CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm trying to minimize, and might be moving soon. I'm looking to trade my NEC XP29 Plus for a 20" Sony PVM. I'm in Georgia, north of Atlanta, any localish takers?

That's tempting, but I'm afraid that I'd get the NEC and not like it for some reason, and it would be a hell of a drive to go "nope, I think I like the smaller one better!"

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
That's tempting, but I'm afraid that I'd get the NEC and not like it for some reason, and it would be a hell of a drive to go "nope, I think I like the smaller one better!"

Personally, I'd make the move but this is a matter of preference. I like the look of the NEC rgb monitors it's not quite as sharp as the Sony you might own but to me the difference isn't big enough to stop me from going with the larger screen. Plus I like sitting further away from the screen.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
If you're in the Portland area then maybe someday you can check mine out.
I got a bunch of systems hooked up to that monster and a couple of games.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
In Australia 20" PVMs are starting to go for $500+ on eBay at the moment. A BVM-G1A went for $800. These are all auctions mostly starting low. This is madness.

That's crazy. You see that here in the US too but mostly you can still find bargains and avoid the overcharging listings.

I sold my BVM-20G1U for $110 locally, lost some money on what I originally paid but didn't bother me. It was to a cool dude on another forum and I'd rather not gouge someone like that. Most important was getting the floor space back from that unused monitor (its spot on my shelf was taken by a 20F1U with low hours).

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
If you're in the Portland area then maybe someday you can check mine out.
I got a bunch of systems hooked up to that monster and a couple of games.

Im in the portland area. Maybe sometime you me and goomba can meetup or something.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
If you want a pro monitor, one of the bigger ones like a nec or megaview. If you are willing to look outside of that, you can probably get one of the large sony crts, like a 40 inch trinitron.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
1978-06-23.gif

Trinitron

n00b
Sadly didn't jump on the pvm/bvm bandwagon and now they're expensive as f. So I've started looking for an xrgb.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
eh i dont think its really worth it to shell out major bucks for a CRT anyway. Just get a solid consumer CRT (Sony Samsung Toshiba) and you'll be good to go.

I know I have a great Samsung txt2782x CRT that is gorgeous and easily on par and sometimes better then any PVM I have owned.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
A good consumer level tube that has a component video input, paired with a SCART to component adapter looks pretty damn good. Sure, it's not a PVM, but it's definitely acceptable.

A good consumer level tube that has a component video input, paired with a SCART to component adapter looks pretty damn good. Sure, it's not a PVM, but it's definitely acceptable.

can't wait to try out my HD Retrovision SNES cables when they arrive and compare my KV-32FV310 with my 19" PVM

VGC1612

New Challenger
Is D24E1WU best BVM outhere?I found one and i would like to know how much i should put ($) for it

jedfactor

n00b
Would love to get a 32 but cant seem to find one for under £3000. Seems a bit much as you could get a decent OLED for that price.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Best is subjective, a lot of us wouldn't be crazy about playing old consoles on a 1000 line HD PVM. However, I've heard that it is amazing with 720p content.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I've never run across a PVM in the wild. Would love to see/have one cheap.

I recently grabbed a Sony Trinitron KV-36XBR450 for free off Craigslist. What a beast (around 240#) of a TV!
I wish I knew of a CRT repair person/place near me. Small town/area, so there's no chance of it. Composite signals bounce up and down or scroll on content (vertical hold needs changed?) Component inputs look perfect.

I do find with solder jobs, but, I just don't feel comfortable opening up the CRT. Maybe the next time I have to move I'll end up in a location with a CRT repair.

jedfactor

n00b
That's how much they sell for though, seen D24's for sale for £1500, so £800 isn't too bad if its in good condition.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
For anyone who has tried outputting from one monitor to another, is there any perceptible lag introduced? I've got a setup where I'd like to output from a 14L5 to a 27" Trinitron. I'd use the 14L5 when playing by myself and the 27" when friends come over. Being able to do that would simplify having to swap cables around.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There won't be any, analog video distribution amps/splitters are pretty simple and don't digitize the video at any point or anything like that. Just some transistors and similar.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Neat and thanks for the quick reply. Ordered some longer component cables to give it a try! I've already got a component switch for the 27" Trinitron with an open input so I can route the 14L5 to that.

Also today I learned that the 14L5 has a built-in speaker. I guess I never pieced it together since it's not outwardly visible. Sounds way better than the speaker on my JVC or other PVM monitors. External speakers are still way better so I won't be using it, but good to know.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the internal speaker is also mono... OK for short sessions, but stereo is just so much better.