CRT Fetish Thread

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Anyone know of any economical options for a SCART switch box...stateside? Options appear to be extremely limited. I was considering purchasing an 8 or 10-port DSUB15 switch box (KVM) with some additional adapters to convert SCART to DSUB15.

I'm curious what everyone is doing here for their setup with multiple consoles to a single monitor.

-stell

I use two of the Bandridge 5 way SCART selectors daisy chained. Not sure where you can find them now though.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Anyone know of any economical options for a SCART switch box...stateside? Options appear to be extremely limited. I was considering purchasing an 8 or 10-port DSUB15 switch box (KVM) with some additional adapters to convert SCART to DSUB15.

I'm curious what everyone is doing here for their setup with multiple consoles to a single monitor.

-stell

A used extron matrix switch is an option - these pop up on the cheap from time to time but personally I just could never justify the effort of converting console cabling to bnc.
In terms of low fuss options you can try tracking down a used or nos Bandridge 5 slot manual switch and if needed daisy chain these.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I use two of the Bandridge 5 way SCART selectors daisy chained. Not sure where you can find them now though.

He pretty much missed the boat on the Bandridge 5 port units. Good luck finding one and if you do, prepare to grab your ankles.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
He pretty much missed the boat on the Bandridge 5 port units. Good luck finding one and if you do, prepare to grab your ankles.

That's a shame, thanks again for the GB. ;)

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

Ya...I eff'd up. I was M.I.A. on the forums during that time. I'm currently using this cheap 4-way SCART switch. It's actually listed on the RetroRGB page as being HORRIBLE. Though I haven't had any issues with it yet...but then again I only have my AV Fami and Mega Drive connected.

Woe is me.../

On a side note, I did get myself a couple new monitors.

PVM-14L2 (Manufactured 2004) - Glad to finally own a PVM that doesn't have shitty corner geometry. Most of the PVMs from the 90s are just so worn...it's pretty much to be expected. I really couldn't imagine the picture getting better than this monitor for retro gaming. Picture is bright, colorful and clear. I'll take some pics later to show off the wonderful geometry.

JVC TM-H1950CG - (Manufactured 2006) - Still waiting on this to arrive as I just ordered it last night. The price was right and after all the PVMs I've owned, it's nice to know I'll have a monitor with a late manufacturer date. Thankfully the one I ordered comes with the RGB/Component ADD-ON card.

Also, does anyone know if that JVC is based on a Sony Pro monitor? I know some of the older JVC monitors straight up looked identical to the Sony, but with a JVC logo slapped on it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I believe the JVC's are rebadged Panasonics.

My favorite RGB monitor that I have ever owned was a JVC. Died a couple years ago and considering how cheap you can get these things nowadays, just wasn't worth repairing.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ohhh, and while I am thinking of it, here is a quick pic of my 14L5 running the Ghouls 'N Ghosts PCB*

IMG_0927.JPG

*ok, that's a lie. It's from my new GroovyMame box I just built. :keke:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Ohhh, and while I am thinking of it, here is a quick pic of my 14L5 running the Ghouls 'N Ghosts PCB*

IMG_0927.JPG

Welcome to the GroovyMAME club! It's a game changer. I know a lot of people around these parts shit-talk MAME, but I think it's mostly out of insecurity and ignorance. They just don't know how to set it up...

Though once you do...mother of god is it great.

Yodd, also give GroovyMAME AISO build a try as well. It requires a bit more configuration, but yields lower audio lag than vanilla GroovyMAME. You'll see/hear the difference. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142143.0.html

The picture on that L5 looks absolutely stunning, my dude. :buttrock:

Did you go Windows 7 or XP for that build?

Best,

-stell

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Welcome to the GroovyMAME club! It's a game changer. I know a lot of people around these parts shit-talk MAME, but I think it's mostly out of insecurity and ignorance. They just don't know how to set it up...

Though once you do...mother of god is it great.

Yodd, also give GroovyMAME AISO build a try as well. It requires a bit more configuration, but yields lower audio lag than vanilla GroovyMAME. You'll see/hear the difference. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142143.0.html

The picture on that L5 looks absolutely stunning, my dude. :buttrock:

Did you go Windows 7 or XP for that build?

Best,

-stell

It's Win7 64bit. G3258 cpu with Radeon 4350 video card. I have seen your posts about it and disabled speedstep in the bios which helped lock down the frame rate to 100%. Still having a couple screenmode issues like R-Type. Instead of displaying at 384 x 256, it displays at something like 768 x 512 interlaced. Just discovered that one this morning. Need to look into it. Plus still deciding which front end I want to use. Probably will stick with Attract Mode.

I'll take a look at that ASIO build tonight.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
It's Win7 64bit. G3258 cpu with Radeon 4350 video card. I have seen your posts about it and disabled speedstep in the bios which helped lock down the frame rate to 100%. Still having a couple screenmode issues like R-Type. Instead of displaying at 384 x 256, it displays at something like 768 x 512 interlaced. Just discovered that one this morning. Need to look into it. Plus still deciding which front end I want to use. Probably will stick with Attract Mode.

Will you be doing a video guide on this? I'd love to build a few systems to put in my universals, and I just can't quite wrap my head around the front end setup. It just never seems to work right.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Will you be doing a video guide on this? I'd love to build a few systems to put in my universals, and I just can't quite wrap my head around the front end setup. It just never seems to work right.

Once I get is nailed down, yeah. I plan to do at least a couple videos on my Groovy Mame setup as I really think people need their eyes opened up to what is now possible.

• Native 15Khz output
  • Original resolution AND refresh rate - No more screen tearing and out of pitch audio
  • undetectable input lag

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

CRT_EmuDriver can be a bit squirrelly with Windows 7 when detecting resolutions. It's not an issue on XP, however XP just doesn't cut it anymore for this purpose. I believe I read something that Windows 7 doesn't detect 15khz monitors correctly unless you had add 75ohm resistors to the video line. I'll need to go back and do more research on this as i'm not certain. The details are buried in the GroovyMAME forum.

I usually use an old Dell LCD (multi-sync) to setup GroovyMAME for the first time. I had to do a few display swaps to get Win7/CRT_Emudriver to grab all the proper resolutions. Once you got it on lock, it's good.

Also I just use the built-in MAME Frontend with a wireless handheld keyboard/trackpad. Just type in what you want and start playing. Not pretty, but functional.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Once I get is nailed down, yeah. I plan to do at least a couple videos on my Groovy Mame setup as I really think people need their eyes opened up to what is now possible.

• Native 15Khz output
  • Original resolution AND refresh rate - No more screen tearing and out of pitch audio
  • undetectable input lag

The settings isn't the difficult part. I think the appeal of the pandoras are that its plug and play and has a nice gui. I've had several Mame setups using jpacs and arcade Vga cards in the past and the hang up was always the menus. I just can't hang with the default mame menu popping up when I exit a game.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

• Native 15Khz output
  • undetectable input lag

Awesome, I look forward to this.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Coolest way to do a GroovyMAME setup would be something like a Intel NUC (or something with similar form factor) with an added JAMMA edge. I wonder if the embedded Intel graphics could be set to output 15k?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Coolest way to do a GroovyMAME setup would be something like a Intel NUC (or something with similar form factor) with an added JAMMA edge. I wonder if the embedded Intel graphics could be set to output 15k?

No. I haven't seen anything in the NUCs that will allow for 15khz. You will need an older ATI/AMD card to make this happen.

I built mini with a Mini ITX motherboard and Silverstone Mini itx case. About 10 inches cubed.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

IMG_0927.JPG

Looks amazing, I can only echo what others have already said about the need of a thorough write up for this project once you get everything set up and find some time.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I run GroovyMame and it's flawless. Saw a video of a guy running a game on it alongside real hardware with no difference whatsoever.

My one issue now is how to set up the frontend. I'm mostly fine with Attract mode, but how do you do a simple search for a game? I can't type "s..p..a" and have it go to Space Invaders. Thinking I'll ditch the huge romset, which was probably the cause of problems with another frontend, and stick to essentials.

These are GroovyMame on a BVM.

EDiWHlfh.jpg

aA9OK81h.jpg

oD4bUhDh.jpg

k6NSsDjh.jpg

Last edited:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

-stell

The answer was right in front of me. I purchased two different types of Extron RGBHV switchers. I'll update y'all once all the gear comes in...

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I run GroovyMame and it's flawless. Saw a video of a guy running a game on it alongside real hardware with no difference whatsoever.

My one issue now is how to set up the frontend. I'm mostly fine with Attract mode, but how do you do a simple search for a game? I can't type "s..p..a" and have it go to Space Invaders. Thinking I'll ditch the huge romset, which was probably the cause of problems with another frontend, and stick to essentials.

These are GroovyMame on a BVM.

View attachment 31577

That picture is absolutely sick. :drool_2: