CRT Fetish Thread

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
What's the best way to get rid of an extra CRT you don't need? I have a 27 inch sony trinitron with S-video I no longer need & don't know what to do with it. No bites on craigslist so far.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
^Call up your nearest recycling center and ask if they still take CRTs. It may seem like a waste to have it scrapped, but there are still tons more CRTs in circulation than people who want them. My local recycling center has hundreds of CRT TVs and monitors collecting dust.

Dragon89o, I can't criticize you for buying so many CRTs as I have just as many... although all under 20", behemoth CRTs aren't for me. But remember that at some point you have to stop and just play games. That's the whole point of this stuff.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Dragon89o, I can't criticize you for buying so many CRTs as I have just as many... although all under 20", behemoth CRTs aren't for me. But remember that at some point you have to stop and just play games. That's the whole point of this stuff.

Thats good advice for many. I think at some point some of us have more fun in the search, restoration, organizing, and displaying than even playing, which is the point of doing all of the other stuff in the first place.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Supposedly 20" is the sweet spot for picture quality on a PVM, but I'm not so sure now that there's really any truth to that.

One thing to consider though is you could have a 600 line 20" monitor or a 600 line 32" monitor - if they have the same line count you could say the 20" monitor has the better PQ for the size?

Not sure if I responded to this yet or not. I had wanted to and I don't think I did. I understand the concept of more TVL and that the BVM-24 has 1k tvl and the 32 has 1k TVL so technically that would mean the 24 would be the sharpest of the two or sharpest monitor period. The issue I have with concept is viewing distance. If you are sitting the distance that you are supposed to sit back based on todays LCD standards you are sitting too far back for your CRT if its much smaller then your CRT. You are losing out on the ability to see actual details in the game for your TVL count. At that point I'd rather have less TVL count but still do RGB to be able to actually see the details the game developers made for us to see. A lot of these smaller monitors viewing distance I think should be on a desk like a computer unless you go with a "behemoth" monitor.

There is only a few that I am interested in 20' or under and they would be the top of each brand. There is 1-2 sony, ikegami, and jvc that would be nice. I'm quite the opposite as you I'm not a huge fan of 20' or smaller crts. I'm having trouble with the BVM-24 currently. The only use I will have for it later is using it for a game capture or recording monitor when I move out and I can have a desk that will support it. It's not meant for a living room. I like console gaming in the living room more then computer desk set up and I think larger crts are better for those cases based on your space and viewing distance. You can't have a 55' LCD on the wall and then a 20' crt and sit the same distance and my couch doesn't have wheels and even if it did I wouldn't be moving it lol.

Thats good advice for many. I think at some point some of us have more fun in the search, restoration, organizing, and displaying than even playing, which is the point of doing all of the other stuff in the first place.

I enjoy the researching anything technology related typically. Knowing a bit more then I did the day prior and progressing in knowledge. I don't know how much I enjoy the hunt though that can just be frustrating for me since I deal with it on so many different levels for things that I want. Either I want something and it quickly gets discontinued or sometimes I see something I want to then find out later it was already discontinued. I also don't mean oh I will just buy it on ebay rare. I'v had to gone to resort to import things and use third parties to import them to the states rare.
I do enjoy actually getting it though and I think I will slightly enjoy the restore and the set up aspect and collecting to a small degree. Also comparing and reviewing them as well.

...don't forget repairing and modding...

Yeah that too =P

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I need to post some real glamor shots of my CRTs some time. Meanwhile I just made a new SCART adapter cable for my Sony KV-25XBR and it works a treat:
983fec834bc23a12b22e9d12bb187e5c.jpg

A friend dug up the service manual for this set once, he found out the tube is the same as the tube used in that era's 25" PVM (2530 I guess), and the chassis is really similar. I don't remember if it has some different firmware or daughter board or what.

In any case this is a unique set, it's from the 80s and has a RGB input meant to be used with an Amiga or similar, and speaker output, and a headphone jack as well. RF, Composite, and RGB, that's it. Not to mention it has a very strange input for composite in on the front, it has a shroud like an RCA cable but the tip is actually a TRS jack. I bought one years ago and though I've never had 3 Composite systems hooked up at once it's nice to have regardless. The KV-20XBR is its smaller sibling and also has a RGB Input.

The RGB connector is the same 34 pin connector as a floppy cable. I can't find anyone selling adapter cables for it (Matt Ross made them years and years ago, remember him?) but it's easy to wire up your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I will admit that the search for my crt monitor did end up with me purchasing multiple monitors as well :D
I ended up with 1 large 37' rgb monitor, 2 20' and smaller monitors, and 2 PC crt monitors. Both the NEC and the Sony BVM took up so much of my time to find but the other ones I lucked into finding them fast and locally.

VGC1612

New Challenger
Someone got a feedback about PVM-14L2?Found 2 of them.BTW is it possible to link multiple monitor?

Last edited:

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
based on the two posts to craigslist I've seen people are starting to realize how much PVM's are worth, both were posted in the 100 to 150 dollar range, forget that

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
I'm trying to minimize, and might be moving soon. I'm looking to trade my NEC XP29 Plus for a 20" Sony PVM. I'm in Georgia, north of Atlanta, any localish takers?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm trying to minimize, and might be moving soon. I'm looking to trade my NEC XP29 Plus for a 20" Sony PVM. I'm in Georgia, north of Atlanta, any localish takers?

Damn dude, I don't think you'll have a problem with that trade. If I weren't so far away I'd take you up on it in a heartbeat. Good luck :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I am close, but I don't want that size lol. I like being able to move my monitors myself. Speaking of, anyone interested in a 32 inch Panny Tau? It's free.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I am close, but I don't want that size lol. I like being able to move my monitors myself. Speaking of, anyone interested in a 32 inch Panny Tau? It's free.

Do eet, 29" monitors are gloooorious!

The XP29 Plus is 118 lbs, so it's not that bad. If you can handle your cab monitors by yourself, I'd think you could take this.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Oh damn! I totally forgot about that shirt campaign! :crying:
Do let me know if you ever do a re-run of this one, or a different shirt, Juci!

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
based on the two posts to craigslist I've seen people are starting to realize how much PVM's are worth, both were posted in the 100 to 150 dollar range, forget that

In Australia 20" PVMs are starting to go for $500+ on eBay at the moment. A BVM-G1A went for $800. These are all auctions mostly starting low. This is madness.

Dragon89o

New Challenger

Hey, I am interested in that trade and I am willing to meet you. I currently have one 19' pvm and one 19' jvc professional monitor. I know someone I can buy a 20' pvm off of or do a trade with to trade you the 20' if you need the 20'.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
In Australia 20" PVMs are starting to go for $500+ on eBay at the moment. A BVM-G1A went for $800. These are all auctions mostly starting low. This is madness.
Seriously? Fuck it, I'm selling my 20L5 then.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
monitors as trade bait for other monitors... it really is happening...

//EDIT:
Do let me know if you ever do a re-run of this one, or a different shirt, Juci!
you can leave your e-mail under "bring it back"... if I understand correctly only 4 more people need to sign up for another run...

Last edited:

Tech&Music

Another Striker
//EDIT:
you can leave your e-mail under "bring it back"... if I understand correctly only 4 more people need to sign up for another run...
I tried hitting the "Ended. Still want one?" button multiple times on both my computer and phone, it just grays out but nothing else happens... Not sure if that's just me or that's just how it is on Teechip.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I tried hitting the "Ended. Still want one?" button multiple times on both my computer and phone, it just grays out but nothing else happens... Not sure if that's just me or that's just how it is on Teechip.
works for me... do you have java and cookies enabled?

and I misread - 16 more to go :(

Spoiler:
f2M3Vkp.jpg