CRT Fetish Thread

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Ok update. I got the 2600 working (I had the wrong cable plugged in), but the Intellivision is still in B&W. No clue why. Is there anything special about the composite on these monitors?

Last edited:

ShiroHagen

n00b
Ok update. I got the 2600 working (I had the wrong cable plugged in), but the Intellivision is still in B&W. No clue why. Is there anything special about the composite on these monitors?

Hi. Is there a pal or ntsc option on your monitor or in the menu? I've had B&W screens on some of my monitors in the past which I have resolved by switching between pal or ntsc...

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
17303132955_a13f7e97f4_c.jpg

17277164066_d889ac725f_c.jpg

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hi. Is there a pal or ntsc option on your monitor or in the menu? I've had B&W screens on some of my monitors in the past which I have resolved by switching between pal or ntsc...

Hmm... Good idea but I don't think so. It's a 1943MD.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The non-medical spec version of that monitor does support multiple color systems, but it claims to do so automatically.

srocket

n00b
So being new to this forum and checking out the sweetness of crt's, I took it upon myself to get a Nec 3PG. Any advise on what to buy to hook my neo geo up to this beast?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You'll need a SCART to BNC connector.

You can either get one with a sync stripper built in or buy a one without a sync cleaning plus a device like the synce strike.

This one has a sync stripper built in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-RGB-Eu...330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edfbbe3ca

This one has no sync stripper built in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-...081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c9a193839

sync strike

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

Then you'll need the NEO GEO SCART cable itself. Normally you can get them off from retro_console_accessories on ebay but it seems like shes not taking any orders at the moment.

srocket

n00b
So if I buy the one with the sync stripper, do I still need to buy the sync strike? On eBay, I see a SNK brand scart cable. Will that cable work? Or would I be better off buying just a no name scart cable?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
So weirdly enough, I purchased a Sony 40xbr800 from an older gentleman up in wood river. All I got to say ill have to find other people to help me move it whenever I decide to move.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So if I buy the one with the sync stripper, do I still need to buy the sync strike? On eBay, I see a SNK brand scart cable. Will that cable work? Or would I be better off buying just a no name scart cable?

Looks like she was only gone for a day but she's back now. Just buy the one she makes. Probably way cheaper than the official neo geo ones and work just as good.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member

The Sync Strike is nice for a few reasons though:

1. It provides power to the stripper unit for those systems that don't automatically provide it through the SCART cable (my Genesis for example)
2. It provides audio breakout for the SCART cable
3. It provides a nice and easy SCART interface for those CRTs that don't have a SCART socket on them. For my PVM all I need is a BNC to DB-15 cable and I'm good to go.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so, I just won an auction for a PVM-14L3 (30€ shipped). It's my first PVM...

Thought I'd follow this up with a few pics of my current "setup". When I got the parcel I almost had a heart attack because there wasn't any cushioning material at all... I made a video while "unpacking" to have evidence in case there were any issues, but thankfully (and to my surprise) the screen survived undamaged.

I'm very pleased with this monitor, the picture is sharp, the colors pop and the scanlines are pronounced enough but not too intense (sorry for the shitty pics, my camera sucks), the size is also right for me. Convergence looks good. I'm just missing a few pixels (3 rows?) at the bottom, maybe I'll eventually open it up and try to adjust the scan, but it doesn't bother me really. I've also turned down the contrast and brightness slightly since I took these...
Spoiler:
0WgExJy.jpg

VS49iq7.jpg

Lg7uG87.jpg

[QUESTIONS:]
This model has a build in speaker that is decent enough for a few quick rounds or if I'm gaming with a friend. I'll just have to build a small converter to mix down the two stereo channels to one mono out - the way I figure this'll work is that I connect the two signal lines each with 4,7 kOhm resistors to the mono line and ground stays ground. Is this correct?
[I came up with this looking at the "Stereo-to-Mono Summing Box" in this handy article: Why Not Wye?. I might be overlooking something obvious, but why does the diagram show both signal lines connected to ground with a 20k resistor?]

I'd also like to be able to hook up stereo headphones for when I'm alone and am doing longer gaming sessions. I know the simplest solution would be to just buy a pair of stereo speakers with headphone out, but I'd like to keep this setup as minimalistic (space wise) as possible. It'd be great if I could implement a headphone amp into the "Summing Box", because the signal most consoles put out is not really loud enough to drive my headphones (otherwise I'd just solder in a potentiometer and a headphone jack). I know about the Objective2 DIY amp (which is easily adapted to work with a mains adapter instead of batteries), but was wondering if anyone knew another (possibly cheaper and not as "high end") solution...

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's some pics of my old Screen, a Sony Trinitron KV-21T3D.
Spoiler:
I really wouldn't recommend this model and I never got it set up to put out a decent picture (I think that shows in the photos). You can only change the settings via the remote when you're using the tuner or supply a composite signal - once you change to RGB (which you have to select manually everytime as well by pressing the aux button twice, otherwise it'll show composite) the picture shifts and changes colors. So you're basically adjusting the RGB picture blind, hoping the changes you make will be right. This also means that if you're going for a good RGB picture, the composite picture you're seeing while adjusting will be shifted and looking bad. You also have to switch off your RGB source while using composite/tuner, otherwise the menu won't be readable because the picture is running. The service mode can only be reached by a entering a code on the remote while the TV is in standby, which adds to the fun... the particular unit I was using also had a very loud flyback (so it won't be running for much longer I think) and the convergence was already going bad.

Had some fun times with it anyway, but now it's time to part... good riddance I guess.

9c2NyWN.jpg

xRVDYgb.jpg

gduwOlZ.jpg

0Pu5x2s.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thought I'd follow this up with a few pics of my current "setup". When I got the parcel I almost had a heart attack because there wasn't any cushioning material at all... I made a video while "unpacking" to have evidence in case there were any issues, but thankfully (and to my surprise) the screen survived undamaged.

I'm very pleased with this monitor, the picture is sharp, the colors pop and the scanlines are pronounced enough but not too intense (sorry for the shitty pics, my camera sucks), the size is also right for me. Convergence looks good. I'm just missing a few pixels (3 rows?) at the bottom, maybe I'll eventually open it up and try to adjust the scan, but it doesn't bother me really. I've also turned down the contrast and brightness slightly since I took these...
Spoiler:
0WgExJy.jpg

VS49iq7.jpg

Lg7uG87.jpg

[QUESTIONS:]
This model has a build in speaker that is decent enough for a few quick rounds or if I'm gaming with a friend. I'll just have to build a small converter to mix down the two stereo channels to one mono out - the way I figure this'll work is that I connect the two signal lines each with 4,7 kOhm resistors to the mono line and ground stays ground. Is this correct?
[I came up with this looking at the "Stereo-to-Mono Summing Box" in this handy article: Why Not Wye?. I might be overlooking something obvious, but why does the diagram show both signal lines connected to ground with a 20k resistor?]

I'd also like to be able to hook up stereo headphones for when I'm alone and am doing longer gaming sessions. I know the simplest solution would be to just buy a pair of stereo speakers with headphone out, but I'd like to keep this setup as minimalistic (space wise) as possible. It'd be great if I could implement a headphone amp into the "Summing Box", because the signal most consoles put out is not really loud enough to drive my headphones (otherwise I'd just solder in a potentiometer and a headphone jack). I know about the Objective2 DIY amp (which is easily adapted to work with a mains adapter instead of batteries), but was wondering if anyone knew another (possibly cheaper and not as "high end") solution...

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's some pics of my old Screen, a Sony Trinitron KV-21T3D.
Spoiler:
I really wouldn't recommend this model and I never got it set up to put out a decent picture (I think that shows in the photos). You can only change the settings via the remote when you're using the tuner or supply a composite signal - once you change to RGB (which you have to select manually everytime as well by pressing the aux button twice, otherwise it'll show composite) the picture shifts and changes colors. So you're basically adjusting the RGB picture blind, hoping the changes you make will be right. This also means that if you're going for a good RGB picture, the composite picture you're seeing while adjusting will be shifted and looking bad. You also have to switch off your RGB source while using composite/tuner, otherwise the menu won't be readable because the picture is running. The service mode can only be reached by a entering a code on the remote while the TV is in standby, which adds to the fun... the particular unit I was using also had a very loud flyback (so it won't be running for much longer I think) and the convergence was already going bad.

Had some fun times with it anyway, but now it's time to part... good riddance I guess.

9c2NyWN.jpg

xRVDYgb.jpg

gduwOlZ.jpg

0Pu5x2s.jpg

For the sound issue, I recently picked up a cheap mid 80's stereo amp. Has 8ohm speaker outputs and a headphone jack. Not hard to find and does a superb job.

xsq

good tip, but it is also a rather bulky solution... I was thinking of something smaller.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For the headphones, look at headphones with an integrated amp. I use a Turtle Beach PS3 headset a lot, it has a headphone jack for audio input and a USB port for power, so it can take line level audio and amplify it.

pictures off a sony kx29hv3 taken by a friend who lives in japan , this monitor looks like a pvm 2930qm but is much better, the thing does 800 lines of resolution(the 2930qm has only 620, right?), have amazing black leves and a bunch of rgb inputs in the back, i really doubt that other thing can do better images at this big :-J:-J:-J

70uuxu.jpg2e4btom.jpgb0rfr3T.pngZjCcE6s.pngP1521vv.pngVak0BFU.pngjLWmKEI.pngXFY86md.pngqfcS8hA.pngD1LbwUX.png

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
pictures off a sony kx29hv3 taken by a friend who lives in japan , this monitor looks like a pvm 2930qm but is much better, the thing does 800 lines of resolution(the 2930qm has only 620, right?), have amazing black leves and a bunch of rgb inputs in the back, i really doubt that other thing can do better images at this big :-J:-J:-J

View attachment 25173

View attachment 25174

View attachment 25175

View attachment 25176

View attachment 25177

View attachment 25178

View attachment 25179

View attachment 25180

View attachment 25181

View attachment 25183

Can't see any of the pics.

xsq

pics work for me... and that setup is godlike.

@GohanX: Thanks for the tip, I'll think about it.

Jimmy Joe

n00b
Wish I had permission to see those pics Lol..
Anyways I finally got my formerly broken NEC XP29 Plus up and running so if the forum lets me I'll post some pics

Wish I had permission to see those pics Lol..
Anyways I finally got my formerly broken NEC XP29 Plus up and running so if the forum lets me I'll post some pics

yes i know, sucks to be a timid neo newbie :lolz:, i could not see some pictures here in a while (actually don't know if i already can :scratch:)

follow the link made by kyadash and you're ready to go

juci

n00b
that sony kx29hv3 is awesome, i didnt know sony made monitors that large with that many lines.
would be a good substitute if you cant get an nec xm.