CRT Fetish Thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ah! You found one finally, congrats!! I'm still waiting on that tiny one I ordered on eBay a while back...

Yup, finally got one thanks to city41. I love it, it's the perfect size for the work room.

Is there a way I can adjust the geometry on this thing to max it out?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yup, finally got one thanks to city41. I love it, it's the perfect size for the work room.

Looking at the front controls on the one you got, your geometry is probably pots in the case. Most of the ones (all the ones I've seen) with that style of front controls don't have on-screen adjustments for it. Still an awesome little monitor.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

Adjustment is done via pots located inside the monitor. AFAIR access is pretty simple - you slide of the case and the pots should be within view a side PCB which swivels out for access.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, whats your take on a Bang and Olufsen Beovision MX3500? Its in nice cosmetic shape, 22" in 4:3 ratio, comes with original remote, as per the label at the back of the TV its type 3160. It pretty, but does anybody have any info regarding RGB performance vs. say a consumer Sony Trinitron TV? How much would you be willing to pay for one in good working order, assuming that this is worthy of interest?

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm loving this new camera; Not only does it take absolutely fantastic photos, but it seems perfect for videos too. Under spoilers so as to not blow up the thread.
Spoiler:
pkvobg.JPG

https://a.pomf.cat/pkvobg.JPG

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Posted this on the shmups forums but I think it would be good here too...

Picked up two Sony GDM-FW900 yesterday on craigslist.
My first impressions so far is that she's a huge bitch. It really didn't look big in the pictures but I was lucky I could fit both in my car.

Haven't really messed with any of the settings yet but the menu seems much more easier to navigate in comparison to my BVM. Since I believe the monitor is only 31khz it can't display any of my older consoles aside from the Dreamcast and up. I would probably need to look for an xrgb 3 in order to hook up older displays. Would a HDMI to VGA adapter work with the frameister?

The pics are too big so I am posting only a few on here but will provide a link to the albulm.
As always the pics were taken by a crappy phone camera...

Is this strictly a VGA monitor?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's an 14N1U. Like I said, I don't think it has a geometry adjust menu. Hidden or otherwise.

I think you're right. The PVM N monitors are from around 1995. They precede the M monitors (1998) which I recall reading somewhere were the first ones to have on-screen controls for stuff like geometry and horizontal/vertical screen position. You will probably have to open up your monitor and adjust pots.

Guspaz

n00b
That's not the case, the N series lasted until nearly the end of the PVM era. I've got three PVM-14N5U at home, I should check their manufacturing dates. Some googling shows a PVM-14N6U manufactured in 2003, though, and I believe the N5 and N6 are the same monitor but with different inputs (RGB on the N6, one less input on the N5).

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Guys, whats your take on a Bang and Olufsen Beovision MX3500? Its in nice cosmetic shape, 22" in 4:3 ratio, comes with original remote, as per the label at the back of the TV its type 3160. It pretty, but does anybody have any info regarding RGB performance vs. say a consumer Sony Trinitron TV? How much would you be willing to pay for one in good working order, assuming that this is worthy of interest?

B&O is quality stuff. I'd expect it to be on par or better than a consumer trinitron. Spend what it's worth to you ;)

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's not the case, the N series lasted until nearly the end of the PVM era. I've got three PVM-14N5U at home, I should check their manufacturing dates. Some googling shows a PVM-14N6U manufactured in 2003, though, and I believe the N5 and N6 are the same monitor but with different inputs (RGB on the N6, one less input on the N5).

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember now seeing newish N monitors when I first became interested in obtaining PVMs but put them out of mind because they all seem lower end than the other Sony pro CRTs (lower res screen, fewer settings and inputs, no RGB on most models).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looking at the front controls on the one you got, your geometry is probably pots in the case. Most of the ones (all the ones I've seen) with that style of front controls don't have on-screen adjustments for it. Still an awesome little monitor.

Adjustment is done via pots located inside the monitor. AFAIR access is pretty simple - you slide of the case and the pots should be within view a side PCB which swivels out for access.

Thanks guys. For future reference for the BVM-8045QD, it is the left side panel. Once you remove the metal shield by removing 4-5 screws per side you then just need to remove two screws that hold the assembly up as it's on a hinge that folds down. Make sure you mark the pots before you make any adjustments so you know where to put it back if you messed up.

bvm-fixed.jpg

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Is this strictly a VGA monitor?

It also has 5 BNC inputs for RGB i believe. I will have to wait to get a HDMI to VGA adapter to try the Frameister. But first the monitor really needs to be calibrated.

I have heard nothing but good stuff about those monitors. Though I think they are exclusive to Europe so we never see them here in the states. And in my opinion, they are probably the best aesthetically pleasing looking crt monitors i've seen so far. From some of the pictures i've seen, i'd say they put out a better picture than the consumer sony crts. Not sure what I would pay for one since I don't know much about them.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I decided to hit some Neo XYX last night, so I flipped my little PVM onto its side, the way one does.
When I switched it on this morning to play some more, the left (bottom) side of the screen had green blobs and I had to get the old degaussing coil out.
Is this normal? Do CRTs generally not like changing orientation?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I decided to hit some Neo XYX last night, so I flipped my little PVM onto its side, the way one does.
When I switched it on this morning to play some more, the left (bottom) side of the screen had green blobs and I had to get the old degaussing coil out.
Is this normal? Do CRTs generally not like changing orientation?

I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my monitor. Did you flip it while it was on? Thats a no no.

My problem went away the next time i powered mine on.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my monitor. Did you flip it while it was on? Thats a no no.

My problem went away the next time i powered mine on.

Yeah I think it was on. I was real gentle when I did it though, and as I say, the green didn't appear until the next day.
Weird...

It's not shown any signs of coming back since I degaussed it, so maybe it's as you say.
Maybe your monitor has a degaussing coil built in. I have to use my big buzzing ring of destiny.

Last edited:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I always find rotating CRTs requires a degauss. Most PVMs should have a degauss button.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I always find rotating CRTs requires a degauss. Most PVMs should have a degauss button.

Degauss also takes place on a CRT every time the power is switched on - that's the loud 'clunk' noise on power up.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Degauss also takes place on a CRT every time the power is switched on - that's the loud 'clunk' noise on power up.

Only on monitors with a built in degaussing coil.
Mine doesn't have one. Maybe the smaller models don't.

Guspaz

n00b
I've got a discolouration in the upper-right corner of my PVM-14L2:

2qRCbRq.jpg

It gets better/worse if I move/rotate the monitor, for example, if I rotate the monitor by 45 degrees, it goes away entirely. Unfortunately, when rotated, it's basically pointing in a direction that I can't see it, and there isn't really anywhere else in my apartment for it to go.

I bought a degaussing coil, a GC 9317, but tried using it twice, and it didn't make any difference. When I was close to the screen the entire screen was super crazy colours, and when I was a few feet away some positions of the degaussing coil would make it disappear, but ultimately when I backed away it came back just as before.

Is there anything that I can do? Do I need to degauss longer? I only kept it close to the screen for a few seconds.

The discolouration only seems to affect red, it doesn't show up on blue or green test screens. It shows up on white, although it's fainter.

Guspaz

n00b
If that were the case, wouldn't the discolouration be the same when the monitor was moved/rotated, instead of going away at different angles?

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
If that were the case, wouldn't the discolouration be the same when the monitor was moved/rotated, instead of going away at different angles?

Ah yeah. Good point...
Worth a try going for a longer degauss session. Like 30 seconds rotating around the screen