" that USA sellers seem to use. Nothing in the seller's description saying PAL...

Yeah that's a US cube. The seller is just an idiot. 99% of the PAL cubes on eBay are from clueless sellers in the US.